NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Are we sure the bears are taking Caleb and not trading the pick?

Trading away the #1 pick to some sap willing to overpay like Crapolina did last year would definitely be the best move Chicago could possibly make.

Anybody think the Bears regret not taking Bryce Young at #1 last year?

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'm thinking the Chargers are the trade up spot. And then they'd get Fuaga or Latham at 11 along with extra assets.

NYG probably take Odunze or Nabers.
This is no longer the case with Allen and Williams gone. They have the worst wide receiver room in the league as it stands, should lock in on Odunze to add a boundary threat that Herbert loves. Trey Pipkins isn't even a bad tackle, their woes came from their guard and center play.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
This is no longer the case with Allen and Williams gone. They have the worst wide receiver room in the league as it stands, should lock in on Odunze to add a boundary threat that Herbert loves. Trey Pipkins isn't even a bad tackle, their woes came from their guard and center play.

True, really crazy stuff.

It looks really empty around Herbert.

I like Nabers a lot, and Odunze is very highly rated too. Feels like a formality that one of them will be Chargers at #5.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Giants draft a QB early, I think they have to cut or trade Jones now, not next offseason.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Giants draft a QB early, I think they have to cut or trade Jones now, not next offseason.
Jones guaranteed money last through this season. Plus his ACL injury. If you use Kyler's timeline from when he got hurt in 2022 to when he returned in 2023, it should take Jones into October sometime. They will have to go with Lock or DeVito (as it stands now) in Sept and into Oct.

If they move up for JJ, they shouldn't play him. Would get killed by NY media if he's not great off the hop.

I'm not to happy with the Seahawks going with Gino,and now Sam Howell. It really fells
Mediocre.
But, what were the Seahawks most realistic options to upgrade? Sign Kirk Cousins for $100 mill guaranteed?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Cutting Dan Jones less than a year after giving him a massive overpay contract would be a brutal indictment of the GM’s incompetence.

Wasting the #6 pick on mediocre JJ McCarthy would be just as bad as when Fatty Gettleman wasted the #6 pick on Jones.

Drew Lock isn’t a great QB, but he’s better that McCarthy could ever dream of being.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Harbaugh likes a tough hard nosed team. Think he would rather build the trenches up first then add weapons later. If AZ holds firm at 4 to take Harrison Jr, then LAC make the logical trade partner for Minny to swap 11 and 22 for #5. LAC still can get an OL at #11 or they take Defence. There are other OL later in the first round where they could use #23 on since they have Slater, and would be looking for a RT to bookend the line.
If AZ makes the trade down and then JJ goes at 4, I could still see LA trade down to a team that covets MHJr.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Harbaugh likes a tough hard nosed team. Think he would rather build the trenches up first then add weapons later. If AZ holds firm at 4 to take Harrison Jr, then LAC make the logical trade partner for Minny to swap 11 and 22 for #5. LAC still can get an OL at #11 or they take Defence. There are other OL later in the first round where they could use #23 on since they have Slater, and would be looking for a RT to bookend the line.
If AZ makes the trade down and then JJ goes at 4, I could still see LA trade down to a team that covets MHJr.
He can do that by bringing in his Michigan IOL starters later in the draft. Odunze is also the most physical reciever in the draft.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

It would be hard to imagine a team that just dumped the majority of it's WR talent passing on Harrison if he fell to them, wanting a hardnosed team or not, you need talented pass catchers too to go along with your highly paid QB

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It would be hard to imagine a team that just dumped the majority of it's WR talent passing on Harrison if he fell to them, wanting a hardnosed team or not, you need talented pass catchers too to go along with your highly paid QB

If Harrison is available at #5, he would be the logical choice for the Chargers. But when you have a very good QB, you don’t need to surround him with great WRs.

WR is by far the most overrated position in football.

A great QB can elevate mediocre WRs. Just like Brady did for decades in New England and Mahomes does with the collection of trash WRs in KC.

Paying these prima donna puss receivers $25M+ is ludicrous and the surest way to guarantee your team won’t be successful.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Harrison is available at #5, he would be the logical choice for the Chargers. But when you have a very good QB, you don’t need to surround him with great WRs.

WR is by far the most overrated position in football.

A great QB can elevate mediocre WRs. Just like Brady did for decades in New England and Mahomes does with the collection of trash WRs in KC.

Paying these prima donna puss receivers $25M+ is ludicrous and the surest way to guarantee your team won’t be successful.

To be fair Mahomes still has always had a cheat code named Kelce

Elite QB+ elite Wr is a pretty good recipe for having constantly great to elite team

Last edited:

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Also using arguably the two greatest QBs of all time on why teams don't need an elite QB is not overly a great point.

They just won a super bowl with trash receivers and everyone and their mother is still mocking the Chiefs to take a WR

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is a new one

Seattle had one taken away for padded practices or something. Miami via tampering. Giants for something as well, but don't recall.

Never heard one docked for "accounting", that's a new one. So, not a coaching staff or GM issue. I doubt, it's a straight regular accounting issue. Obviously, with all of the ways you can restructure cap space, something went awry and the capologist or someone under that person did something wrong.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Elite QB+ elite Wr is a pretty good recipe for having constantly great to elite team

Not unless they’re on low cost rookie contracts.

How’s Buffalo doing with that wack job Diggs getting $24M? He’s got a great QB and Buffalo is getting progressively WORSE every year.

What did Cincinnati do with Joe Burr, Higggins and Chase? Not much, that what. And put only going to get WORSE when that whiny little bitch Chase demands his $30M+

How about Miami with that ridiculous $30M contract to Tyreke Hill? Tagaviloa is in the top half of QBs and they were a first round flop.

Elite OLine + Good QB will ALWAYS be the way to build out a football team.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

How’s Buffalo doing with that wack job Diggs getting $24M? He’s got a great QB and Buffalo is getting progressively WORSE every year.

What did Cincinnati do with Joe Burr, Huggins and Chase? Not much, that what. And put only going to get WORSE when prima donna Chase demands his $30M+

How about Miami with that ridiculous $30M contract to Tyreke Hill? Tagaviloa is in the top half of QBs and they were a first round flop.

Without an OL, which KC was during that TB SB because of injury, didn't matter how good the weapons were. If the 2 positions are of equal level of impact, I'd go OT over WR.

An OC can scheme a weaker receiver group so long as the OL gives the QB time. Nothing an OC can do if the OL isn't good aside from not call any plays that are longer than 3 seasons for the QB to release the ball.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Without an OL, which KC was during that TB SB because of injury, didn't matter how good the weapons were. If the 2 positions are of equal level of impact, I'd go OT over WR.

An OC can scheme a weaker receiver group so long as the OL gives the QB time. Nothing an OC can do if the OL isn't good aside from not call any plays that are longer than 3 seasons for the QB to release the ball.

Agree 1000% and this is exactly what I’ve been constantly explaining - - that is makes ZERO sense to reach for a mediocre QB instead of building out the OLine.

Look at what the Giants did to the mighty Patriots in Super Bowl 42.

Unbeaten New England with the greatest offence in NFL history, the greatest QB in NFL history and one of the greatest WRs in NFL history but the Giants DLine dominated the Patriots overrated OLine and kicked the living shit out of Tommy Brady.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

What did Cincinnati do with Joe Burr, Higggins and Chase? Not much, that what. And put only going to get WORSE when that whiny little bitch Chase demands his $30M+

I don’t understand your post

Bengals, Bills, Chiefs are always teams we can expect to be in the race, because of those players

Bills problem is they run into massive injury problems every year and still they are an elite team, why? Because of their elite offensive players

You can’t seriously use a season against Bengals where Burrows suffered 2 different injuries with one of them being season ending..

& what on earth does Miami have to do with my comment? Absolutely nobody considers Tua to be in the same tier and as an elite QB

& absolutely Oline is important, massively important but so is having elite offensive weapons. You want your QB to have 1 elite weapon, cheat code he can use and be always in any game any given sunday, no matter the amount of injuries

& I definitely disagree with prefaring good QB’s over elite QB’s. Basic rule is that the team with the best QB is always the favourite to win the division. Teams with elite QB can be expected to have a compete window throughout the QB’s prime. Good QB’s? Maybe you can get some elite regular seasons here or there but the consistency for elite play and expectations definitely isn’t the same. Good QB puts a lower ceiling on the roster

So you want a quality line but you sure as heck want to give your elite QB an elite offensive weapon to throw to

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat and LT

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Huh?

There’s 2 quarterbacks walking this earth who have beaten Mahomes in the playoffs and Burrow is one of them.

Reactions: LT

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Huh?

There’s 2 quarterbacks walking this earth who have beaten Mahomes in the playoffs and Burrow is one of them.

Also Buffalos playoff losses have been to Chiefs& Bengals.
& in both Chiefs games they went toe to toe with them

Ravens biggest complaint has been Lamar not having that cheat code and having to do too much on himself

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Trading away the #1 pick to some sap willing to overpay like Crapolina did last year would definitely be the best move Chicago could possibly make.

Anybody think the Bears regret not taking Bryce Young at #1 last year?
I think they regret not drafting Stroud. As any team holding pick #1 would have had that choice to make. Young's size along would have been a no for me. At the time, Stroud, I thought was likely to be around where Goff is now with Detroit with more mobility. So, he'd be a what I call a Tier 2 QB in the 9-16 range.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You need an elite QB and to not overpay receivers to win, but you also need to not draft top end receivers to have good receivers for cheap under the rookie contracts. Oh, and you should trade down for a haul instead of picking the consensus #1 QB because I've seen on Twitter that he can't operate in the pocket.

Why don't NFL teams just have one of the top 3 QBs of all time to pair with an elite defense? Seems simple enough.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

1710871185308.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad