2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
But you don’t want to be what he is know for. I hope Jiricek develops into a big and strong and powerful defenseman that can outmuscle guys and always be a possible big hit, but I see him more as a Jones type. You don’t want him fighting and constantly exposing his body by hitting, just let him throw the occasionally big hit so a forward always knows it is possibility.

So that means we are still lacking a big, hard hitting dude that does hit fairly often, which is what I hope we can find in this draft.
Jones could have been an animal but he's very passive by nature. If he had a natural aggression he would be significantly better off for it. Jiricek in contrast has that aggressive nature. That said I dont think he really looks like the type to fight, I dont think he'll ever be Shea Weber but teams will know when hes on the ice

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Jones could have been an animal but he's very passive by nature. If he had a natural aggression he would be significantly better off for it. Jiricek in contrast has that aggressive nature. That said I dont think he really looks like the type to fight, I dont think he'll ever be Shea Weber but teams will know when hes on the ice

I think Jones should hit more. I thought Savard could have been nastier. But they both played a lot of games for the Jackets and that was very important.

I am hoping we pull in a Gudbranson replacement, not a star. If we could get a big nasty solid defensive potential 4/5 D who can kill penalties and help close out games in the pipeline I would feel better about the future. Two would be even better.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Levshunov keeping up his pace early. If we are in that range I still think he'd be my pick over Jiricek. I hear hes flawed but also young and just keeps producing, I liked the bits Ive seen. Like Major pointed out early it can be hard to project young D in the Czech league however. I also havent watched Dickinson at all and I know some have him up in that range but a lefty

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Whether you're looking for toughness or size or any particular positional help, it's unlikely that whoever we pick is going to solve any of our current needs. Look for timeless help. None of these guys are immediate difference makers except for Celebrini. Just go with whoever will have the best career, or best RFA career.

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Still don't think we end up picking in top 5. Looking at #7-10 range at this point. Wouldnt be shocked if we ended up with another Jiricek

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
We could get Dickinson or Levshunov but you know it'll be Jiricek since 2 Sillingers worked out so good.😞
Owen Sillinger, who was a college FA signing as a solid to the Sillinger family, who has never in his life been a prospect and who was never drafted? I don't think that's a fair criticism at the organization at all.

Reactions: LJ7

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Owen Sillinger, who was a college FA signing as a solid to the Sillinger family, who has never in his life been a prospect and who was never drafted? I don't think that's a fair criticism at the organization at all.
can't believe that jarmo would just bring in two brothers like that hoping that they would both become superstars. did he not learn his lesson from alex and terry broadhurst?!

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
celebrini is the obvious #1 guy. not as dynamic as fantilli but together the two of them would make a very good 1-2 punch down the middle.

that said, since he's the obvious #1 guy, i have no expectation that columbus will be in a position to draft him.

i'd actually love to get eiserman. before everyone screams 'we don't need a wing!' remember he would immediately be the best young winger on the roster by a wide margin, and there could be an opening if they trade laine.

otherwise, the three guys i'm high on right now are silayev, lindstrom and yakemchuk. seems like a good draft if you're looking for size.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
celebrini is the obvious #1 guy. not as dynamic as fantilli but together the two of them would make a very good 1-2 punch down the middle.

that said, since he's the obvious #1 guy, i have no expectation that columbus will be in a position to draft him.

i'd actually love to get eiserman. before everyone screams 'we don't need a wing!' remember he would immediately be the best young winger on the roster by a wide margin, and there could be an opening if they trade laine.

otherwise, the three guys i'm high on right now are silayev, lindstrom and yakemchuk. seems like a good draft if you're looking for size.

If we are not gettting Celebrini, who is ready in all respects, then I might prefer we draft later just so we don't end up putting more teenagers on this mess of a team. Eiserman is going to need time to figure things out.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
most of this years draft will need time to develop. not a very strong draft imo ( outside the top 7, not saying they are bad )

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022

I haven't checked out the prospects yet, but what I've heard about Eiserman suggests that he is a bit one-dimensional. I.e. he has a great shot but not much else.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I haven't checked out the prospects yet, but what I've heard about Eiserman suggests that he is a bit one-dimensional. I.e. he has a great shot but not much else.
i think calling him one-dimensional is a bit reductive. he's an offensive powerhouse – elite shooting, elite one-on-one skill, high-end hockey IQ and good passing.

the comp i've seen is that he's similar to kucherov and is the kind of guy who you build an elite power play around.

the reason why that appeals to me (assuming laine gets moved at some point) is that it allows columbus to 'flip' PP1 – gaudreau could attack downhill on the left flank with fantilli in the high slot and eiserman in the right circle as one-timer options.

in cbj terms, he'd be like a left handed panarin who is more inclined to shoot the puck.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
You know, I'm used to whackadoodle bad takes from you by now, but wow. An AHL depth signing of a player on an AHL contract who doesn't affect the cap in any way and who will never see a minute of NHL time is somehow an egregious misstep. Okay. You win.
That spot can go to somebody who actually contribute and try and make an NHL team. But you win. Let's hire anchors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad