Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Wow. I don't think I have ever disagreed with a post more strongly. No offense, I respect your opinion, but I couldn't stand Phil Housely.
Not a fan of his either. I never understood why they called him a defenseman and not just a rover. He could put up some serious offense though, and seem to know where everyone was. That’s why I think him and Parekh are very much alike. Parekh doesn’t skate like Housely did though. That’s one reason why I think Parekh may have a flop factor.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not a fan of his either. I never understood why they called him a defenseman and not just a rover. He could put up some serious offense though, and seem to know where everyone was. That’s why I think him and Parekh are very much alike.
Thankfully we were able to flip him for Mac bc I couldn’t stand him. I still remember housley repeatedly turning the puck over to modano in slot the one playoffs we had him for.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Looks like helenius may play both u18s and Worlds.

I know there are guys who just got eliminated in CHL playoffs, but I’m hoping they add ushl guys. Want to see boisvert and hage in this tourney more than remaining CHL guys.
I think Helenius is underrated. But want to see more if him. Catton too but unfortunately he won’t be playing in the U18s.

Would also like to see those two added to Canada’s roster. And/or Iginla.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I think Helenius is underrated. But want to see more if him. Catton too but unfortunately he won’t be playing in the U18s.

Would also like to see those two added to Canada’s roster. And/or Iginla.
My understanding is Catton is hurt and has played hurt for awhile. Helenius is/was going to play for team Finland at the pro level international tourney. I would like to see him play too along with a couple of the other Finn prospects.

Thankfully we were able to flip him for Mac bc I couldn’t stand him. I still remember housley repeatedly turning the puck over to modano in slot the one playoffs we had him for.
That trade for MacInnis was Highway robbery

Reactions: Blueston

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
Didn't we trade Nelson Emerson to get Housley? I'm not sure I remember that right, but I do remember Emerson was very unhappy with it...and, it turns out, the Blues were unhappy with Housley! So glad we flipped him for Mac!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Didn't we trade Nelson Emerson to get Housley? I'm not sure I remember that right, but I do remember Emerson was very unhappy with it...and, it turns out, the Blues were unhappy with Housley! So glad we flipped him for Mac!
yep. emerson and quintal for housley. housley wasn't particularly good for us, but the trade for him was a good one and the trade of him even better.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I'm trying to look for interesting players to draft round 4 and higher. I'm mostly looking for guys who are overlooked because they're buried in the line up, play in an obscure competition or are just barely old enough to be drafted (for ex. August and 1-15 September birthdays) and thus have some more room to grow.

These players look interesting for a 4th round + later gamble.
Rhys Pederson - 6'4" Lefthanded Defender (WHL)
Timur Kol - 6'3" Lefthanded Defender (VHL)
Luke Osburn - 6'0" Lefthanded Defender (USHL)
Samuel Kupec - 6'3" Lefthanded Defender (Slovakia)
Gabe Smith - 6'4" Lefthanded Center (QMJHL)
Alexander Siryatsky - 6'2" Lefthanded Defender (MHL)
Darels Uljanskis - 6'2" Lefthanded Defender (SWE-JR)

Also trying to find some info on these players, but it's hard to find any:
Viggo Gustafsson - 6'2" Lefthanded Defender (SWE-JR)
Charles Hilton - 6'5" Lefthanded Forward (OHL)
Stepan Gorbunov - 6'5" Lefthanded Forward (MHL)

Last year I had Tanner Adams on my list and I would gladly have picked him in the 4th over Stancl, however, he went undrafted for some reason. He had a good freshman year this season, playing for Providence in the NCAA. Some team will certainly pick him as a 'young' overager (early september birthday).

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
I'm trying to look for interesting players to draft round 4 and higher. I'm mostly looking for guys who are overlooked because they're buried in the line up, play in an obscure competition or are just barely old enough to be drafted (for ex. August and 1-15 September birthdays) and thus have some more room to grow.

These players look interesting for a 4th round + later gamble.
Rhys Pederson - 6'4" Lefthanded Defender (WHL)
Timur Kol - 6'3" Lefthanded Defender (VHL)
Luke Osburn - 6'0" Lefthanded Defender (USHL)
Samuel Kupec - 6'3" Lefthanded Defender (Slovenia)
Gabe Smith - 6'4" Lefthanded Center (QMJHL)
Alexander Siryatsky - 6'2" Lefthanded Defender (MHL)
Darels Uljanskis - 6'2" Lefthanded Defender (SWE-JR)

Also trying to find some info on these players, but it's hard to find any:
Viggo Gustafsson - 6'2" Lefthanded Defender (SWE-JR)
Charles Hilton - 6'5" Lefthanded Forward (OHL)
Stepan Gorbunov - 6'5" Lefthanded Forward (MHL)

Last year I had Tanner Adams on my list and I would gladly have picked him in the 4th over Stancl, however, he went undrafted for some reason. He had a good freshman year this season, playing for Providence in the NCAA. Some team will certainly pick him as a 'young' overager (early september birthday).
Nice work! If you can't find info on players, I've asked around in the prospects board. Those folks are generally knowledgeable and happy to talk about those players.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Looks like helenius may play both u18s and Worlds.

I know there are guys who just got eliminated in CHL playoffs, but I’m hoping they add ushl guys. Want to see boisvert and hage in this tourney more than remaining CHL guys.
No Iginla, Hage or Boisvert.

Canadians eligible by age that won’t be attending:

Celebrini, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Hage, Boisvert, Sennecke, Parascak etc.

Yes, I know some have good reasons. Just noting how much talent will be missing.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
No Iginla, Hage or Boisvert.

Canadians eligible by age that won’t be attending:

Celebrini, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Hage, Boisvert, Sennecke, Parascak etc.

Yes, I know some have good reasons. Just noting how much talent will be missing.

i think dickinson, parekh, sennecke, and parascak all have good excuses as their jr season is ongiong. celebrini seems to have graduated and lindstrom and catton are apparently hurt-ish. anyone hear word why inginla, boisvert, and hage ain't going? were they not picked or did they elect not to play?

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Nice work! If you can't find info on players, I've asked around in the prospects board. Those folks are generally knowledgeable and happy to talk about those players.

Yeah, sometimes I try keeping up with the prospect section. There are a coupe of posters there whom's insight I really appreciate like, for example, Brock Otten and German Spitfire, who are both amateur scouts for McKeen, scoutman1 (I believe he scouted for a team in the Q), Caser, etc.

From our own forum I really appreciate the work Blueston and, especially, PerryTurnbullfan are putting into knowing the prospects. With a HM for DatDude44 who doesn't post a lot in the prospect section, but when he does it's often very interesting.

The OHL section is also usefull to get a pulse what fans of a specific team think of a certain player. It's a shame that the WHL and QMJHL sections are dead in comparison.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
i think dickinson, parekh, sennecke, and parascak all have good excuses as their jr season is ongiong. celebrini seems to have graduated and lindstrom and catton are apparently hurt-ish. anyone hear word why inginla, boisvert, and hage ain't going? were they not picked or did they elect not to play?
Boisvert is still in the playoffs. IGINLA been on fire in the playoffs. I think it’s nine goals in 12 games or something like that.

Boisvert is an Arnott as a Blue slow skater. I’ve watched two Playoff games and he and Gridin are not very swift a foot Everything else is great but that’s a risk hoping he can become adequate to average.

Last edited:

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Yeah, sometimes I try keeping up with the prospect section. There are a coupe of posters there whom's insight I really appreciate like, for example, Brock Otten and German Spitfire, who are both amateur scouts for McKeen, scoutman1 (I believe he scouted for a team in the Q), Caser, etc.

From our own forum I really appreciate the work Blueston and, especially, PerryTurnbullfan are putting into knowing the prospects. With a HM for DatDude44 who doesn't post a lot in the prospect section, but when he does it's often very interesting.

The OHL section is also usefull to get a pulse what fans of a specific team think of a certain player. It's a shame that the WHL and QMJHL sections are dead in comparison.
Kind words and thank you. Obviously, you are doing your homework as well. Here is my most updated spreadsheet with various draft rankings (known, not so known and obscure. always look for more) that I came across that linked me to more players to research. At the beginning, I have my rankings which are done by C,W, and D divided in left and right hand shot. As you work your way across the spreadsheet, you can see how they ranked last year, preseason, early season divided in several groups.

Attachments

• NHL Draft 2024 (version 1).xlsb.xlsx
    254.3 KB · Views: 4

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Boisvert is still in the playoffs. IGINLA been on fire in the playoffs. I think it’s nine goals in 12 games or something like that.

Boisvert is an Arnott as a Blue slow skater. I’ve watched two Playoff games and he and Gridin are not very swift a foot Everything else is great but that’s a risk hoping he can become adequate to average.
i thought since ushl prides itself on being development league its players were generally released for u18s. chicago let celebrini go last year. was boisvert not released?

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
i thought since ushl prides itself on being development league its players were generally released for u18s. chicago let celebrini go last year. was boisvert not released?
I have no idea, but they are in the playoffs. Was it his decision to stay and help his team? I don't know. I will look into it and see what I can find.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
IGINLA just added

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This is from a few days ago but I just noticed - Trevor Connelly added to the US roster.

As far as the draft goes, Connelly will be an interesting case study. Based on talent, he’s pretty easily a top 10-15 talent. But man does he have some character concerns teams are going to have to sift through.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Draft Prospects hockey just updated its simulator.

I've played with the simulator a couple of times and discovered a pattern.
So we've got 9 picks and I decide to take BPA everytime. Usually at the end of the draft I would've taken like 2 forwards, a righthanded defenseman and frickin' 6 lefthanded defensemen.

Doing it again:
5 lefthanded defensemen.

And again:
6 lefthanded defensemen.

Guess if this was real life the Blues would have an abundance of left handed defensemen next year...

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I've played with the simulator a couple of times and discovered a pattern.
So we've got 9 picks and I decide to take BPA everytime. Usually at the end of the draft I would've taken like 2 forwards, a righthanded defenseman and frickin' 6 lefthanded defensemen.

Doing it again:
5 lefthanded defensemen.

And again:
6 lefthanded defensemen.

Guess if this was real life the Blues would have an abundance of left handed defensemen next year...
I personally think it’s BPA divided by category.

Eiserman with the pointless Hattie….

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Draft Prospects hockey just updated its simulator.
Finally got around to playing around with this.

I restocked left defense:
DC492B54-1783-49A8-9DB1-EC8622B71EE8.png

:laugh:

Attachments

• 07C9B32F-41CE-4EE8-9E3B-B0F09D65B4F5.png
    07C9B32F-41CE-4EE8-9E3B-B0F09D65B4F5.png
    378.6 KB · Views: 1

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wonder if we can use our 2nds or other trade chips to trade up for someone like Buium.

That feels like the realistic best-case scenario?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad