2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
To be honest I'm not super excited about any of them. Lindstrom is a long term project.
Any of those two, or any 24 prospect?

I just watched the 20 min shift by shift vs PG. He was definitely noticeable. When he’s moving his feet he looks to be one of the fastest guys out there. Definitely some stuff to work on but has a lot of the tools you’re looking for, and the size obviously is needed on the CBJ long term.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Any of those two, or any 24 prospect?

I just watched the 20 min shift by shift vs PG. He was definitely noticeable. When he’s moving his feet he looks to be one of the fastest guys out there. Definitely some stuff to work on but has a lot of the tools you’re looking for, and the size obviously is needed on the CBJ long term.

Yeah Lindstrom could be great long term but the Jackets need help before 2029 or whenever.

It's just hard to get excited about prospects right now, because I don't think there is a young player solution to the Jackets problems.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Yakemchuk is another "beefy" RD possibly in our range. I've seen only one game so far while binge watching MJ games. No elite tools from my perspective but no major flaws in them either. I just got the impression he's a bit inconsistent in everything he does, like sometimes he makes really lazy and weird defensive reads or fumbles pucks for no apparent reason but there's tons of potential to be an impact player on both ends of the rink. Likely comes with a risk but there isn't Korchinski level concerns about his defensive game imo. I sort of thought of him as a Jiricek/Ceulemans hybrid, like a bit better skater than Jiricek but with inferior puck control and processing skills. I really like his upside.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
I know nothing about him but there's someone in this draft named Michael Brandsegg-Nygård and I think that's cool

I'm gonna do some reading and stuff, i'll come back with an overview... eventually.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This is Lian Bichsel, a big left D that I wanted a couple of years ago. This is the kind of player this team really needs on the back end. Nobody enters the zone against the Jackets thinking they might get hit.

Reactions: Michigan Magic

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is Lian Bichsel, a big left D that I wanted a couple of years ago. This is the kind of player this team really needs on the back end. Nobody enters the zone against the Jackets thinking they might get hit.

We drafted a pretty big RD from that draft, he just needs to fill out.

His numbers look good but I'm still taking Jiricek and Mateychuk first.

We also took a 6'6 giant from that draft lol

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

So are you saying we need to scout one of these for the 2024 draft? Otherwise I'm not sure what this has to do with this thread.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
We drafted a pretty big RD from that draft, he just needs to fill out.

His numbers look good but I'm still taking Jiricek and Mateychuk first.

We also took a 6'6 giant from that draft lol

The giant we took from that draft doesn’t play defense and I don’t know that we want Jiricek going around and hitting people. Anyway, I want the 2024 version Bichsel because we have nobody in the system who does what he does.

On another topic, the Dallas Stars are really good and they have Stankoven, Bourque, and Bichsel in the AHL. If we fire our front office, hiring someone from the Stars might not be a bad thing. But I know nothing of their front office.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The giant we took from that draft doesn’t play defense and I don’t know that we want Jiricek going around and hitting people. Anyway, I want the 2024 version Bichsel because we have nobody in the system who does what he does.

On another topic, the Dallas Stars are really good and they have Stankoven, Bourque, and Bichsel in the AHL. If we fire our front office, hiring someone from the Stars might not be a bad thing. But I know nothing of their front office.
What? This is hockey, he plays defense.... We should definitely want him hitting people.

As for the second part......... What? We have Kent Johnson, Svozil, DBB, Malatesta, Blankenberg and now Jiricek in the AHL... Not to mention towards the end of the season we'll likely have Mateychuk on the roster as well..

What's your point? Other than you want the front office fired

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
What? This is hockey, he plays defense.... We should definitely want him hitting people.

What's your point? Other than you want the front office fired

I want defensemen that hit, not puck movers that aren’t getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Even if you go for the puck moving model, it is not good for holding 1 goal lead leads at the end of the game so I would like a big mean guy who could clear out the front of the net.

Also, you don’t want your super high draft pick who likely will be paid a lot of money and has had a knee injury being known as a someone who hits a lot. Yes, you want him to hit at opportune times, but we need another guy on the back end who is a beast and scares people.

Gudbranson has 2 more years on his contract after this one. It would be nice to have a replacement developing.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I want defensemen that hit, not puck movers that aren’t getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Even if you go for the puck moving model, it is not good for holding 1 goal lead leads at the end of the game so I would like a big mean guy who could clear out the front of the net.

Also, you don’t want your super high draft pick who likely will be paid a lot of money and has had a knee injury being known as a someone who hits a lot. Yes, you want him to hit at opportune times, but we need another guy on the back end who is a beast and scares people.

Gudbranson has 2 more years on his contract after this one. It would be nice to have a replacement developing.
It was always going to be part of Jiricek's game and his aggressive nature. Reeling him in for a past injury is nonsense, the biggest thing with him was always filling out and lower body strength. He was drafted at 6'3" 189lbs, pretty slight for his frame and paired with bad skating it was not a great mix. He's now listed at 209lbs, still learning to use it and I also think far from done adding size but it will be a big part of his game

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It was always going to be part of Jiricek's game and his aggressive nature. Reeling him in for a past injury is nonsense, the biggest thing with him was always filling out and lower body strength. He was drafted at 6'3" 189lbs, pretty slight for his frame and paired with bad skating it was not a great mix. He's now listed at 209lbs, still learning to use it and I also think far from done adding size but it will be a big part of his game

But you don’t want to be what he is know for. I hope Jiricek develops into a big and strong and powerful defenseman that can outmuscle guys and always be a possible big hit, but I see him more as a Jones type. You don’t want him fighting and constantly exposing his body by hitting, just let him throw the occasionally big hit so a forward always knows it is possibility.

So that means we are still lacking a big, hard hitting dude that does hit fairly often, which is what I hope we can find in this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad