2024 Draft

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Current top 10, feel free to ask away. Parenthesis beside name is number of viewings. Still expect some movement - should have a top 96 done by June.

1. Macklin Celebrini (6)
2. Ivan Demidov (2)
3. Zeev Buium (5)
4. Konsta Helenius (5)
5. Anton Silayev (3)
6. Tij Iginla (5)
7. Cayden Lindstrom (5)
8. Berkley Catton (10)
9. Sam Dickinson (6)
10. Artyom Levshunov (3)
Would be interested in your thoughts on Silayev and having him at 5

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
sure because there is no way the flames are picking 5...:cool:...
i wanted the Flames to get a higher pick to increase the chances of getting Catton and make it tougher for the Flames to reach and take Iginla too high.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’ve actually come around on him a bit lately. Seeing him in MHL playoffs was valuable to evaluate him at that level opposed to the KHL. Hoping to find a way to see him a couple more times (on-demand since his season is over).

His mobility and range should translate his defensive game really well to the NHL. Shutting down plays at the blue line, closing quickly on loose pucks in the corner, disrupting the cycle should be his bread and butter. There’s not massive offensive upside there - although mobile he’s not a dynamic skater that will open up a bunch of time and space with agility and edge work. But could be a useful weapon jumping up into the play and being a late option for F’s.

I’d have him behind Buium because I think he’s really the only D with actual #1 potential (not Rasmus Andersson #1, but a #1 on a cup winning team). Silayev to me would be a safe bet at top 4, with the absolute ceiling being a #2
- I don’t think the offence is there for a #1. Helenius is a late riser for me, because I’m fairly certain you get at least a 2C in him.

Reactions: Janks

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I’ve actually come around on him a bit lately. Seeing him in MHL playoffs was valuable to evaluate him at that level opposed to the KHL. Hoping to find a way to see him a couple more times (on-demand since his season is over).

His mobility and range should translate his defensive game really well to the NHL. Shutting down plays at the blue line, closing quickly on loose pucks in the corner, disrupting the cycle should be his bread and butter. There’s not massive offensive upside there - although mobile he’s not a dynamic skater that will open up a bunch of time and space with agility and edge work. But could be a useful weapon jumping up into the play and being a late option for F’s.

I’d have him behind Buium because I think he’s really the only D with actual #1 potential (not Rasmus Andersson #1, but a #1 on a cup winning team). Silayev to me would be a safe bet at top 4, with the absolute ceiling being a #2
- I don’t think the offence is there for a #1. Helenius is a late riser for me, because I’m fairly certain you get at least a 2C in him.
I appreciate the insight, thank you. My opinion of him has really only been on highlights and one game, as well as a few scouting reports so it’s nice to hear from someone who’s watched him more frequently.

Reactions: User1996

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
So we're locked into either the #8 or 9 hole pre lottery. We're currently 9th overall draft wise and we cannot pass NJD even if we win on Thursday based on reg wins.
Seattle could pass us to drop us to 8th worst. Unlikely, but possible. If they win in any fashion and we lose in any fashion they pass us. If we lose in reg and they lose in otl/so they pass us.
Godspeed Kraken.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Looking at the teams ahead of us, most need D it seems to me. I also think those are the BPAs after Celebrini and Demidov.

My guess is those two guys, Buium, Levshunov, and Dickinson are gone.

We will have our pick of a few of Catton, Iginla, Lindstrom, Eiserman or Helenius. Or Yakemchuk or Silayev if we go D.

Reactions: King In The North

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
My attempt at how the top 10 goes

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Demidov
3. ANA - Levshunov (nice RHD to complete a young core, already stacked at forward and at LHD they have Mint)
4. CBJ - Lindstrom (nice 2nd C behind Fantilli)
5. UTA - Parekh (taking a high level RHD to compliment Simashev going forward)
6. MTL - Dickinson (Similar to teams above, they have a nice group at forward and taking a top LHD to compliment Reinbacher makes sense)
7. OTT - Silayev (for the love of god someone needs to play defense here, or they trade this for immediate help)
8. SEA - Catton (BPA here unbiasedly)
9. CGY - Iginla (LFG BOIZ)
10. NJD - Helenius or Eiserman

Last edited:
Reactions: Janks

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Not really that enamored by this year's top 10 outside of a couple players we won't be getting - who are you guys hoping we target?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
So the U18's will be starting soon, and there's a bunch of guys on Team Canada that could be a 2nd/3rd rnd pick for us. Guys like Luchenko, Beaudoin, Vanacker, Elick, Gill & the goalies

Then there's some top guys from the 2025 draft that we'll be talking about next year- McQueen, Martone & Desnoyers

It's always nice to have a team to cheer for!

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
My attempt at how the top 10 goes

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Demidov
3. ANA - Levshunov (nice RHD to complete a young core, already stacked at forward and at LHD they have Mint)
4. CBJ - Lindstrom (nice 2nd C behind Fantilli)
5. UTA - Parekh (taking a high level RHD to compliment Simashev going forward)
6. MTL - Dickinson (Similar to teams above, they have a nice group at forward and taking a top LHD to compliment Reinbacher makes sense)
7. OTT - Silayev (for the love of god someone needs to play defense here, or they trade this for immediate help)
8. SEA - Catton (BPA here unbiasedly)
9. CGY - Iginla (LFG BOIZ)
10. NJD - Helenius or Eiserman

Anaheim has a buttload of D prospects, but who knows with them.

CBJ similarly I can see going either way. They've got Sillinger, Fantilli and Johnson who were all drafted at C at least.

Reactions: King In The North

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Current top 10, feel free to ask away. Parenthesis beside name is number of viewings. Still expect some movement - should have a top 96 done by June.

1. Macklin Celebrini (6)
2. Ivan Demidov (2)
3. Zeev Buium (5)
4. Konsta Helenius (5)
5. Anton Silayev (3)
6. Tij Iginla (5)
7. Cayden Lindstrom (5)
8. Berkley Catton (10)
9. Sam Dickinson (6)
10. Artyom Levshunov (3)
What are your thoughts on Parekh? I see some people listing him top-5 and others outside the top-10. Do you think he’s a tier below the 4 dmen you have going top-10? And how does he compare to Yakemchuk in your opinion?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
What are your thoughts on Parekh? I see some people listing him top-5 and others outside the top-10. Do you think he’s a tier below the 4 dmen you have going top-10? And how does he compare to Yakemchuk in your opinion?
I’m really not a fan of Parekh actually. I think there are too many red flags there for me to have him very high. The defensive issues are the start for sure, but I’ve noted a couple times where he’s blatantly pulled up on puck retrievals to avoid any contact. Saginaw’s systems are very well tailored to his game, so the points look pretty inflated to me.

Incredible vision from up top at the blue line, there’s no denying that and should be a dynamic enough skater to be a weapon offensively, though his stride itself is so upright it leaves some explosiveness to be desired. But maybe that’s a point that doesn’t matter as he’s kind of a weird skater that relies on generating speed from mowhaks anyways.

Overall, I think he could end up as a guy you’re incredibly happy with running your PP, but have to hide him on the 3rd pair because of his other issues.

I’d take Yakemchuk ahead I think, because he could be a nice offensive piece that rounds out the other parts better than Parekh.

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
Parekh is talented. But this is perhaps the riskiest option for choosing in the TOP10.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The script writes itself:

Conroy: "I'm going to let my special advisor make the pick."

Iginla walks to the mic to thunderous applause.

Iginla: "Calgary selects... Carter... Yakemchuk?"

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Not really that enamored by this year's top 10 outside of a couple players we won't be getting - who are you guys hoping we target?
I’m really hoping either Helenius or Buium are there when we pick. That might be hopeful though. I have them high, but other rankings typically don’t (yet, anyways).

Buium has started to gain some traction and rise in the rankings that have come out recently after a strong showing through the playoffs. Helenius, to my knowledge, may not be available for Finland at the U18’s because he’s making a strong case to be on the men’s team at the WC and could receive a bump in rankings from that.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
We need a centre prospect… badly.
I’d say the prospect pool needs a bit of everything - especially considering Zary, Coronato, and Wolf as graduated. That leaves our top 5 as Honzek, Brzustewicz, Poirier, Morin, Pelletier.

Although C is the glaring weakness, and considering the age of our NHL C’s you cross your fingers and toes that BPA is a C, but there is quite literally no blue chip guys there. At 8/9 you’ll get one of those - doesn’t really matter much which position, because you desperately need it.

Like, assume Helenius, Catton, Lindstrom are gone at 8/9, you can’t pass on Buium or Iginla to take Hage as the next best C.

I do think a C is available there though, which is best case scenario for the pool.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Edit: Fixing this, as I forgot the NJD 4th (from the Canucks is conditional and can become a 3rd.

All Draft pick possibilities.

ROUNDORIG OWNERPICK NOTE(S)
:flames
  • #1 if the Flames win the first draft lottery
  • #2 if the Flames win the second draft lottery
  • #3 if Philly wins the 1st lottery draw and the Flames win the 2nd
  • #9 if two teams with picks 1-8 win lotteries
  • #10 if 1 team with picks 10-16 win a lottery
  • #11 if 2 teams with picks 10-16 win both lotteries
:nucks
  • #32 if Canucks win Stanley Cup
  • #31 if Canucks lose in SCF
  • #30 if Canucks lose in WCF and are a higher seed than the team to lose in the ECF
  • #29 if the Canucks lose in the WCF and are a lower seed than the team to lose in the ECF
  • #28 if the Canucks lose in round 1 or 2 and the other 3 division winners reach the WCF and ECF
  • #27 if the Canucks lose in round 1 or 2 and 2 other division winners reach the WCF and/or ECF
  • #26 if the Canucks lose in round 1 or 2 and 1 other division winners reach the WCF or ECF
  • #25 if all division winners lose in round 1 or 2
:stars
  • #60 if both the Stars and Rangers lose in round 1 or 2
  • #61 if the Stars lose in round 1 or 2 and the Rangers advance to the ECF
  • #62 if both the Stars and Rangers lose in the WCF and ECF
  • #63 if the Stars lose in the WCF and the Rangers either advance to the SCF or are eliminated in round 1 or 2
  • #64 if the Stars lose in the SCF
  • #65 if the Stars win the Stanley Cup
CONDITIONAL
:vegas
  • #82 if VGK loses in round 1 and both NYI and WSH advance to ECF
  • #83 if VGK loses in round 1 and 1 of NYI or WSH advance to ECF
  • #84 if all of VGK is eliminated in round 1 and both NYI and WSH are eliminated in round 1 or 2
  • if VGK advances to round #2 this pick becomes a 2nd in 2025
CONDITIONAL
:nucks
  • Pick does not transfer if Vancouver loses in round 1 or 2
  • #94 if VAN loses in the WCF and are a lower seed than the team who loses in the ECF
  • #95 if VAN loses in the WCF and are a higher seed than the team who loses in the ECF
  • #96 if VAN loses in SCF
  • #97 if VAN wins Stanley Cup
CONDITIONAL
:devils
  • Pick does not transfer is VAN reaches WCF

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Personal preference would be Tij or Yakemchuk if we pick 9th, I think we've seen how important it is to have players that want to be here over the last 3-4 years. Unless Catton, Buium, or Demidov are still up there, none of this 2nd tier really stand out to me as being clear cut choices so who knows how the top 10 ends up shaking out.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Helenius will be joining Finland U18 afterall. Thought it would make more sense for that as Finland is hosting. Will be a good Tourny to keep track of lots of potential future Flames

Reactions: User1996

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad