NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Weird, in that there is no mention of a kick that lands in the Landing Zone but rolls out of bounds.
It just notes the following only:
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone - must be returned
Seems like they need to clarify the potential for a kickoff to roll out of bounds in the Landing Zone. It's a live ball once it lands so with the kickoff team 30 yards closer than before, the returner can't take too long to decide to pick up the ball or hope it rolls out of bounds or do that stand out of bounds and then lean into the field to touch the ball.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Weird, in that there is no mention of a kick that lands in the Landing Zone but rolls out of bounds.
It just notes the following only:
  • Any kick that hits in the landing zone - must be returned
Seems like they need to clarify the potential for a kickoff to roll out of bounds in the Landing Zone. It's a live ball once it lands so with the kickoff team 30 yards closer than before, the returner can't take too long to decide to pick up the ball or hope it rolls out of bounds or do that stand out of bounds and then lean into the field to touch the ball.
it does say here a kick out of bounds goes to the 40, but the kick OOB is not the specific subject

• Any kick that hits short of the landing zone – treated like kickoff out of bounds and ball spotted at B40 yard line; play would be blown dead as soon as kick lands short of the landing zone

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't mind the rule in general (mostly because I think it's basically this or removing the kickoff altogether), but the fact that you can't squib it does mean you're a bit SOL on bad weather days, no?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I assume we will see a lot of guys on blocking team tear ACL's and Achillies with that pulling backwards to try and block nonsense especially on shitty fields

At least have a 10 yard separation not this 5 yd BS that clearly puts blockers at disadvantage

Its all stupid and nonsensical and NFL is slowly going way of MLB to try and ruin once great game

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I know there was some speculation about replacing the onside kick (which can no longer be a surprise), with a long 4th down play, I think the concern that exists that is that so many defensive penalties are automatic first downs, and how coaches would feel and how teams feel about an official's decision weighing so heavily. Of course, maybe you could just not make every f***ing defensive penalty an automatic first down

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know there was some speculation about replacing the onside kick (which can no longer be a surprise), with a long 4th down play, I think the concern that exists that is that so many defensive penalties are automatic first downs, and how coaches would feel and how teams feel about an official's decision weighing so heavily. Of course, maybe you could just not make every f***ing defensive penalty an automatic first down
Aside from Offsides/encroachment, I think every D penalty is an automatic first.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Quoted for emphasis.

5 yard defensive holding and illegal contact should not be an automatic first down.

Reactions: LT and GKJ

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I like the kick off rules. They seem neat. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
Same here. Maybe it doesn't work, but I'm glad they're trying.

I give the NFL a lot of credit for having no problems changing rules to make games more entertaining. Moving the XP back to increase the value of going for two has worked great.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They will very likely be forcing 4 teams to play on 2 consecutive short weeks very late in the season in order to play a game on a Wednesday. It's ****ed up.
AZ and Wash had the last bye weeks of the season. Think it was week 14. Figure that the teams that need to play the Sat and then Wed of Xmas would need to have very late bye weeks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’d rather watch NFL in Christmas than the NBA. NBA is sorta meh to ass water, NFL is the shit yall
A number of the media is framing this as a war of the NFL vs. NBA, and I’m missing the part where the NBA was looking for a fight.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad