2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
i think calling him one-dimensional is a bit reductive. he's an offensive powerhouse – elite shooting, elite one-on-one skill, high-end hockey IQ and good passing.

the comp i've seen is that he's similar to kucherov and is the kind of guy who you build an elite power play around.

the reason why that appeals to me (assuming laine gets moved at some point) is that it allows columbus to 'flip' PP1 – gaudreau could attack downhill on the left flank with fantilli in the high slot and eiserman in the right circle as one-timer options.

in cbj terms, he'd be like a left handed panarin who is more inclined to shoot the puck.
I'll take your word for it at the moment! Right now, I'm still holding out hope for a turnaround starting with the Blackhawks game.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Head coach fired right before the season. Healthy scratching “star” players. Young prospects not panning out. Nine game losing streak.

Pretty obvious were in the midst of another lost season under the bald asshole and crappy ownership.

Bring on the tank.

See:
IMG_3101.jpeg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
i think calling him one-dimensional is a bit reductive. he's an offensive powerhouse – elite shooting, elite one-on-one skill, high-end hockey IQ and good passing.

the comp i've seen is that he's similar to kucherov and is the kind of guy who you build an elite power play around.

the reason why that appeals to me (assuming laine gets moved at some point) is that it allows columbus to 'flip' PP1 – gaudreau could attack downhill on the left flank with fantilli in the high slot and eiserman in the right circle as one-timer options.

in cbj terms, he'd be like a left handed panarin who is more inclined to shoot the puck.

FYI Eiserman is RH. Hockeydb has it wrong.

I think we already have more than enough pieces to remodel our PP (once we give up on Zach as PP QB).

Chinakhov and Fantilli are both great halfwall options as well, either as one timer threats or "attack downhill" guys. Fantilli is really impressive in how many one timers he can get on net. He hasn't scored them in the NHL yet but he's been very close several times, and hardly ever missed.

I'm sick of myself saying it but the player we need is basically Bjorkstrand, a smart two-way veteran who keeps the puck in the offensive zone with long possessions. We can't really fix that shortcoming through the draft I don't think. You'd sooner train a player like Chinakhov to become that, and that will still take years.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Fantilli
Eiserman/Celebrini

Their new plan is to build the next dynasty by tanking for 2 years at the perfect time :sarcasm:

This was the thread that I hoped we wouldn’t have to be bothered to open

I guess you still have to wish for the best possible C to play behind Fantilli or best possible RD to play above or behind Jiricek.

Another W or LD would feel bit of a ”waste”

Last edited:

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Fantilli
Eiserman/Celebrini

Their new plan is to build the next dynasty by tanking for 2 years at the perfect time :sarcasm:

This was the thread that I hoped we wouldn’t have to be bothered to open

I guess you still have to wish for the best possible C to play behind Fantilli or best possible RD to play above or behind Jiricek.

Another W or LD would feel bit of a ”waste”
Once the two offensive players are gone here's the RD. Michigan State just swept #1 Wisconsin.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Where have you seen that comp? Feels a little too generous based on the playmaking I've seen from Eiserman.

Panarin and Kucherov are deceptive, technically very talented and versatile puck handlers and super quick at processing the game offensively, which make them elite passers even in stationary playmaking on the PP. They can see 3 or 4 passing options from the halfwall and are capable of making any of those passes because of their skillset.

Eiserman's puckhandling looks quick and consistent, and he's great at receiving even difficult passes and one-time them, but next to those two guys his versatility and creativity is lacking. On top of that, I'm not sure if he's even close to having that agility/elusiviness Panarin has. Panarin consistently came out of corner battles with the puck and could change shooting/passing angles on the top of faceoff circle with a couple quick steps that would fool the PKer.... so far I haven't seen that type of stuff from Eiserman.

FYI Eiserman is RH.
He's lefty.

Reactions: majormajor

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Where have you seen that comp? Feels a little too generous based on the playmaking I've seen from Eiserman.
scott wheeler's latest mailbag said he reminds him of kucherov stylistically on the power play but that kucherov is on a different level.

Eiserman’s a trickier one because there are so few one-dimensional ultra-scorer types to pull from and he doesn’t really fit the moulds of any of Phil Kessel, Patrik Laine, Cole Caufield, etc. He can give you that feeling that Nikita Kucherov gives you inside the offensive zone. By the time a pass across to Kucherov is about five to 10 feet away from him, you know whether there’s a goal or a post coming — you say in your head, “Here comes another one,” before he has even touched the puck. Kucherov’s never been a committed or reliable defensive player, either. But Kucherov is also a 100-point machine and first-ballot Hall of Famer, and it goes without saying that Eiserman is almost certainly not going to be that (I’m not sure Eiserman has the rest of Kucherov’s offensive arsenal/feel either).

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
FYI Eiserman is RH.

I think we already have more than enough pieces to remodel our PP (once we give up on Zach as PP QB).

Chinakhov and Fantilli are both great halfwall options as well, either as one timer threats or "attack downhill" guys. Fantilli is really impressive in how many one timers he can get on net. He hasn't scored them in the NHL yet but he's been very close several times, and hardly ever missed.

I'm sick of myself saying it but the player we need is basically Bjorkstrand, a smart two-way veteran who keeps the puck in the offensive zone with long possessions. We can't really fix that shortcoming through the draft I don't think. You'd sooner train a player like Chinakhov to become that, and that will still take years.
Fantilli will get there, he'll be our most disruptive forward for years. Marchenko and Chinakhov both have the body for it and while Marchenko has the skills aswell we will have to see if they have the determination to do it. Thats always the toughest part. These kids can either fade into nothing or do what Bjorkstrand did and evolve his game.
Its an interesting thought exercise to determine the best way to get players to think that way. Sometimes you want them in positions to succeed but they can get comfortable. You sometimes want them in tougher spots to work through and many fizzle or just feel slighted.
Our staff management and coaching clearly have no 1 size fits all thing which normally is fair but for Sillinger specifically it seems like there is no plan.

It would be cool if we could draft someone like Ryan Leonard though if im picking a name from last draft

Reactions: majormajor

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
Fantilli will get there, he'll be our most disruptive forward for years. Marchenko and Chinakhov both have the body for it and while Marchenko has the skills aswell we will have to see if they have the determination to do it. Thats always the toughest part. These kids can either fade into nothing or do what Bjorkstrand did and evolve his game.
Its an interesting thought exercise to determine the best way to get players to think that way. Sometimes you want them in positions to succeed but they can get comfortable. You sometimes want them in tougher spots to work through and many fizzle or just feel slighted.
Our staff management and coaching clearly have no 1 size fits all thing which normally is fair but for Sillinger specifically it seems like there is no plan.

It would be cool if we could draft someone like Ryan Leonard though if im picking a name from last draft
I like Chinakov and his abilities as far as skating and getting puck, but I'd take Barney Fife over him in an accuracy contest.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
At this point it does not even matter where we finish and who we get to pick, we are not getting a player like Fantilli anyway as we’re not going to pick first overall , so let’s get the BPA whoever that is

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get why folks like @ThisIsMyAlibi seek solace in tanking, but this is one of those years where when you suck, it just sucks. There is no compensation for it, it just sucks. It's not good for the now or for the future.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad