2024 Draft Thread

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Jett Luchanko really projects as a prospect that Wes Clark would target. A highly-intellegent player with good compete and skating, who has been on an upward trajectory since entering the OHL. Very similar profile to Minten and Cowan in that regard.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Jett Luchanko really projects as a prospect that Wes Clark would target. A highly-intellegent player with good compete and skating, who has been on an upward trajectory since entering the OHL. Very similar profile to Minten and Cowan in that regard.
Unfortunately, his team sucks so he's not going to have the hot run in the playoffs that Cowan had, because they are similar types of players.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I dunno but he's drafted plenty of 5'10"-6'" defensemen in his tenure with the Flames. Not to mention forwards as well. Size is pretty irrelevant, they probably just want a good player wherever they pick.

We've also taken quite a few of those 5'10"-6" defenseman earlish in the draft and it hasn't worked out great for us

I can't say I'm a huge fan of that mid size guy who does everything ok but lacks another higher end ability

Those guys seem to stay in the system and make the NHL roster but they lack ceiling and struggle to take the next step in there development and become top 4D

Reactions: darrylsittler27

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We've also taken quite a few of those 5'10"-6" defenseman earlish in the draft and it hasn't worked out great for us

I can't say I'm a huge fan of that mid size guy who does everything ok but lacks another higher end ability

Those guys seem to stay in the system and make the NHL roster but they lack ceiling and struggle to take the next step in there development and become top 4D

The big guys haven't worked out either? Who's the last big defenseman drafted by the Leafs that made an impact day in and out? Like our best drafted defenders have been very average built. Your last line you can say that about big and small guys.

At the end of the day, your NHL roster needs balance for sure and I get the appeal of having big guys all over. But when you draft, gimme the one that can play before looking at how tall they are.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The big guys haven't worked out either? Who's the last big defenseman drafted by the Leafs that made an impact day in and out? Like our best drafted defenders have been very average built. Your last line you can say that about big and small guys.

At the end of the day, your NHL roster needs balance for sure and I get the appeal of having big guys all over. But when you draft, gimme the one that can play before looking at how tall they are.

We haven't drafted and developed any defenseman besides Rielly (who skates bloody well) for the last 15 years, even Liljegren seems to have stalled at #5D

We don't pick good big or mid size guys, our entire process is fundamentally flawed and needs a rethink

Worked out way better than the big guys.

Not really, we've picked a bunch of fridges later in the draft but we've used higher picks on those mid size guys and don't have a lot to show for it besides Rielly who's a 4OA

Reactions: arso40 and horner

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We haven't drafted and developed any defenseman besides Rielly (who skates bloody well) for the last 15 years, even Liljegren seems to have stalled at #5D

We don't pick good big or mid size guys, our entire process is fundamentally flawed and needs a rethink

Not really, we've picked a bunch of fridges later in the draft but we've used higher picks on those mid size guys and don't have a lot to show for it besides Rielly who's a 4OA

Sandin? Dude just signed a 5 year extension with the Caps. Durzi not really developed by us but likely would have been just the same player. Dermott is an NHLer. Liljegren stalled as a 24 year old... ok maybe.

It's been a weakness of the Leafs drafting top end defenders for sure. But to make it a size issue is wrong because they have drafted 6'6" giants and 5'9" defenders just like any other NHL team. I think the NHL draft is largely about luck and having the right people in place. The moment you prioritize the height of a player over what they do on the ice, you've lost.

horner

May 22, 2007
I watched him play the London Knights twice .
He did nothing that excites me

He just blended in with the other players

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sandin? Dude just signed a 5 year extension with the Caps. Durzi not really developed by us but likely would have been just the same player. Dermott is an NHLer. Liljegren stalled as a 24 year old... ok maybe.

It's been a weakness of the Leafs drafting top end defenders for sure. But to make it a size issue is wrong because they have drafted 6'6" giants and 5'9" defenders just like any other NHL team. I think the NHL draft is largely about luck and having the right people in place. The moment you prioritize the height of a player over what they do on the ice, you've lost.

We traded Sandin because we thought he'd topped out and it remains to be seen if we were right or wrong on that but if he goes on to succeed somewhere else that doesn't reflect well on our ability to judge what we've already got

LA developed Durzi, he was traded pretty quickly in the Muzzin deal

Dermott basically stalled out as a bottom pair, Liljegren remains to be seen but he's struggling to overcome that final hurdle to full time top 4

I think you have more leeway if the guys bigger, he has more ways to defend (including using his size/body) and has a larger wingspan with his stick and he's better suited to that bottom pair PK/punch the odd face role usually asked of them but those guys still need at least another high end ability to make it and we're missing on it way to often

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Since 2002, we've drafted 18 defensemen in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

10 of those 18 defensemen were 5'11"(2), 6'0"(5), or 6'1"(3). 5 of those defensemen (5'11", 6'0", 6'0", 6'1", 6'1") became NHLers, and one (6'0") remains a top prospect.
8 of those 18 defensemen were 6'2"(1), 6'3"(2), 6'4"(3), or 6'5"(2). 1 of those defensemen (6'2") became an NHLer, and he (Schenn) was still a disappointment relative to his draft position.

We're looking to draft good hockey players, not fridges.

Reactions: SprDaVE

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

Its pretty simple. We have to take the best C or D available, size isnt the major issue. We have to swing this draft, no picks next year. Its inside our window and Centers can be here in 2 years. We arent drafting by size but we are looking to add size if possible.

Reactions: horner

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Since 2002, we've drafted 18 defensemen in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

10 of those 18 defensemen were 5'11"(2), 6'0"(5), or 6'1"(3). 5 of those defensemen (5'11", 6'0", 6'0", 6'1", 6'1") became NHLers, and one (6'0") remains a top prospect.
8 of those 18 defensemen were 6'2"(1), 6'3"(2), 6'4"(3), or 6'5"(2). 1 of those defensemen (6'2") became an NHLer, and he (Schenn) was still a disappointment relative to his draft position.

We're looking to draft good hockey players, not fridges.
Congratulations, we're picking neither

Virtually all those mid size high IQ types you boys are advocating for are replacement level bottom pairs, you can get them in UFA for close on league minimum

Rielly is the only consistent top 4D we've picked and developed in the last 15 years and he's a 4OA

We don't pick good defensemen, don't develop good defensemen

Everything we do needs to be throughly investigated and sorted out

Reactions: arso40

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Virtually all those mid size high IQ types you boys are advocating for are replacement level bottom pairs, you can get them in UFA for close on league minimum
We pick both. We have been much more successful with the average sized picks, and no, they are not just replacement level bottom pairs. You could argue for more defensemen drafting overall (keeping in mind that we're not drafting in the top half of the 1st round), but that has nothing to do with the size aspect you focused on.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I feel like Brunicke might be the best pick to make. Probably surprise people like the Cowan and Minten picks but I feel like his potential is higher than most in this draft.

Idk where he is ranked but Kevin He would be a good pick if he makes it to the 4th round.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Rielly is the only consistent top 4D we've picked and developed in the last 15 years and he's a 4OA

We don't pick good defensemen, don't develop good defensemen

Everything we do needs to be throughly investigated and sorted out

The last time the Leafs had a bluechip defense prospect with 6'4" reach, long elegant skating stride, workhorse defenseman characteristics, solid puck moving abilities and surprising amount of nastiness was Kenny Jonsson. And he was drafted in 1993 and traded away in short order.

With our first round picks, we literally have never targeted those characteristics, we just go from cartoon extremes of "high IQ" guys and "fridges", the last time someone like that was even remotely in their orbit was probably K'Andre Miller in 2018.

horner

May 22, 2007
The last time the Leafs had a bluechip defense prospect with 6'4" reach, long elegant skating stride, workhorse defenseman characteristics, solid puck moving abilities and surprising amount of nastiness was Kenny Jonsson. And he was drafted in 1993 and traded away in short order.

With our first round picks, we literally have never targeted those characteristics, we just go from cartoon extremes of "high IQ" guys and "fridges", the last time someone like that was even remotely in their orbit was probably K'Andre Miller in 2018.
The problem is we either trade a you blue-chip dman or make a dumb trade.

Randy Carlyle we drafted him in 1976 and we traded him 2 years later.

I 1991 we sucked but management thought it would be a good idea to trade there 1st for Tom kurvers remember that HOF inducty LMAOF. We ended up drawing 3rd overall NJ selected Scott Niedermayer .

This is why we don't have great dman

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I loved Miller in his draft year, he had a mix of tools size and he'd only been playing defense for a couple of years so he had untold ceiling and potential

I want to see what we can do with someone who has plus tools

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Aside from Elick, Luchanko, Brunicke, Roberts, and Miettinen two other guys on my radar are Pettersson, Parascak, and Stiga.

I love Pettersson's energy and activity. He has a great motor and competes really well on both ends for a guy his size.

Parascak looks like the ultimate complimentary player. He's the kind of guy you want lining up next to your best players. Reads the play well and goes to the dirty areas to get the puck, and has enough skill to make the most of his opportunities.

No. 31: Lucas Pettersson, F, MODO J20 (Sweden)
Height: 5-foot-11 Weight: 170 pounds

Pettersson is a forward who contributes in a variety of ways. Offensively, he produced 27G–30A at the J20 level in Sweden. When he plays for the U18 national team he’s used in all situations and takes key faceoffs in all three zones. Pettersson is committed defensively. He rotates into shooting lanes effectively on the penalty kill and has good jump to win 50/50 races to pucks. He’s best described as equal parts shooter and distributor and plays the game fast.

No. 16: Terik Parascak, F, Prince George Cougars (WHL)
Height: 5-foot-11 Weight: 173 pounds

Parascak is an intriguing prospect who produced 43G–62A for the Cougars in the regular season and was also an astounding plus-49. Parascak extends plays along the wall and escapes pressure in small areas. He isn’t the biggest, or strongest, prospect but he’s plenty slippery and hard to defend. His three-zone detail is reliable as well. I’m monitoring him in the playoffs to see how he handles the extra attention that will come. It’s somewhat difficult to put into words but Parascak, despite his statistics, isn’t necessarily a play driver. He’s a play “extender” who capitalizes on his chances when he finds quiet ice to score.

No. 42: Teddy Stiga, F, USNTDP
Height: 5-foot-10 Weight: 176 pounds

A player to keep an eye on as the NHL draft nears in June. Undersized, but always involved. Stocky strong. Plays with high end pace and relentless compete. Never goes away and is always around the play. Used in all situations at the USNTDP. Not naturally gifted with the puck, but his offence comes from hard work and determination. Not the kind of player who will slow the game down and get too creative with the puck. Reliable in all three zones. Tracks back the full 200 feet. Can slot into the top six or middle six and contribute to team results.

Reactions: SprDaVE and kb

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

We had to bring back Clark!

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Not to be an asshole, but the tribute to Rodion the other night reminded me.

Is there any chance the Leafs have applied to the NHL to get a compensatory pick from this situation?

I know because we signed him we wouldn't typically get one - but does the NHL really want to incentivize teams to avoid signing players in these situations going forward?

It wouldn't be a good look if a team takes a guy in the first/second round, then they get a major illness with a chance of recovering (and a chance of not recovering), and it's then in the teams best interest to avoid signing them because they will then likely receive a compensatory pick if something tragic happens.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Not to be an asshole, but the tribute to Rodion the other night reminded me.

Is there any chance the Leafs have applied to the NHL to get a compensatory pick from this situation?

I know because we signed him we wouldn't typically get one - but does the NHL really want to incentivize teams to avoid signing players in these situations going forward?

It wouldn't be a good look if a team takes a guy in the first/second round, then they get a major illness with a chance of recovering (and a chance of not recovering), and it's then in the teams best interest to avoid signing them because they will then likely receive a compensatory pick if something tragic happens.
I think if we had signed him after his diagnosis there might be more of a leg to stand on
Diagnosed with cancer, team takes the high ground and signs him anyway.

But we signed him before the diagnosis.
When we signed him it was if signing any other first rounder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad