NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Someone make a schedule thread.

This was about the Bills at Dolphins opening up the Amazon TNF schedule on 9/12. Because heaven forbid the Bills be forced to play a 1PM game in Miami in September after how they whined about it 2 years ago. And you better believe I will lose my shit if I see a Week 16, 17 or 18 game AT Buffalo. :rant:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I like the Chiefs having 2 of their 3 most important conference games right out the gate, even if I am somewhat surprised they’re scheduling it that way. Beyond the Texans, the rest of their home schedule should be pretty soft.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
This was about the Bills at Dolphins opening up the Amazon TNF schedule on 9/12. Because heaven forbid the Bills be forced to play a 1PM game in Miami in September after how they whined about it 2 years ago. And you better believe I will lose my shit if I see a Week 16, 17 or 18 game AT Buffalo. :rant:
Easy now..

Also.. over / under on how many snaps AR makes it.

• Haha
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
People are upset or at least talking about some stuff Harrison Butker said at a College commencement speech.

Tom is really starting to get that unpleasant plastic surgery look.

Gonna be looking like Mickey Rourke if he keeps getting procedures

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People are upset or at least talking about some stuff Harrison Butker said at a College commencement speech.

Tom is really starting to get that unpleasant plastic surgery look.

Gonna be looking like Mickey Rourke if he keeps getting procedures
Agreed.... Giving off those vibes.

I like the Chiefs having 2 of their 3 most important conference games right out the gate, even if I am somewhat surprised they’re scheduling it that way. Beyond the Texans, the rest of their home schedule should be pretty soft.
H2H vs potential division winners are key to securing #1 seed and the bye. Especially if your bye week is early, like in weeks 5-7.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Also Aaron Rodgers went on a certain polarizing figure’s show and said some stuff people are talking about

What a piece of shit. Chiefs need to respond to that. Honestly it's a kicker. Just release him.

Come on…this isn’t a serious talking point.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Also Aaron Rodgers went on a certain polarizing figure’s show and said some stuff people are talking about

Come on…this isn’t a serious talking point.
He told a large portion of their fanbase that they either shouldn't exist, or to get back in kitchen and become brood mares. Real nice messaging.

f*** that guy. If I'm the Chiefs I wouldn't want that representing my brand. And really what does Butker give you versus the next guy on the street? Maybe 1 extra FG made a year? Not worth that nightmare, for a team that's already having a disastourous off-season in terms of issues not involving football (Rice, Stadium vote, etc). IMO.

Well see what happens I guess.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
He told a large portion of their fanbase that they either shouldn't exist, or to get back in kitchen and become brood mares. Real nice messaging.

f*** that guy. If I'm the Chiefs I wouldn't want that representing my brand. And really what does Butker give you versus the next guy on the street? Maybe 1 extra FG made a year? Not worth that nightmare, for a team that's already having a disastourous off-season in terms of issues not involving football (Rice, Stadium vote, etc). IMO.

Well see what happens I guess.

By no means am I defending what he said, and I disagree with his statements, but he is the 2nd most accurate kicker in Nfl history, there will be a steep dropoff to some replacement by a street free agent

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
By no means am I defending what he said, and I disagree with his statements, but he is the 2nd most accurate kicker in Nfl history, there will be a steep dropoff to some replacement by a street free agent
Everyone of the top 8 is a current kicker. So it's bit deceiving. FG% is going up every year.

KC attempted 35 FGs last year.
Butker at his career average hits 89.1%.
That'd be ~31.2 made Fgs.
Latest year I can find the data was 2021 had 85.1% as league average.
That'd be ~29.7 made FGs.

1.5 less made FGs. Yes there's other considerations. Butker was 5 for 5 outside 50 in 23. But he was also 3 for 7 in 22 from outside 50. There's trust of the coach for what opportunities they get, ability to hit those long ones, etc.

But reality is kickers are unpredictable at best and the difference between best to the rest is very small, not enough to really swing a season. If your kicker is causing you a headache, go find another. There's been a ton of UFL kickers hitting 60 plus yarders this year. 7 of them are at 87.5% or higher. The CFL has many kickers hitting over 85% every season.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

We’ll see what happens I guess.
I think Butker’s opinions on…just about everything over the years…have been awful and I disagree vehemently with his weird aggrieved views. But the reality is they’re not cutting Butker for voicing opinions that - candidly - a not insignificant portion of this fanbase probably agrees with.

I’d also encourage you to take a look at some of the political donations Clark Hunt makes before assuming he’s worried at all about how this reflects on the team. He probably reached out to Butker with support.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Everyone of the top 8 is a current kicker. So it's bit deceiving. FG% is going up every year.

KC attempted 35 FGs last year.
Butker at his career average hits 89.1%.
That'd be ~31.2 made Fgs.
Latest year I can find the data was 2021 had 85.1% as league average.
That'd be ~29.7 made FGs.

1.5 less made FGs. Yes there's other considerations. Butker was 5 for 5 outside 50 in 23. But he was also 3 for 7 in 22 from outside 50. There's trust of the coach for what opportunities they get, ability to hit those long ones, etc.

But reality is kickers are unpredictable at best and the difference between best to the rest is very small, not enough to really swing a season. If your kicker is causing you a headache, go find another. There's been a ton of UFL kickers hitting 60 plus yarders this year. 7 of them are at 87.5% or higher. The CFL has many kickers hitting over 85% every season.

Sure kickers keep getting better, but the bad ones will still lose you games, you would assume that a street free agent would be worse than most guys who are on rosters, so that probably put you win the 75% made range, and maybe worse

If you replaced Butker with a league average kicker the Chiefs probably don't have 3 rings, and that will likely play into him not getting cut.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sure kickers keep getting better, but the bad ones will still lose you games, you would assume that a street free agent would be worse than most guys who are on rosters, so that probably put you win the 75% made range, and maybe worse

If you replaced Butker with a league average kicker the Chiefs probably don't have 3 rings, and that will likely play into him not getting cut.
Disagree completely that Butker was in any way key to Chiefs SBs.

And there's at least 20-30 unsigned guys that can get you 80-85%. More than a few that could break out for even better.

JJ Molson is at 92% in UFL with a 63 yarder in UFL the other day. Kickers are dime a dozen.

@The Note from above is probably right though. Nothing'll happen. What should happen and what does happen is often nowhere near the same territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad