2024 Draft Thread

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
No. 27: Jett Luchanko, C, Guelph Storm (OHL) Height: 5-foot-11 Weight 170 pounds

Luchanko brings more than just offence. He's a player who can be relied upon in a variety of roles. Listed as a winger, but he plays the majority of his shifts in the middle. On the PP he slots into a role as a quarterback, distributor, shooter, playmaker on the point and leads the breakout. Leans distributor more than shooter, but has an understated and deceptive release with the ability to change the angle of his blade to direct pucks on net. Competes the entire 200 feet. Sturdy strong. Not punishing physically, but also not easy to knock off the play. Very good skater who's trending up.

Jett has one of the best backhanders I've seen since Sundin. That's his go-to move.

Really appreciate you giving this info.

Does he project as a winger or centre at the pro level?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
You do realize Parekh had 33 goals as a defenseman in the OHL? Not even Drew Doughty had those types of numbers. Parekh is legit and he’s a RHD as well.

This is why you have to actually watch the games instead of just looking at the stat sheet, my friend.

Parekh is God-awful defensively and his physical play is non existent. He benefits greatly from playing on a loaded team.

Spouting about his scoring prowess is laughably misguided. Since you put so much emphasis on scoring statistics, take a good look at defensemen with the highest scoring seasons in the OHL and you’ll see how few of them had any impact at the pro level.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Really appreciate you giving this info.

Does he project as a winger or centre at the pro level?
I think he projects as a two-way, middle six center as he leans distributor and is a responsible three-zone player. He needs to get stronger but he has good compete and motor and he's a very good skater. He has some similarities in profile to Cowan from a year ago (IQ, effort, skill combo) but he reminds me stylistically of Robert Thomas from his draft year.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I won’t be surprised if we go with Luchanko. He’s exactly the type of prospect we typically target. It would be nice adding a right handed two way centre to the prospect pool. If we don’t go Luchanko we’ll go for a rhd.

Reactions: aingefan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he projects as a two-way, middle six center as he leans distributor and is a responsible three-zone player. He needs to get stronger but he has good compete and motor and he's a very good skater. He has some similarities in profile to Cowan from a year ago (IQ, effort, skill combo) but he reminds me stylistically of Robert Thomas from his draft year.

Barzal is borderline 1C type player but I can see a few similarities in his game from those highlights.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Currently we own no seconds or thirds. Our picks are numbers 23, 120, 137, 152, 157. I hope we can somehow acquire a second rounder in this draft by moving any surplus depth from the org.

I'm also not opposed to trading back in the right scenario. I think we could get 2 players we really like if we don't move down too far.

Potential trade partners:

Anaheim 25, 35, 62, 66, 68, 76
Carolina 27, 60, 95
Ottawa 29, 39, 104
Calgary 30, 40, 64, 73, 86
San Jose 33, 44, 85
Chicago 34, 53, 63, 67, 72
Arizona 37, 50, 59, 70, 89, 92
Seattle 42, 65, 75, 88
St. Louis 48, 56
Nashville 54, 55, 57, 87, 96

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Currently we own no seconds or thirds. Our picks are numbers 23, 120, 137, 152, 157. I hope we can somehow acquire a second rounder in this draft by moving any surplus depth from the org.

I'm also not opposed to trading back in the right scenario. I think we could get 2 players we really like if we don't move down too far.

Potential trade partners:

Anaheim 25, 35, 62, 66, 68, 76
Carolina 27, 60, 95
Ottawa 29, 39, 104
Calgary 30, 40, 64, 73, 86
San Jose 33, 44, 85
Chicago 34, 53, 63, 67, 72
Arizona 37, 50, 59, 70, 89, 92
Seattle 42, 65, 75, 88
St. Louis 48, 56
Nashville 54, 55, 57, 87, 96

To be honest, I don't see a trade back.

I say this because we resisted trading our 1st for help at the TDL so maybe they have someone in mind they like?

That being said, wouldn't be upset with doing something like a 5th and Robertson for a 2nd this year or next.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Sounds perfect for the wingers in house, really eh?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Can anyone who follows the WHL comment on Julius Miettinen's game? At first glance his profile as a big (6'3" 205lbs), hard-nosed left-center is intriguing as are his numbers (31 goals and 36 assists +27) with Everrett.

31. Julius Miettinen, C, Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Height: 6-foot-3 Weight: 205 pounds

Adjustment to North America took longer than even he expected. Plays a hard-nosed game where he’s able to ward off defenders and find his way to the net. Point production has increased dramatically since the start of 2024.

No. 33: Julius Miettinen, C, Everett Silvertips (WHL)
Height: 6-foot-3 Weight: 203 pounds

Plays to a consistent identity, bringing a combination of size and power. Good skater who is hard to bump off pucks in the tough areas. Leans shooter more than distributor. Has a quick release and shoots it hard and accurately. Dangerous on the power play.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Went to check the stats (especially FO%) for the two centers I like in our range. Here's how they stack up. Keep in mind Guelph isn't a very good offensive team and a middle of the pack team overall. So even though they're 7th in the OHL in least goals allowed, they've scores the 4th least amount of goals as a team (especially with Poitrass). Everett is a very good team that's 4th in most goals for and 4th in least goals against.

Julius Miettinen, 6'3 207lbs (Age: 18.2)
66gp 31g 36a 67pts +27 32pim 54.3FO% (789/1454)

Jett Luchanko, 5'11 183lbs (Age: 17.7)
68gp 20g 54a 74pts -13 36pim 49.7FO% (663/1335)

I'm still on Luchenko or one of the RD with our pick, but Matthews, Miettinen, Minten wouldn't be a bad triumvirate either.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

“I would describe Luchanko as a lower-case Nick Suzuki [of the Montreal Canadiens]”, said Button. The more I watch him, he’s got the same subtleties, hockey sense, and awareness of what’s going on out there. He can play in every situation and do it well.”

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
This is why you have to actually watch the games instead of just looking at the stat sheet, my friend.

Parekh is God-awful defensively and his physical play is non existent. He benefits greatly from playing on a loaded team.

Spouting about his scoring prowess is laughably misguided. Since you put so much emphasis on scoring statistics, take a good look at defensemen with the highest scoring seasons in the OHL and you’ll see how few of them had any impact at the pro level.

Parekh while extremely skilled and talented is a pick I'd rather another team than my own make. The team that takes him in the top 10 really needs him to pop and be a Hughes, Makar, Fox level talent, if not there aren't many defencemen of his architype playing hockey in June,

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Parekh while extremely skilled and talented is a pick I'd rather another team than my own make. The team that takes him in the top 10 really needs him to pop and be a Hughes, Makar, Fox level talent, if not there aren't many defencemen of his architype playing hockey in June,
He’s a guy that’s interesting if you have a bunch of picks to cover a big miss.
So yeah, that’s definitely not us.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Enjoying the information being shared in this thread, but I’m still fully on board the Charlie Elick train for our pick if he’s still available when we step up to draft.
I wouldn't mind Elick either. After hearing about this draft more and how it's not the strongest of drafts Elick is someone who seems like a very safe pick who could potentially be a top 4 shutdown guy and PKer. I also think we could possibly trade back to get him to hopefully get another late 2nd/3rd round pick. Before we did that I'd still wait to see if any of the guys projected top 20 drop because you know some teams are gonna make picks that are a bit of a reach just to get their guy.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Sam O'Reilly for me.

Plays for London and just has a name that screams a good future hockey player. Take him!

Reactions: horner

weems

Jul 3, 2008
You'll soon get a good idea of just how good Parekh is because it's going to be Saginaw vs London in the next round.

Pretty much concensus that his offensive skills are super elite but the question is his ability to play defence in his own end.

If he has a strong series vs a team like London with many future NHL'ers, I would assume his stock will skyrocket but if he gets wrecked then he'll unfortunately get stuck with the great offense/terrible defense label and some GM's would rather just let some other team take that player.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Interested to see how many teams pass on Trevor Connelly. If he makes it to the second round the league is a disgrace.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Stat watching, Luchanko is having a pretty pedestrian playoff.

I don't think Guelph is a good team though.

Reactions: horner

horner

May 22, 2007
Stat watching, Luchanko is having a pretty pedestrian playoff.

I don't think Guelph is a good team though.
Watched him play against the London Knights a couple of times .
Wasn't impresses at all.
Greenway the same thing not impressed at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad