HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Do we:
- draft and develop Catton/Iginla/Helenius/Eiserman, or
- trade that pick in a package for Dvorsky?

I've been to a lot of Sudbury Wolves games this year, and will be attending the playoff games next week. I love Dvorsky. He's such a treat to watch. Very efficient and smart player. I'd be surprised if St. Louis would be willing to part with him for a 5-10 pick. I feel like there's a full extra year of 'certainty' with Dvorsky that you just don't have with a player in that 5-10 range, so why take the risk?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
What do you think of Surin?

I think Chernyshov has the overall better skills, but a lesser work ethic. Surin is crazy physical, who never stops on the ice. He's having a terrific season and is definitely not unskilled. With Chernyshov there is a danger he turns into a Gurianov type player. Skills are there, the willingness is not always there, but the package is enticing.

With Surin even if he doesn't develop into a top 6 forward, he's going to be really unpleasant to play against. He's like a Russian version of Tom Wilson. I would be fine drafting him with Winnipeg's pick. He's solidly ranked early 2nd now, so if we want him, we'll have to take him early.

People who want physical, power forwards, well, Surin is definitely that.

I think Montreal takes more Russians this year. With all the picks they have they need to have some prospects that they can stash, and not be forced to sign everyone in 2 years.

The Russian advantage is their rights don't expire til age 27.

Another player I see moving up is RD Dominik Badinka. He was at one point someone I liked for the Colorado Avalanche pick. Lol He's late 1st now.

There isn't much in Q, but Spencer Gill (RD), Rimouski, I think should be a target for that Colorado pick. Spokane's Will McIsaac (RD) should also be strongly considered with that pick or one of our 3rds.

I would not be surprised if all 3 get taken well before their rankings though.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I've been to a lot of Sudbury Wolves games this year, and will be attending the playoff games next week. I love Dvorsky. He's such a treat to watch. Very efficient and smart player. I'd be surprised if St. Louis would be willing to part with him for a 5-10 pick. I feel like there's a full extra year of 'certainty' with Dvorsky that you just don't have with a player in that 5-10 range, so why take the risk?

What do you think of Nathan Villeneuve? Is he just leaching off the high scoring talent: Goyette, Musty, Dvorak, or is he legit?

He's having a much better season than Pharand (4th 2023, Chicago). He's ranked late 2nd/early 3rd, but some lists have him early 2nd. We need more quality center depth in prospect system for sure

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think Chernyshov has the overall better skills, but a lesser work ethic. Surin is crazy physical, who never stops on the ice. He's having a terrific season and is definitely not unskilled. With Chernyshov there is a danger he turns into a Gurianov type player. Skills are there, the willingness is not always there, but the package is enticing.

With Surin even if he doesn't develop into a top 6 forward, he's going to be really unpleasant to play against. He's like a Russian version of Tom Wilson. I would be fine drafting him with Winnipeg's pick. He's solidly ranked early 2nd now, so if we want him, we'll have to take him early.

People who want physical, power forwards, well, Surin is definitely that.

I think Montreal takes more Russians this year. With all the picks they have they need to have some prospects that they can stash, and not be forced to sign everyone in 2 years.

The Russian advantage is their rights don't expire til age 27.

Another player I see moving up is RD Dominik Badinka. He was at one point someone I liked for the Colorado Avalanche pick. Lol He's late 1st now.

There isn't much in Q, but Spencer Gill (RD), Rimouski, I think should be a target for that Colorado pick. Spokane's Will McIsaac (RD) should also be strongly considered with that pick or one of our 3rds.

I would not be surprised if all 3 get taken well before their rankings though.
If we ended up with Demidov, drafting another skilled Russian with the Jets pick wouldnt shock me. Will Habs go there? I dont know, but it would be crazy for the fans... That draft would get A+ grades just for the 1st round.. :laugh:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If we ended up with Demidov, drafting another skilled Russian with the Jets pick wouldnt shock me. Will Habs go there? I dont know, but it would be crazy for the fans... That draft would get A+ grades just for the 1st round.. :laugh:

Yeah, IF we draft Demidov. Lol 2 Russians in 1st would be insane. I really don't expect it. There's a few players I like at that Winnipeg spot, though.

Reactions: Goldenhands

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah, IF we draft Demidov. Lol 2 Russians in 1st would be insane. I really don't expect it. There's a few players I like at that Winnipeg spot, though.
The idea would be to ease Demidov's transition and integration in the org., would be easier for him to come over with a countrymate since he likely doesnt speak english much like most young Russians.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
What do you think of Nathan Villeneuve? Is he just leaching off the high scoring talent: Goyette, Musty, Dvorak, or is he legit?

He's having a much better season than Pharand (4th 2023, Chicago). He's ranked late 2nd/early 3rd, but some lists have him early 2nd. We need more quality center depth in prospect system for sure
I actually posted earlier in this thread that I think he's a player who might be a "market ineffeciency" type draft case. He was pushed down the line-up early in the season because the Wolves had a strong top-6 made up of good 19/20 year olds and top-tier drafted NHL talent. As the season went on though I noticed he was getting more time with top-6 players and was producing great secondary scoring before the suspension. I don't think he is leaching off Goyette/Musty/Dvorsky either. Checking the scoresheets from the last 10 games he played he had a few points off plays with Goyette and Musty, but most were from players on the Wolves 2nd and 3rd lines. He has a pretty good shot and is a really sturdy player, good frame and good skating. He looks strong out there and I think that bodes well for a strong athlete as he gets into his 20s.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The idea would be to ease Demidov's transition and integration in the org., would be easier for him to come over with a countrymate since he likely doesnt speak english much like most young Russians.
It could happen. I’d venture to say that this type of thinking influenced the Mesar pick. The two players can help each other.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I maintain we need to finish no lower than 5th as i'd put money Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by 6th.

If not, i'd gauge interest for a trade. (Necas?) And if the right player isn't available just go Catton.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Chernyshov. Don't think Artamonov is a first rounder. His compete is lower and I prefer Chernyshov's passing and shooting game. Artamonov's IQ is not very impressive from what I've seen, Chernyshov is at least average.
You have all wrong on Artamonov.

He’s one of the smartest in the draft and his playmaking and compete are his very best attributs.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If Lindstrom and Demidov are gone then I agree with goldenhands they’ll pick one of helenius or iginla. It’s the archetype they like. Complete players with high compete levels.
If both are gone, probably means an excellent D is available...

I see Iginla as a Ryan Leonard-like player, and they chose the big RD instead of him last year...

We'll see.

I know he's a LD, but to me Dickinson is probably the player I like the most in the draft after Celebrini. Reminds me of a more mobile, left handed Weber.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They shouldn’t. They’re not in a position to do it, the forwards prospect pool is empty.
They are definitely in a position to do it. Think of the amount of one goal games that could have gone their way if Dach was healthy and if they had another good offensive player. They should be looking to try to make the playoffs next season.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
They shouldn’t. They’re not in a position to do it, the forwards prospect pool is empty.

Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Roy, Beck, Mesar, Kapanen, F.Xhekaj, Heineman, Farrell and Tuch are all between the ages of 19 and 24....we have plenty of forward depth and a ton on D. If there are anu holes that need to be filled at forward it can be easily accomplished by trading excess D nad some of our cache of high picks.

Why would you think that it is a poor idea to trade the pick for a forward when we can draft one? I can't make any sense of that logic, it is as though people actually think that overall prospect pools matter in a sense that it should be improved at the detriment to the NHL team. Prospects, picks and NHL rostered players are all assets and should be viewed as such.

I always find it funny but sad that people actually have any reaction at all to players graduating from prospect to NHLer as though the prospect pool just took a hit and somehow a problem has been created.

If both are gone, probably means an excellent D is available...

I see Iginla as a Ryan Leonard-like player, and they chose the big RD instead of him last year...

We'll see.

I know he's a LD, but to me Dickinson is probably the player I like the most in the draft after Celebrini. Reminds me of a more mobile, left handed Weber.

I love both Helenius and Iginla so sign me up for this contingency plan all day.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I'm guessing most teams in the top 7 will draft BPA. However sometimes need and current prospect pool plays a part. Can anyone break down the specific needs (Center / Dman / Wing) of these teams:

San Jose
Chicago
Anaheim
Columbus
Arizona
Montreal
Ottawa

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I maintain we need to finish no lower than 5th as i'd put money Demidov and Lindstrom are gone by 6th.

If not, i'd gauge interest for a trade. (Necas?) And if the right player isn't available just go Catton.

Fans draft forwards.
GMs draft defenseman.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
As I have posted, this is a very underrated draft and there will be number of highly skilled forwards who will be available at the bottom of the first round who, if drafted by Montreal, would immediately become one of our most promising forward prospects.

The limited trade value that such lower first round draft choices usually garner, make the trading of such choices improvident, particularly when assessing our pool of forward prospects and the fact that we are at least two years away from being a contender.

Last edited:

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Fans draft forwards.
GMs draft defenseman.
The two teams that worry me a bit or Anaheim and Columbus.

I think it will be between Dickinson and Lindstrom for Anaheim. Likewise for Columbus. My base case right now is that Lindstrom is gone when we pick but demidov is there. However this only works if Dickinson is still there when the first of Anaheim or cbj picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've resigned myself to the idea that this pick is getting traded

I think it's a good time to do it... as long as we are able to add a key piece to our core that fit Suzuki and Caufield's age. Add to the fact that at the 5-7 range spot, there are undersized forwards and D available. Not the pieces we need.

Haven't paid attention to this drafting thread but doubt Eiserman slips to 5-7 right? I think he's going in the top 3. If not Celebrini, I would want Eiserman. And yes, I'm aware of the slipping narrative. Hopefully teams ahead of us take the D men or the smaller skilled forwards. I just don't see Eiserman slipping that much when I look at the talent around him after Celebrini.

What's the scouting report on Iginla? Ranked mid 1st round I believe.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm guessing most teams in the top 7 will draft BPA. However sometimes need and current prospect pool plays a part. Can anyone break down the specific needs (Center / Dman / Wing) of these teams:

San Jose
Chicago
Anaheim
Columbus
Arizona
Montreal
Ottawa

Difficult game to play. I think teams will always target the C's and D's when the BPA is not clear. And that appears to be the case after Celebrini. I expect the smaller forwards to slip a bit and teams will take the bigger guy on D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad