2024 Draft

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
Maybe “not even think about them” was a bit strong. I don’t hate them, but I think all the guys I listed have skills that make them better bets to hit and become actual high end players. Whether or not that happens, who knows.

Silayev: Strong start to the year with 6 PTS in 6 GP, but production was almost non-existent after (5 PTS in 57 GP). I don’t see the puck skills and offensive skills to contribute that you’d like to see out of a 2nd pick. Although the size and skating combination is intriguing, I don’t see the Victor Hedman comparison that McKenzie tossed out during his rankings show. Projects as likely a solid PK guy with his reach, but not a guy that will play on a PP (maybe PP2). Catton, Demidov, Buium I prefer because they all have the chance to be game breakers, Dickenson projects to put up better offensive numbers than Silayev with roughly the same defensive contribution. If someone preferred Silayev to Dickinson I really wouldn’t question it or die on that hill despite my opinion.

Levshunov: I want to like him so bad because the size and production, but again, I think there are some big limitations there. Having only watched 2 games of Miromanov, they seem fairly similar to me so take that comparison with a grain of salt. His skating will get noted as a big positive because he skates fast in a straight line forward, but he’s not a particularly functional skater, I would argue. Hockey sense is a big one for me, particularly on the defensive side of the game, which is something I’ve always seen as incredibly difficult to teach. Not particularly high on his ability to move the puck unless he can wind up and skate with it. Think toolsy, but needs to put it all together.
Levshunov is second in points on his team, the best NCAA player in terms of utility, of course, +- is usually not given when evaluating a player, since the indicator depends on many factors and is not always objective, but in this case this figure is very different from the figures of other players team, that is, he is good with everyone no matter who they put him with. Yes, he will never grow to Makar’s level, but he can become like Slavin, Tanev, maybe more attacking, he added to PP during the season.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Levshunov is second in points on his team, the best NCAA player in terms of utility, of course, +- is usually not given when evaluating a player, since the indicator depends on many factors and is not always objective, but in this case this figure is very different from the figures of other players team, that is, he is good with everyone no matter who they put him with. Yes, he will never grow to Makar’s level, but he can become like Slavin, Tanev, maybe more attacking, he added to PP during the season.

Nothing I've heard or seen from him suggests he will ever become that good defensively.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Nothing I've heard or seen from him suggests he will ever become that good defensively.
I agree there have been some questions on that, but he is a beast physically and there have been E Johnson/Bogosian comparables.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
He’s first actually. And what do you mean by utility?

I kind of get the sense that you’ve just regurgitated a scouting report and thrown some stats at me.

Like, scouting would be about looking at the tools and projecting them to the NHL level, which really don’t show a Tanev type at all (that’s pretty much exactly what he’s not).

He looks so good in highlights and sounds so good reading up on him. But full games I’ve seen leaves a lot to be desired. He is one guy I’ve noted to get some more viewings in by the end of the year, so I could do a 180, but as of now he’s not a top 10 prospect for me.

Last edited:

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
I watch his games, at least 10 games a season at Michigan State.
He sometimes looks clumsy in his zone, but this is a misleading impression; when he is on the ice, the team concedes the fewest pucks.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Demidov pls, sounds like hes a only guy whose got franchise level potential beaide celebrini. Also seems we are more accepting of russian prospects/players now, i wouldn't even be surre we would drafted michkov even if we had a chance last yr

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Demidov pls, sounds like hes a only guy whose got franchise level potential beaide celebrini. Also seems we are more accepting of russian prospects/players now, i wouldn't even be surre we would drafted michkov even if we had a chance last yr
I'd love to get Demidov, but he's likely the 2nd F taken and top 5 for sure.
Don't see it for us.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Not trying to be a contrarian, but based on the group comments, if that BPA band is so wide, I'd be interested into looking at what is offered for trading away that first rounder+ for a C or D prospect before making a pick. We might make the pick anyways unless some interesting prospect shakes free because a team gets desperate to get into that band.

Like if a Shane Wright calibre C prospect is available for around 10 OA and a reasonable plus when there's mostly just wingers around BPA (no D and C without a huge reach), I'd have to stop and think about it.

Who else might qualify that y'all can think of who maybe could be available that could give pause between trading for with our first as a basis? Maybe even young guys Konencny? Keller?

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Not trying to be a contrarian, but based on the group comments, if that BPA band is so wide, I'd be interested into looking at what is offered for trading away that first rounder+ for a C or D prospect before making a pick. We might make the pick anyways unless some interesting prospect shakes free because a team gets desperate to get into that band.

Like if a Shane Wright calibre C prospect is available for around 10 OA and a reasonable plus when there's mostly just wingers around BPA (no D and C without a huge reach), I'd have to stop and think about it.

Who else might qualify that y'all can think of who maybe could be available that could give pause between trading for with our first as a basis? Maybe even young guys Konencny? Keller?
All three first round picks for Zegras.

That'd be funny.

Reactions: Fig

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Who would you rather take: Eiserman, Helenius or Iginla?

I would be more than fine with Helenius or Iginla. I personally hope Eiserman is gone before our pick

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Who would you rather take: Eiserman, Helenius or Iginla?

I would be more than fine with Helenius or Iginla. I personally hope Eiserman is gone before our pick

Guys that fall off like Eiserman who was in the
debate for 1OA with Celebrini last year scare me more than guys that rise like Iginla so I’d agree with you on that one. Hopefully it’s not a choice they have to make

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Guys that fall off like Eiserman who was in the
debate for 1OA with Celebrini last year scare me more than guys that rise like Iginla so I’d agree with you on that one. Hopefully it’s not a choice they have to make
I agree. It's great that he can score goals, its the other stuff I've read about him that scare me off. Too soft, lazy etc

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I’ve got a question for everyone. In the extremely rare scenario where we hit a lottery win that bumps us up to 3OA and Celebrini and Demidov are off the board, who are you taking?

Is it an easy pick in Levshunov or do you go a bit out of order to take Lindstrom. Maybe look at trading down to a team that needs D and still get one of Lindstrom/Catton at 7-8?

Ultimately I think winning the lottery would be really cool but if we stay put at 8-12 getting one of Helenius/Iginla/Yak is still pretty cool

I agree. It's great that he can score goals, its the other stuff I've read about him that scare me off. Too soft, lazy etc

I think he can be productive at the NHL level but he’d need a play driving center man and we don’t do that here in Calgary

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'd take your 2nd option of trading down a few spots and still coming away with Catton/Lindstrom
Then hopefully we could swing an upgrade on the Van 1st and still get Iginla

We have as good a chance of winning the Home Lottery as this lottery though...

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Levshunov at 3 definitely isn’t the easy, slam-dunk pick. With the wide-open nature of this draft, I’d rather just get our guy at 3 than risk it.

Lindstrom’s absence scares me. It’s been too long for there to have not been some kind of complication in recovery. NHL teams will obviously get a better idea what’s going on than I do.

Assuming it’s nothing major, I think I’d go Catton/Buium/Lindstrom at 3 and be completely fine that it might be considered a reach.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd take your 2nd option of trading down a few spots and still coming away with Catton/Lindstrom
Then hopefully we could swing an upgrade on the Van 1st and still get Iginla

We have as good a chance of winning the Home Lottery as this lottery though...
I agree on trading down too. If we get 3rd and Ottawa is 6th, I'd offer them #3 + Dallas 2nd for #5 and the Bruins 1st. Or if he Ducks are behind us, try and work out a deal to get teh Oilers 1st

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I’ve got a question for everyone. In the extremely rare scenario where we hit a lottery win that bumps us up to 3OA and Celebrini and Demidov are off the board, who are you taking?

That's no longer possible

Starting in 2021, the NHL dropped the number of lottery draws from three to two, ensuring that the team with the worst record in the NHL selects no later than third overall if it loses the first or second lottery draws.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am starting to really get on the Michael Hage train. Unfortunately his play down the stretch has almost certainly taken him out of the Vancouver pick range. I'd have him right in that 12-15 slot personally after digging deeper on the kid.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I am starting to really get on the Michael Hage train. Unfortunately his play down the stretch has almost certainly taken him out of the Vancouver pick range. I'd have him right in that 12-15 slot personally after digging deeper on the kid.
I think it’s completely fair to have guys that high that aren’t typically talked about in the range. I’m certainly not sold on the typical names - Boisvert, Greentree, Hemming, Connelly.

I think we could start seeing some shockers (in comparison to consensus rankings) around that range this year.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s completely fair to have guys that high that aren’t typically talked about in the range. I’m certainly not sold on the typical names - Boisvert, Greentree, Hemming, Connelly.

I think we could start seeing some shockers (in comparison to consensus rankings) around that range this year.
Hemming is one that has really dropped this 2nd half. Not many have him in the top 20, some evn don't have him 1st rnd
Hage has risen some, I think he's usually slated 20-30.
What about Boisvert & Greentree do you not like? I'd be super happy with either with a late 1st.
Connelly skill wise would be a steal there too.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

This year is definitely a year where it feels like the late 1st through middle to even late 2nd round is pretty close, and will come down largely to org preference.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Hemming is one that has really dropped this 2nd half. Not many have him in the top 20, some evn don't have him 1st rnd
Hage has risen some, I think he's usually slated 20-30.
What about Boisvert & Greentree do you not like? I'd be super happy with either with a late 1st.
Connelly skill wise would be a steal there too.
I mean, he’s still 15 on McKenzie’s rankings which seem to be the gold standard considering how they’re put together.

For the record, I’m talking about the 12-15 range. I wouldn’t be upset with these guys at the Vancouver pick, but where I have them ranked, I’m guessing there would be preferred options there:

Boisvert (4 full viewings) is not good supporting the puck as a C and makes himself unavailable as an option. Average skating, but below average acceleration (when he chooses to use it), and plays an overall slow game with the puck. There just isn’t that one skill that makes me think “that could be a game breaking NHL C, really. I really haven’t seen him impact the game as much as I’d like - often he’s just out there - not transporting pucks through the NZ, or any of the things I’d like a C to do to say “that could transfer to the NHL”.

Greentree (4 full viewings) has some nice tools. I think I might knock guys too much when I see things that reflect a lack of commitment. From what I’ve seen, he’s quite bad as a winger in the DZ (toe caps towards the corners, etc.). That’s obviously very teachable, but I do question the commitment to that. As an example, in the Top Prospect game he shoulder checked, identified his D creeping down into soft ice as a threat, but didn’t move to adjust. By the end of the play, he was still above the circles, and his man was crashing the net after getting an uncontested pass. It was one of those plays where you have to question the give a shit a little.

Connelly (3 full viewings) is completely a character thing for me, but NHL teams who get to talk to him will have a better idea on that.

Again, any of these guys bet on with Vancouvers pick late is completely fine by me. If the Flames pick ends up at 12, I’d be very upset if they went with any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad