2024 Draft

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
You think we can slide to pick 6-8?

I worry we may need to be that high to get Tij.

If Tij goes higher than that, we'll still get a great player there.

Also Joe Iginla in 2026 (Would be awesome if that was the Vegas pick)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You think we can slide to pick 6-8?

I worry we may need to be that high to get Tij.

If Tij goes higher than that, we'll still get a great player there.

Also Joe Iginla in 2026 (Would be awesome if that was the Vegas pick)
I think we could get pick 8 or 9.

But I think Montreal and Arizona are too far behind for them to catch us

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
8-10 has like a 5-6% of winning the lottery so thats kinda cool

But I agree it doesn’t look like lower than 8 is achievable. We also have to out suck a lot of mid teams just to get to 8

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
I always maintain in the first round ignore positional need and draft whoever is the best available(but it’s fair to say where we will be drafting there will be a group of players who you could all claim are BPA)

If we select 8-10 and a guy like Iginla is available that’s awesome but if a defenceman like silayev or levshunov slips for any reason you gotta grab them regardless of position.

Reactions: IharRB

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Honestly the only team i cant see passing us is Pittsburgh, that team looks like its just given up. I think 9 is the number we gonna end up at.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
macklinFlames.jpg

Your thoughts are the architects of your destiny

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think Berkeley Catton is a top 3 player in this draft class and I think he'll be avaliable at 9 or 10.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
without watching any of the prospect, I think im reading the tier around something below

Macklin Celebrini

Ivan Demidov
Berkley Catton
Cayden Lindstrom
Sam Dickinson
Cole Eiserman
Artyom Levshunov
Anton Silayev
Zayne Parekh
Zeev Buium

Trevor Connelly
Tij Iginla
Carter Yakemchuk
Konsta Helenius

So baring a lottery win, as long as we are in the top 10 i think its gonna be fine

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think Berkeley Catton is a top 3 player in this draft class and I think he'll be avaliable at 9 or 10.
Top 5 without a doubt. Between Demidov, Catton, and Buium I’m hopeful we can get a prospect with game breaking potential if we can just slide down to that ~10 range. Iginla would be a very good consolation as well.

We won’t have our pick of that list, but I’m confident one of them will be around at near 10.

Reactions: Dack

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
without watching any of the prospect, I think im reading the tier around something below

Macklin Celebrini

Ivan Demidov
Berkley Catton
Cayden Lindstrom
Sam Dickinson
Cole Eiserman
Artyom Levshunov
Anton Silayev
Zayne Parekh
Zeev Buium

Trevor Connelly
Tij Iginla
Carter Yakemchuk
Konsta Helenius

So baring a lottery win, as long as we are in the top 10 i think its gonna be fine
Having watched a bunch of draft eligible games this year, I’d have that list split into 4 tiers, and have some movement between your 2nd and 3rd tiers. For example, I have Catton, Demidov, and Buium as significantly better prospects than Parekh or Levshunov.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Yah Catton or Tij would be great.

Would live to somehow get both even if we had to deal our 2nds and a 3rd to move the lower 1st rounder up.

Maybe 9th and 13th would get those two.

If 26 + 2nd, 2nd, 3rd could get us up to 13th for Catton I would do it.

Conroy would benefit from taking some quantity and turning it into quality.

Oh nvm I guess Catton looks like he'll go higher than Tij.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Devils might be in that 13-14 range and still have interest in Markstrom as well

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Devils might be in that 13-14 range and still have interest in Markstrom as well
If we could do Markstrom 25% retention - straight up for the 13th pick I think it would be a good deal.

50% Retention with Holtz

75% Retention with Holtz and a 3rd we add in a 5th

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In less than a week, we've gone from sitting at the 14th pick, to the 11th.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
At this point, the variance on rankings and lack of consensus beyond Celebrini means that we should be able get a good pick regardless

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
At this point, the variance on rankings and lack of consensus beyond Celebrini means that we should be able get a good pick regardless
True, but its nice to be able to get the guy that we want, and not the guy that falls to us.
Almost everyone has the same guys in the top 13, then the fun starts.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Unless we jump up into the top 3 there’s probably no way we’re passing on Tij if he’s still on the board right? No matter where we pick if it’s in the 8-14 range

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
View attachment 833915

Your thoughts are the architects of your destiny
Is that Celebrini in a Flames jersey? LOL, Looks good on him!

Unless we jump up into the top 3 there’s probably no way we’re passing on Tij if he’s still on the board right? No matter where we pick if it’s in the 8-14 range
Lots of mocks I've seen have us taking Yak, even when Iginla is available.
But they are just mocks, so....
I don't know how anyone could not be happy with drafting him.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Is that Celebrini in a Flames jersey? LOL, Looks good on him!

Lots of mocks I've seen have us taking Yak, even when Iginla is available.
But they are just mocks, so....
I don't know how anyone could not be happy with drafting him.

As long as we don’t take one of the LHD

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
As long as we don’t take one of the LHD
the Flames aren't good enough to be picky. they need to take the best player available regardless of position or name. Besides the top 3 LD should be better than any of the LD prospects in the system

Reactions: User1996

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Nah, it's BPA so long as it's a defenceman or center. No wingers (except maybe Iginla) or goalies.

Contending teams build around the defence and center and it's long past time the Flames followed suit.

Which is why it's a virtual guarantee the Flames will draft a left shot left winger with their first

As an aside, one other thing to keep in mind is if the Flames draft a RHS defenceman (or bring one in via trade or free agency), Brzustewicz might not sign here. There's already 3 RHS ahead of him that play similar styles in Andersson, Weegar, & Miromanov all signed for at least 2 more years. And then there's Pachal who as a stay at home type that even if bottom pairing quality, might not be moved because of need.

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
16 Tij Iginla C Kelowna DOB: 4-Aug-06 Ht: 5' 11.75\" Shoots: L Iginla has been excellent this season in the WHL for Kelowna and has emerged as a top NHL prospect. The son of Jarome Iginla, Tij is a very talented offensive player. His stickhandling displays stand out constantly. He beats defenders one-on-one at a high rate, and improvises very well with the puck. He skates well and can make high-skill plays with his feet moving. Iginla had a strong shot, scoring a lot of goals this season, and projects to beat pro goalies from range. His pure sense and playmaking don't stand out like the rest of his game, and I wouldn't call him a high-compete type, but he works hard enough. He has the makings of a potential strong top-six wing.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Nah, it's BPA so long as it's a defenceman or center. No wingers (except maybe Iginla) or goalies.

Contending teams build around the defence and center and it's long past time the Flames followed suit.

Which is why it's a virtual guarantee the Flames will draft a left shot left winger with their first

As an aside, one other thing to keep in mind is if the Flames draft a RHS defenceman (or bring one in via trade or free agency), Brzustewicz might not sign here. There's already 3 RHS ahead of him that play similar styles in Andersson, Weegar, & Miromanov all signed for at least 2 more years. And then there's Pachal who as a stay at home type that even if bottom pairing quality, might not be moved because of need.
Brewski will need at least a full year in the AHL, and the good news is there won't be much in his way there. Again - just imagine Poirier & Brzust on the PP!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad