2024 Draft Thread

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Lets get this baby fired up

I think this team is bad enough to definitely have a legit shot at winning the lottery which is very exciting.

Celebrini would be dope (goes without saying)

I like Berkly Catton alot too… putting up good numbers in the dub- 23 pts in 16 games. Could be our long lost #1 center

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - August 14th: "Catton’s a heady playmaker who uses spacing to his advantage and sees the ice at an advanced level, regularly executing quick plays through coverage or delaying into a pre-planned play. He’s got multi-dimensional skill, with an ability to play both with speed on the rush (he’s a smooth skater) and more slowly inside the offensive zone when the pace ramps down and he has to spin away from pressure (which he does so well)."

Peter Baracchini - The Hockey Writers - July 20th: "He has great offensive instincts and vision knowing where to be at all times. He has great straight-line speed to create separation, as well as the hands and skill to play in tight spaces. He’s extremely smart, playing a responsible two-way game and being a factor in all situations."

Jason Bukala - Sportsnet - July 6th: "Catton is an elusive, offensive talent who's difficult to defend in tight quarters. When he gets a step in transition, he’s a massive threat to create and score. Catton’s element is clear. He has the potential to be a top line scorer as a pro someday."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - July 5th: "He’s an excellent skater, displaying high-end edge work and quickness for the pro level. He combines that with very good hands and vision and a pass-first mentality.The only real knock on his game is his diminutive frame."

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - July 3rd: "He had a quiet, yet effective U-18 World Championship to cap the season off, showing a good mix of speed and skill. Catton is a hard worker with a solid payoff often due to his skill around the net. He might be the smartest prospect in the draft class."

Chris Peters - Flo Hockey - June 30th: "A highly-skilled player who put up 55 points as a 16-year-old in the WHL this year, Catton has a lot to like about his game. His ability to read plays and get pucks through traffic allowed him to excel immediately as a former No. 1 WHL pick."

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
At center -
Celebrini and Catton are the top prizes as of right now. They are both probably gone by #5. After that, there really isnt much id spend an early pick on. Mid 1st has some possible mid 6 talent.

At Defense -
Levshunov is a good size RHD with 9 points in 10 games in his freshman year. Mobile and good offense.

Silayev is a huge LHD getting minutes in the KHL and doing fine. Though this may turn into another Chistyakov thing.

Sam Dickinson is another good size LHD kindof like a larger Molendyk or maybe a better defense version of edmontons bouchard.

Wings -
Eiserman is a LW with high goalscoring ability. Not overly large at 5'11" but already NHL weight 192 lbs so he already has some muscle on him

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
At center -
Celebrini and Catton are the top prizes as of right now. They are both probably gone by #5. After that, there really isnt much id spend an early pick on. Mid 1st has some possible mid 6 talent.

At Defense -
Levshunov is a good size RHD with 9 points in 10 games in his freshman year. Mobile and good offense.

Silayev is a huge LHD getting minutes in the KHL and doing fine. Though this may turn into another Chistyakov thing.

Sam Dickinson is another good size LHD kindof like a larger Molendyk or maybe a better defense version of edmontons bouchard.

Wings -
Eiserman is a LW with high goalscoring ability. Not overly large at 5'11" but already NHL weight 192 lbs so he already has some muscle on him
I hear Silayev is ready to come over once he's drafted...think Pronman or Wheeler said this

If we can't get a Center or Eiserman, I suppose we get one of the several quality D prospects

I have a feeling Trotz will start gutting this team if we don't improve by Christmas which will hopefully cement our position as a bottom 3-6 team in the league

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Celebrini and Eiserman are the clear top-two in my books. Catton still has some way to go make his way into the top-five, as there are question marks if he even is a center at the NHL-level.

The defensemen are intriguing in this draft. I like Levshunov the most, a big kid with good offensive upside. You can teach him defense.

Dickinson would be a fantastic pick as well. Has played a big role with the London Knights as an under-ager, which is nothing to scoff at. Very good defenseman overall, a clear top-pair potential.

Carter Yakemchuk is one I'm keeping my eye on as well. Big, rangy defenseman who skates well for his size, has offensive upside and compete for days. Ultimately, I think he's the type of guy who will rise in the draft.

I like Helenius in this class as well. Playing big minutes in Liiga against men, and is over 0.5 PPG. He's the type of center future NHL will be filled with, and might just be the guy we've been looking for. Great skater, very skilled and slick in tight spaces. Good vision and crafty playmaker.

Michael Brandsegg-Nygård is an interesting one, I'm not too high on him as I think we have his type of players already in the pipeline. If we're drafting high in the draft, we need to go after the premium positions, and not wingers. Well, unless Eiserman is available.

Not high on the Russians, Demidov and Silayev. Demidov has barely played this year, yes, he torched the MHL last year but he's still too much of a wild card for me to be in the top-five. Silayev, while started red-hot, has cooled off since and isn't nearly dynamic enough to get me hyped up as a top-ten, let alone top-five pick.

So, for me it's:

1. Celebrini

2. Eiserman
3. Levshunov

4. Dickinson

5. Catton
6. Helenius
7. Demidov

8. Yakemchuk

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I hear Silayev is ready to come over once he's drafted...think Pronman or Wheeler said this

If we can't get a Center or Eiserman, I suppose we get one of the several quality D prospects

I have a feeling Trotz will start gutting this team if we don't improve by Christmas which will hopefully cement our position as a bottom 3-6 team in the league

Yeh once you get past Celebrini and Eiserman it is basically draft best player in position of need. Catton and Levshunov are my next choices. A bigish rhd would be be a good choice to go with our smaller LHD Molendyk

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
When you're looking at the standings, there's not many teams "tanking" this year. San Jose is an obvious one, and I think Chicago will come down to Earth at some point. But other than that, in the West basically all the other teams are trying to compete.

Over in the East, the situation is pretty much the same. Montreal I think will falter and Columbus seems to be sucking again.

On a unrelated note, if we're picking closer to 10 than 5, one player I'm keeping an eye on is Trevor Connolly.

6-1 center from the USHL, putting up good numbers there on an average team. Reminds me of a bit bigger Logan Cooley, although not as dynamic probably.

Would be a solid pick at the 8-10 range, I think.

Last edited:

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
ya he’d be a great option if we get a 2nd 1st also , putting up great numbers in the USHL

Pronman also has him rated “as a middle of the lineup player” but i have a feeling he is not going to be given the benefit of the doubt due to some immature off ice stuff that he has been accused of

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
well things have certainly changed since I gave birth to this thread

Per mynhldraft we are taking Igor Cherynshov

here is what the people have to say about him

Hadi Kalakeche - Dobber Prospects - November 18th: "When he can’t out-muscle and out-speed his opponents, he has shown some glimpses of an off-puck game that helps him support his teammates’ routes. He tracks back, finds his check, and sticks to him."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - November 15th: "Attacks the game with pace and power. Competes hard hard on all areas of the ice."

Steven Ellis - Daily Faceoff - November 8th: "He’s big and isn’t afraid to land hits. For a nearly 200-pound winger, Chernyshov moves well, with and without the puck. Few European pro players Chernyshov’s age can beat defenders in 1-on-1 situations like he can."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - November 8th: "He’s a big, strong winger and power-forward type who plays a straight-line game and has the individual skill and quick release to go at defenders and make plays off the rush, or finish from the slot with a quick, one-touch shot in zone. He’s a smooth skater, too, which complements his impressive rush game."

Corey Pronman - The Athletic - November 1st: "He’s a big, powerful winger who skates well and has a lot of offensive creativity. He beats defenders routinely with his one-on-one plays, sees the ice well, and can create at the net. He has the ability to control play at even strength due to his variety of tools."

I would be cool with him, we are still kind of thing at LW with Reid Schaefer or Nilsson as our top guys at the position

Other guys I find compelling:

Trevor Connelly: Maybe our future #1 center , should be available where we draft , putting up good numbers in USHL. Big fan of this kid

Michael BrandseggNygaard - Even though we are stacked at RW i like his game and upside

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Do we have any of the Lightnings picks this year? Might end up better than we originally imagined.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
That 1st rounder in 2025 is looking a lot more interesting too. It's top ten protected but if we could get a pick in the mid teens even that would be a nice little bonus.

Reactions: PredsV82

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
That 1st rounder in 2025 is looking a lot more interesting too. It's top ten protected but if we could get a pick in the mid teens even that would be a nice little bonus.
They traded this year's 1st to Chicago and it's also top 10 protected. Wonder what happens to the pick they traded the Preds if they fall off this year and are in the top 10.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
They traded this year's 1st to Chicago and it's also top 10 protected. Wonder what happens to the pick they traded the Preds if they fall off this year and are in the top 10.
I think we came to the conclusion the the protection goes away if you don't have a first rounder in the next draft.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think we came to the conclusion the the protection goes away if you don't have a first rounder in the next draft.
We sure as hell don't want Chicago getting another top 10 pick, Holy shit. They are gonna probably have a top 3 with their own pick as it is

Reactions: Kat Predator

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I feel like it's still too early to really get engaged in talking about our pick. For a while there we were convinced it might be a top-5 pick. Then things lit on fire. But I'm sure at some point there will be another cold spell too. End of the day, who knows where we'll pick. It could be anything from like #8-20. There is such a difference in value between the extrema of that range that it's not really very relevant to dig in on who exactly we might pick.

That said, a thread like this can still have value in talking about all kinds of players within that range in a very general sense... knowing more about this year's prospects is always fun. But I'm not very interested in trying to tie that discussion into who we should actually be planning to pick, yet.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I wonder if this might be the year we take a big RHD in the first round. Someone like Charlie Elick, Henry Mews, Carter Yakemchuk, or Adam Jiricek. Mews isnt big but has alot of compete.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
One player that has really impressed me during the WJC is LHD Zeev Buium.

Smooth skater, takes some risks with the puck but usually comes through with them and clearly has good offensive insticts. He has some bite to his game which makes him a good defender also.

Zeev Buium at eliteprospects.com

Buium is now ranked 18th on the consolidated ranking which is probably where he will go as a "mere" 6-0 defenseman. The bigger guys tend to go sooner.

Could be a solid pick around where we're picking. Molendyk-Buium as a future LHD core doesn't sound too shabby.

I wonder if this might be the year we take a big RHD in the first round. Someone like Charlie Elick, Henry Mews, Carter Yakemchuk, or Adam Jiricek. Mews isnt big but has alot of compete.

Wouldn't mind Yakemchuk. Mews is too similar to Molendyk, smallish and nothing special offensively. I'd pass on him.

Jiricek is a wild card, hasn't played much this year and is already out for the season. Will probably fall in the draft. If he's anything like his brother he could be a good pick around where we're picking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad