NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Outside of OBJ, none of them were the high first round WR you mentioned not drafting. Obviously, that's on the scouting to determine what the attitude of the WR is.

Catching the ball is kind of the job of the WR, so if they can't do that, not getting drafted.

Lots of recent examples of 1st round WRs with mental issues. Kadarius Toney, Henry Ruggs, Calvin Ridley.

And those are just the nut cases. That doesn’t even factor in all of the unproductive busts.

From the 2015/16/17 drafts there were 13 WRs drafted in the first round. Over their first three seasons only ONE(1) made a Pro Bowl and NINE (9) of them never managed to put up more than 40 receptions in a season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ruggs didn’t have red flags. He was a speedster when you can legitimately question whether his route running was good enough to be more than a deep threat and certainly not worthy to be the first WR off the board but that is typical Raiders. Love their speed guys.

Ridley, I can’t recall. I just remember that he somehow managed to play with Amari Cooper who was like the same age yet Ridley goes like 3 years later in the draft or something. So you can question the upside on an older WR out of college.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It's all part of the scouting process. Scouts talk to coaches and anyone associated with the programs to get a sense of how the player practices, studies, etc. especially the round 1 guys. Not as much on the day 3 guys. Easier to move off them if red flags come up later on.

NFL teams are notorious for overlooking obvious red flags even in the 1st round - - Justin Blackmon and Johnny Goofball are two of the biggest wastes.

I’m not a scout and have no inside sources, but I knew that Kadarius Toney was going to be a mental case and waste of an 1st round pick even before he was drafted.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Think it's safe to assume Williams one, don't get Daniels over Maye hype. Maye has all of the tools and an elite brain, just needs to drift less and shore up mechanically. Less raw Jordan Love out of college.

CB1 will be interesting, there's arguments for all of Kool-Aid, DeJean, Arnold, and Wiggins and I see the combine being very favorable to Wiggins. All are pretty awesome.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Think it's safe to assume Williams one, don't get Daniels over Maye hype. Maye has all of the tools and an elite brain, just needs to drift less and shore up mechanically. Less raw Jordan Love out of college.

CB1 will be interesting, there's arguments for all of Kool-Aid, DeJean, Arnold, and Wiggins and I see the combine being very favorable to Wiggins. All are pretty awesome.

Keep seeing Dejean mocked to the Packers at 25, seems insane to think he'd still be on the board by then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Watched Joel Klatt's mock on YT, has the Hawks taking JJ McCarthy at16?
I dunno man.
Klatt did a lot of wolverines games. So he’s seen McCarthy live. His numbers won’t blow you away. Is there potential? Yes, but it's very much a leap of faith since you haven't seen him being relied upon to make a lot of throws. Ideally, he'd stay and get more reps, but the team around him would be turned over, including HC, so probably the main reason for him to leave.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Watched Joel Klatt's mock on YT, has the Hawks taking JJ McCarthy at16?
I dunno man.

Way a bunch of mocks are going he won't even be there. Think Jeremiah's today had him going at 8. Then there's the anonymous quotes going around with "Unknown team has him as QB2" and the rest of it.

I'm sure things will calm down a bit but at the same time, NFL teams love taking QBs who have a bunch of traits even if they haven't really put them together, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes very early somewhere.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Way a bunch of mocks are going he won't even be there. Think Jeremiah's today had him going at 8. Then there's the anonymous quotes going around with "Unknown team has him as QB2" and the rest of it.

I'm sure things will calm down a bit but at the same time, NFL teams love taking QBs who have a bunch of traits even if they haven't really put them together, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he goes very early somewhere.
Remember when the likes of Willis and Corral got first round talk. Willis as high as Seattle when they took OT Cross, only to see Willis drop into round 3, same with Corral. Now Corral is off to the UFL and I would not be surprised to see Willis not on an NFL roster this season either. Levis is the starter. Tenn needs a veteran backup. Then have to decide if Willis is worth 1 of the 53 spots on the roster or whether they opt to risk assigning him to the PS. But, if he's claimed, I believe NFL rules require him to be placed on the active roster for 4 weeks.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Remember when the likes of Willis and Corral got first round talk. Willis as high as Seattle when they took OT Cross, only to see Willis drop into round 3, same with Corral. Now Corral is off to the UFL and I would not be surprised to see Willis not on an NFL roster this season either. Levis is the starter. Tenn needs a veteran backup. Then have to decide if Willis is worth 1 of the 53 spots on the roster or whether they opt to risk assigning him to the PS. But, if he's claimed, I believe NFL rules require him to be placed on the active roster for 4 weeks.

True true. Iirc the draft analysts mostly corrected on Corral and saw him going 2nd day on by the time of the draft, but Willis they absolutely whiffed on the NFL's perception of. Ditto a little Levis.

But then there's Richardson. They do love to do it.

Right now I think an NFL team will talk themselves into it. I'm not saying they're right to but I can see some front office guy pounding the table saying "he's tall, he's fast, he's got a live arm, he's accurate, he can process, he converts on 3rd and long, and he wins. What more do you want?". And they'll gamble on it coming together despite him being no more than an NCAA game manager. I think the list of desirable traits is too long. Willis and Levis were missing stuff but McCarthy, I don't think he's missing much if the reports are true.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
True true. Iirc the draft analysts mostly corrected on Corral and saw him going 2nd day on by the time of the draft, but Willis they absolutely whiffed on the NFL's perception of. Ditto a little Levis.

But then there's Richardson. They do love to do it.

Right now I think an NFL team will talk themselves into it. I'm not saying they're right to but I can see some front office guy pounding the table saying "he's tall, he's fast, he's got a live arm, he's accurate, he can process, he converts on 3rd and long, and he wins. What more do you want?". And they'll gamble on it coming together despite him being no more than an NCAA game manager. I think the list of desirable traits is too long. Willis and Levis were missing stuff but McCarthy, I don't think he's missing much if the reports are true.
Levis, the physical traits were there. But, he made mistakes. But, then you have to find out why? Were they losing at the time? Was he merely way over confident in his rocket arm? Was it the injury, etc?

McCarthy, you just have not seen him be more than a game manager. Best shot was the TCU game in the playoffs where it ended up in the 40's for each side.
If you have a first in the 20's, then I get taking a shot with him, ala Pitt and Pickett 2 years ago. I would be wary of taking him in the 8-16 range.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Levis, the physical traits were there. But, he made mistakes. But, then you have to find out why? Were they losing at the time? Was he merely way over confident in his rocket arm? Was it the injury, etc?

McCarthy, you just have not seen him be more than a game manager. Best shot was the TCU game in the playoffs where it ended up in the 40's for each side.
If you have a first in the 20's, then I get taking a shot with him, ala Pitt and Pickett 2 years ago. I would be wary of taking him in the 8-16 range.

The stat where he's 42% on 3rd and long interests me. That's not a game manager stat. Maybe he benefited from very smart counter-tendency gamecalling, but if he's showing he can actually take a game on his shoulders then, I'd consider taking him 8-16. I feel like every QB taken in that range has a major wart and the mental traits are there to believe he can be a big time guy.

But that's all report reading. Who knows how I'd feel if I actually deep dove on the guy - which I won't, as I don't think he's remotely a Steelers target.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Keep seeing Dejean mocked to the Packers at 25, seems insane to think he'd still be on the board by then.
There are a lot of options so he could fall because of it.

Klatt did a lot of wolverines games. So he’s seen McCarthy live. His numbers won’t blow you away. Is there potential? Yes, but it's very much a leap of faith since you haven't seen him being relied upon to make a lot of throws. Ideally, he'd stay and get more reps, but the team around him would be turned over, including HC, so probably the main reason for him to leave.
McCarthy is a raw but is toolsy but also the receiving group around him in Michigan isn't really having a Sunday receiver.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
JJ McCarthy is this year’s reincarnation of Mac Jones - - a wishy washy try-hard who had the good fortune of being QB for a loaded powerhouse big name school with an excellent HC.

Someone is going to make the same foolish mistake as New England did.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
ESPN had one potential trade of the #1 pick to Atlanta for:

2024 1st (#8 overall)
2025 1st & 2nd
2025 1st & 2nd

The Bears absolutely HAVE to take a deal that good.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Doubt very much Bears would get an offer like that

If you think DJ Moore is worth a 2nd one year from the draft and a 1st two years from the draft, which doesn't seem a million miles away, it's pretty much the same offer they got for the right to take Young.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

2024 1st (#8 overall)
2025 1st & 2nd
2025 1st & 2nd

So pretty much the RG3 trade.

Given the haul they already have from Carolina and maybe a nice return from Fields and their own #7 the Bears shouldn't get cute.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

2024 1st (#8 overall)
2025 1st & 2nd
2025 1st & 2nd

I mean, yeah, the Bears have shown themselves to be pretty dumb lately, but I don't think you can convince them to take the same picks twice

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
#9 not #7

And it fails to be seen if we can actually get a nice return on Fields
Around the NFL last season, it was mostly big money QBs ($30 mill plus) or guys on their rookie deals.

Very few in the Baker for $8.5 mill for 1 year. Geno Smith, where SEA could walk away after 1 year at $27.5 or do year 2 at $22.5 mill, which they intend to do. Jimmy G, was to be around $46 mill for 2 years, but will end up being around $23.5 mill for just 1 season with LV.

So, when acquiring Fields, you are for sure picking up the 5th year option at around $20 mill. Then after that, need him to legitimately be worth a big money contract, otherwise, you walk away as a Tag will cost like $33 mill or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad