U20: 2024 IIHF U20 World Championship, Division I A

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Dates, 11-17 December 2023, still its called a 2024 tournament.

Austria
Kazaksthan
France
Hungary
Denmark
Japan

1 team gets promoted, 1 teams gets relegated.

I think Denmark gets promoted and Hungary gets relegated.

Players to keep an eye on:

Antoine Keller
Bence Horváth
Vinzenz Rohrer
David Reinbacher
Kristers Steinbergs
Oskar Grossmann
Hjalte Kruse Thomsen
Oscar Fisker Molgaard
Marton Nemes
Vladimir Nikitin
Ian Scherzer
Tai Ushio
Fuji Suzuki

Discuss!

1B thread here; WJC: - 2024 IIHF U20 World Championship, Division I B

Last edited:
Reactions: Smif and Alp

Alp

Jan 28, 2020
The Hungarian roster is not that deep so it definitely depends on who will be healthy and available for the tournament, but I would argue we are to relegate :). We had a very solid performance in the weekend home ice tournament - beating France, and while friendlies are not WC for sure, for me this is promising. Oskar Grossmann left Mora at the beginning of the season and not sure where he plays, if at all - no games this season based on eliteprospects.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The Hungarian roster is not that deep so it definitely depends on who will be healthy and available for the tournament, but I would argue we are to relegate :). We had a very solid performance in the weekend home ice tournament - beating France, and while friendlies are not WC for sure, for me this is promising. Oskar Grossmann left Mora at the beginning of the season and not sure where he plays, if at all - no games this season based on eliteprospects.
which players on hungarian team will be key players?

Alp

Jan 28, 2020
which players on hungarian team will be key players?
well, we have now couple of 2004-2006 playing in good roles and big icetime in good junior leagues (Bence Horvath (FW, Jukurit), Oliver Farkas, Marton Deak (D, SaiPa) in SM; Donat Horvath (D, Leksand); Marton Nemes (FW, Mora IK), Bendeguz Ven (D, Sodertalje J18/20) in J20 Nationell; Alex Horvath (D, U20, Trinec) in CZ Extraliga; Balazs Hiezl (FW, NCDC), some good goalies on this level + all of the other players that can make the roster are all playing smaller or bigger roles in the men's league in Hungary (Dobos Mihaly Bendeguz (FW), Gergo Mihalik (FW), Botond Bajko (D)out of these coming back from good junior leagues). I would not highlight anyone because I'm directly concerned and as such probably biased :) :) I hope in a well-assembled team with good team spirit and some home crowd behind them :)

Last edited:

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Keller is obviously the top billing on the team as he is the only French NHL prospect at the moment.

As usual with any French NT, players from abroad attract more attention. So Tavernier (his brother played on the Finnish U18 team a few years ago), Chapuis (the youngest on that team), Tournier and Eyre.

Among French-based players, Grossetete often leaves a good impression. Perrenoud as he is the only one playing full-time in Ligue Magnus. Otherwise Guidoux, Nogaretto, Raveaud, Chauvel and Addamo are worth a look. And so are Villard or Besnier on the blueline.

Reactions: Alp and Eye of Ra

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Hungary has released a preliminary list of 34 players (4G, 11D, 19F). Just as a reminder, the group will need to be cut down to 20 skaters and 2 goalies (and an emergency goalie).

Reactions: Alp and Eye of Ra

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Here is a list of pretournament exhibition games (as far as I know). All of them will be played at the Tüskecsarnok, the tournament's venue.

- 5th december, 4.30pm CET — HUN vs KAZ
- 5th december, 8.00pm CET — DEN vs JPN
- 7th december, 4.30pm CET — HUN vs AUT
- 7th december, 7.00pm CET — FRA vs KAZ

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Nikitin is currently the backup for Chilliwack with a 4.40 gaa. Is he definitely the top goalie?
He did carry their U18s last year so spot is his to lose. If anything, maybe this will be the confidence boost he needs to turn his club season around as well.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Here is a list of pretournament exhibition games (as far as I know). All of them will be played at the Tüskecsarnok, the tournament's venue.

- 5th december, 4.30pm CET — HUN vs KAZ
- 5th december, 8.00pm CET — DEN vs JPN
- 7th december, 4.30pm CET — HUN vs AUT
- 7th december, 7.00pm CET — FRA vs KAZ
is there place to watch them?

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
is there place to watch them?
2 hours to go and still nothing announced at the moment about a stream.

Also of note, in its press release about the preliminary roster, the ÖEHV says Thursday's game against Hungary is taking place in St. Pölten where the team is gathered and won't make the trip to Budapest before Saturday.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Interviews with head coach Eric Blais and players Nathan Nicoud and Fiorenzo Villard about the French team getting ready. (auto-generated english subtitles possible)

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Hungary - Kazakhstan : 2-5 (1-2, 1-2, 0-1)
HUN: Bajko (13:05, Nemes, Cziki), Öri (30:37, Deak, Weidemann)
KAZ: Yermak (00:13, Ospanov, Logvin) Smolyaninov (15:26 PP), Kim (23:16, Nurkenov, Beisembayev), Logvin (33:24), Lyapunov (59:46 ENG, Sitnikov)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad