NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was OK, never gave any indication that this kind of breakout was a possibility, he has said the Steelers were playing him on the wrong side, it's hard to imagine something like that could make such a difference but who knows? When he was traded, I would think most fans were amazed that they got anything for him at all and he didn't just end up getting cut
OL coaching matters a lot in this era of limited padded practices.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It was obvious Dotson had big physical talent and he had some dominant games but he also blew a bunch of calls and was responsible for both of Pickett's concussions in his rookie season.

Personally it wasn't at all a surprise they got something for him and it's not even a huge surprise he's doing better, but the extent to which the positional change made it happen has me quite irate at the Steelers coaching staff. This is the sort of screw-up that should come with very uncomfortable questions, particularly as there's been a lot of Steelers draft picks on the OL struggling to reach their ceiling due to being out of their favoured position.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Byron Murphy top 15? DAMN
Hmm.. Didn't see many mocks with him so high. Most had him well into round 2... Newton of Illinois is regarded as the best DT in this draft and he ranges anywhere from 12 to 20 in most mocks.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It’s nice to see Texas players in mocks again.

Think Dallas is basically guaranteed to take Jonathan Brooks in the second or third round

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Bears absolutely MUST trade the #1 overall pick and continue to build the team while stockpiling draft picks.

It’s laughable how there’s an assumption Caleb Williams is going to automatically be an elite franchise QB.

Having watched several of his games I’m not impressed with Williams. His mechanics aren’t great, he relies way too much on backyard sandlot broken scramble plays, he makes horrendously bad decisions and he’s undersized for the position.

You can win with a great team regardless of who the QB is - - look at what SF is doing with that unwanted gimp Purdy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t see the senior bowl but Spencer rattler was mvp, which means nothing, but definitely happened.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Didn’t see the senior bowl but Spencer rattler was mvp, which means nothing, but definitely happened.
I feel like a team is gonna fall in love with him and will take him higher than anyone suspected

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It'll be hard with how deep the draft is at the position.

You must mean “deep” as in quantity, not quality. Because there’s definitely not many, if any, franchise quarterbacks available in this years draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For Harbaugh, I think with his personality of wanting a tough team, I think he goes OT Alt vs TE Bowers. He'd want to install that smash mouth style and build up the OL.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
For Harbaugh, I think with his personality of wanting a tough team, I think he goes OT Alt vs TE Bowers. He'd want to install that smash mouth style and build up the OL.

I would agree that a QB like Herbert doesn’t need top ranked pass catchers because he can make an average TE or WR look great.

Protecting Herbert and keeping him clean is a much bigger priority.

Chargers biggest need is at CB but there’s none worth taking anywhere close to #5 overall.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I would agree that a QB like Herbert doesn’t need top ranked pass catchers because he can make an average TE or WR look great.

Chargers biggest need is at CB but there’s none worth taking anywhere close to #5 overall.
More likely to get good WR later than get good OL later. Less padded practices so need that OL talent.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Personally speaking, I would never take a receiver in the 1st round. Especially not early in the 1st.

Majority of top ranked receivers turn into selfish prima donnas and are way too much of a distraction.

I’d wait and take a few slow footed undersized guys who are willing to block and run through a wall in the late rounds and hope one of them pans out.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

outside of Slater the Bolts Oline isn't that great with Linsley retiring, Alt is the biggest need for them. Getting Herbert his Kelce in Bowers would be the 2nd biggest need, could probably move down a few picks and still get Bowers. Can always find WRs and CBs who can be impact guys outside the 1st, pretty rare for Oline.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Personally speaking, I would never take a receiver in the 1st round. Especially not early in the 1st.

Majority of top ranked receivers turn into selfish prima donnas and are way too much of a distraction.

I’d wait and take a few slow footed undersized guys who are willing to block and run through a wall in the late rounds and hope one of them pans out.
That is kind of scheme dependent. Brady on his last NE run had virtually all slot guys who were interchangeable in Hogan, Dola, Edelman.

Ideally want a mix of a size guy, speed guy and route runner. Seattle has DK who has size and speed, Lockett has speed and route running. jSN is route runner and solid size.

Allows you to use the whole route tree depending on your primary target.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
That is kind of scheme dependent. Brady on his last NE run had virtually all slot guys who were interchangeable in Hogan, Dola, Edelman.

Ideally want a mix of a size guy, speed guy and route runner. Seattle has DK who has size and speed, Lockett has speed and route running. jSN is route runner and solid size.

Allows you to use the whole route tree depending on your primary target.
Size, speed and route running ability are irrelevant if the guy can’t hang onto throws. Or if he refuses to run block like those two assclowns in Pittsburgh. Or if he’s constantly undermining the team and promoting himself like Odie Beckham. Or if he’s just mentally unstable in general like Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Antonio Brown, Chris Henry, Stef Diggs etc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Size, speed and route running ability are irrelevant if the guy can’t hang onto throws. Or if he refuses to run block like those two assclowns in Pittsburgh. Or if he’s constantly undermining the team and promoting himself like Odie Beckham. Or if he’s just mentally unstable in general like Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Antonio Brown, Chris Henry, Stef Diggs etc.
Outside of OBJ, none of them were the high first round WR you mentioned not drafting. Obviously, that's on the scouting to determine what the attitude of the WR is.

Catching the ball is kind of the job of the WR, so if they can't do that, not getting drafted.

Reactions: LT and DaaaaB's

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Do they though? You just named a bunch of guys and only one them was a first round pick. You can get almost any position at any point in the draft, but you're throwing out Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson out of hand because of what you don't know about them personally.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do they though? You just named a bunch of guys and only one them was a first round pick. You can get almost any position at any point in the draft, but you're throwing out Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson out of hand because of what you don't know about them personally.
It's all part of the scouting process. Scouts talk to coaches and anyone associated with the programs to get a sense of how the player practices, studies, etc. especially the round 1 guys. Not as much on the day 3 guys. Easier to move off them if red flags come up later on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad