2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Before Parekh and Buium? Those two bring so much offense but fill a big hole on D prospects for Chicago. Two birds kinda thing and I like Catton. My money is on him going to Montreal. They're stacked on D and I can see them taking Catton or Eiserman.
Honestly both are fine but out of the three I like catton more then them both.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
I would be so pissed if they picked Silayev. I don't think he has enough offense. He reminds me of Zadorov.

Agreed. Would be an absolutely massive gamble.

He’s risky for a multitude of reasons and frankly there are better players available at 4/5.

For the life of me I don’t understand the hype. He’s big and skates well, plays solid D. His offensive game is extremely average even against his peers.

You can draft big defensive defenseman later in the draft.

At 5 take catton

Ditto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
For the life of me I don’t understand the hype. He’s big and skates well, plays solid D.
That is the hype.

A player that big who can skate that well and cover that amount of ice surface with his massive wingspan... it's a rarity.

Only players in the league with that profile are Tyler Myers and Jamie Oleksiak.

Only prospects with that profile are Maverick Lamoureux and Elmer Soderblom.

Silayev's upside is higher than all of those players.

If he hits, he will quite literally be the only player of his kind in the league.

That's why he's exciting.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Anybody who questions Parehks skating hasn't watched him play. He's a boom or bust type because he doesn't play any sort of defense what so ever. What he's good at he's elite at and arguably the second most talented kid in this draft.

The odds ain't with the Hawks getting celebrini and as much as I like Eiserman I would have no issues If they took Parekh instead. He actually will be what people think Korchinski is going to be.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
That is the hype.

A player that big who can skate that well and cover that amount of ice surface with his massive wingspan... it's a rarity.

Only players in the league with that profile are Tyler Myers and Jamie Oleksiak.

Only prospects with that profile are Maverick Lamoureux and Elmer Soderblom.

Silayev's upside is higher than all of those players.

If he hits, he will quite literally be the only player of his kind in the league.

That's why he's exciting.
You just described Alex Vlasic.

They already have Vlasic who we know is good. They don't need Silayev. They need RHD.

If Silayev hits he's Vlasic.

Reactions: HawksDub89 and pvr

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You just described Alex Vlasic.

They already have Vlasic who we know is good. They don't need Silayev. They need RHD.

If Silayev hits he's Vlasic.
Putting aside the fact that his ceiling is still higher, in what world would it be a bad thing to have a second Alex Vlasic?

I genuinely fail to see the logic.

If the Blackhawks win the lotto, should they pass on Celebrini because they already have Bedard and Nazar? I don't understand.

You're telling me you don't want a pairing of Vlasic-Silayev that would swallow the entire league whole?

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Putting aside the fact that his ceiling is still higher, in what world would it be a bad thing to have a second Alex Vlasic?

I genuinely fail to see the logic.

If the Blackhawks win the lotto, should they pass on Celebrini because they already have Bedard and Nazar? I don't understand.

You're telling me you don't want a pairing of Vlasic-Silayev that would swallow the entire league whole?
No, but I think Del Mastro is going to be a player and the left side of the D is already crowded with Vlasic, Korchinski and Del Mastro.

they have sooo many LHD prospects, and good ones at that.

They have no RHD prospects outside of Rinzel, and he's far away.

Reactions: HawksDub89

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
No, but I think Del Mastro is going to be a player and the left side of the D is already crowded with Vlasic, Korchinski and Del Mastro.

I’m not weighing in on Silayev because I’ve barely seen him other than highlights, but you can never have enough D prospects on either side.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes. Like if he was Vlasic I'd be upset.
Vlasic is a great 2nd round pick. Need more offense out of a top 5 pick.

Like Brent Seabrook is the bare minimum. That good a defender with that much offense.

So you've already determined after less than a full season in the NHL where Vlasic's ceiling is?

Brent Seabrook in his rookie season had 16 ESP. Vlasic has 14 right now.

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Anybody who questions Parehks skating hasn't watched him play. He's a boom or bust type because he doesn't play any sort of defense what so ever. What he's good at he's elite at and arguably the second most talented kid in this draft.

The odds ain't with the Hawks getting celebrini and as much as I like Eiserman I would have no issues If they took Parekh instead. He actually will be what people think Korchinski is going to be.
Sounds like Eiserman. 2 guys that like to score but defense optional.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Too much talk about D prospects not named Sam Dickinson. Every year, London Knight players are ranked too low, and then the next year or 2 prove they should have been drafted higher. Can skate, can score, can defend. Not sure who I would rank him ahead of, but feel like he's the best overall draft eligible defenseman in the OHL. If we don't get Celebrini, or Demidov, i'd be more than happy with Sam.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I'll ask again, should the Blackhawks pass on Celebrini because they already have Bedard, Nazar, Moore, and Greene down the middle?

That's the argument you're making against Silayev, and it doesn't make sense.

Reactions: MicronMega

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
I'll ask again, should the Blackhawks pass on Celebrini because they already have Bedard, Nazar, Moore, and Greene down the middle?

That's the argument you're making against Silayev, and it doesn't make sense.
No it's not. I don't think Silayev is that much better than any of the guys the Hawks have now.

Celebrini is miles better than anyone on that list other than Bedard.

I'd take Silayev with the Tampa pick, but he won't be there.

I'm just not a fan of the player.

Reactions: Space umpire

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Too much talk about D prospects not named Sam Dickinson. Every year, London Knight players are ranked too low, and then the next year or 2 prove they should have been drafted higher. Can skate, can score, can defend. Not sure who I would rank him ahead of, but feel like he's the best overall draft eligible defenseman in the OHL. If we don't get Celebrini, or Demidov, i'd be more than happy with Sam.
The Knights have had like thirteen guys taken in the first round the past decade?

Reactions: Pez68

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Being the top OHL defenseman in this year's draft isn't saying much. His competition is Parekh and that's kind of it.

He's 6'3" and can skate like the wind. I definitely think Kyle would like him, so I wouldn't rule him out as a pick.

I just don't know that Kyle would necessarily like him more than a Silayev or Lindstrom, should they be available.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

A 6ft2 lefty who excels at the transition game??? I have my doubts.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Knights have had like thirteen guys taken in the first round the past decade?
yes? and?

Being the top OHL defenseman in this year's draft isn't saying much. His competition is Parekh and that's kind of it.

He's 6'3" and can skate like the wind. I definitely think Kyle would like him, so I wouldn't rule him out as a pick.

I just don't know that Kyle would necessarily like him more than a Silayev or Lindstrom, should they be available.
True, yet he hasn't been mentioned, and Parekh has. All I mean is he should be in the conversation here, but hasn't even been mentioned.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Sounds like Eiserman. 2 guys that like to score but defense optional.
On a team that desperately needs scoring that's really not a bad thing.

Outside of Celebrini there's really not alot of all around players in the top ten no matter what anybody tries to decipher from youtube clips. There's an awful lot of elite/very good at one thing types.

Sily might be the unicorn of this draft, but his play fell off considerably after that ridiculous start. If you are getting that monster every game in two years, then he's the no brainer second overall.

BPA is;
Celebrini
Sily/Parekh
Eiserman

These four are going to be first line/first pairing guys.

And then there's a drop-off, and a considerable one at that. No matter what tires people are trying to pump, all these other kids are a notch below those four. And when the GM self sabotaged his team to lose on purpose, you better draft a difference maker then another third line grinder/ second pairing defenseman.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My Plan

Assuming Hawks end up picking #3 and TB pick ends up in similar range as last year

C Cayden Lindstrom - Hawks pick
LW Igor Chernyshov - Lightning pick

With Hawks depth at D I think both picks should be used for talent upfront.

Try to trade back into late 1st (Hawks 2nd + Canucks 2nd) and select LW Tanner Howe

Use the Kings 2nd on defender (2nd round should have many appealing defenders available)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad