Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I’m surprised Elite Prospects hasn’t incorporated one in their product offerings with all the rankings they already have access to, extensive player profiles, and just charge for the tool. I would pay extra for it.

I agree. Seems like a missed opportunity for them.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Really not a fan of Brandsegg-Nygard from what I saw of him at the U-20, so seeing him at 16 in any mock is concerning to me. I just didn't see anything about his game that gave me confidence that he would ever make it to the NHL.

From what I've read from other posters (thanks, by the way, to everyone who has contributed to the discussion) if we keep the pick, I'd much rather reach for one of the centers like Hage or Boisvert, even if we don't see them as centers at the NHL level. I really don't want anything to do with any of the defensemen projected in our range either.

Personally, I'd love to see an opportunity to package our first (given that it is almost certainly going to be in the 15-18 range with 16 being the most likely) for an ascending young defenseman with a couple of years of team control and is in the NHL or expected to be NHL ready by 2025-2026. Braden Schneider is an example of a guy I would be targeting with that pick (obviously with a +) if the Rags decided they couldn't keep both him and Lindgren.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Here are my updated rankings. Some really nice wingers should be on board when we pick. Whether there will be a center or defenseman worth the pick is unclear. Feel like there is reasonable chance that Hage or Boisvert are there, even if there isn't a worthy d. Eager to see how the d look at u18s, particularly Freij.
  1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Dickinson
  4. Levshunov
  5. Silayev
  6. Helenius
  7. Lindstrom
  8. Buium
  9. Eiserman
  10. Catton
  11. Iginla
  12. Parekh
  13. Hage
  14. Greentree
  15. Yakemchuk
  16. Boisvert
  17. Sennecke
  18. Brandsegg-Nygard
  19. Chernyshov
  20. Freij
  21. Hemming
  22. Emery
  23. Surin
  24. Elick
  25. Luchenko
  26. Jiricek
  27. Parascak
  28. Mews
  29. Stiga
  30. Gill
  31. Connelly
  32. Miettinen
  33. Badinka
  34. Pulkkinen
  35. Basha
  36. O’Reilly
  37. Stolberg
  38. Fischer
  39. Kleber
  40. Masse
  41. Brunicke
  42. Artamonov
  43. Bednarik
  44. T Smith
  45. Beaudoin
  46. Petterson
  47. Vanacker
  48. Ritchie
  49. Gridin
  50. LSW

Damian Frerker

Jun 17, 2021
Here are my updated rankings. Some really nice wingers should be on board when we pick. Whether there will be a center or defenseman worth the pick is unclear. Feel like there is reasonable chance that Hage or Boisvert are there, even if there isn't a worthy d. Eager to see how the d look at u18s, particularly Freij.
  1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Dickinson
  4. Levshunov
  5. Silayev
  6. Helenius
  7. Lindstrom
  8. Buium
  9. Eiserman
  10. Catton
  11. Iginla
  12. Parekh
  13. Hage
  14. Greentree
  15. Yakemchuk
  16. Boisvert
  17. Sennecke
  18. Brandsegg-Nygard
  19. Chernyshov
  20. Freij
  21. Hemming
  22. Emery
  23. Surin
  24. Elick
  25. Luchenko
  26. Jiricek
  27. Parascak
  28. Mews
  29. Stiga
  30. Gill
  31. Connelly
  32. Miettinen
  33. Badinka
  34. Pulkkinen
  35. Basha
  36. O’Reilly
  37. Stolberg
  38. Fischer
  39. Kleber
  40. Masse
  41. Brunicke
  42. Artamonov
  43. Bednarik
  44. T Smith
  45. Beaudoin
  46. Petterson
  47. Vanacker
  48. Ritchie
  49. Gridin
  50. LSW
the guys you have 13-16 is who i’ve been researching. Yakemchuk, the one thing i like is several reports say he’s “ mean” and boy we could use that. appreciate all the info you guys bring👍

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
does yakemchuk have top 4 potential?
He has the size and offensive skills to be 1D. His skating isn’t great and his defensive game is a mess. If he can clean those up he couid be stud. If not, he could still be top 4 guy but one who gives away as much as he creates. Dion Phaneuf has been mentioned as comp, and I don’t know if that is good or bad outcome but I think that is kinda the point.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Honestly looking at John Mustard and Aatos Koivu for one of our second-round picks, even with our need for defensemen.

Mustard is a left wing, but I love his skating, goal-scoring (really good sniper in the USHL; yeah, I'd go USHL with my draft board with Hage and Mustard.), he has good size (6'0" 185 lbs. already), and he's one of the youngest players in this class (won't turn eighteen until August). Really love this kid, and he's rated around where our first second-round pick is.

Koivu is a 200-foot playmaker who will stay at center. He plays a very mature game like his dad (Saku), has eyes all around him like Argus of the Greek myths; really sees the play around him and makes smart plays with the puck, hesitant to shoot but has a very decent shot. Reminds me of Thomas-lite. Possibly could be had with an early third, but I don't even want to risk it; he's going to be a riser.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I want a couple mean mofo’s who play a 2 way game with our 2nds. I want some more toughness in the lineup.
we have drafted guys like that recently, just not ready yet. loof, mayich, burns all have mean streak on back end, while peterson, stenberg, pekarcik, and stancl ain't gonna back down from anyone up front. we have pretty nice mix of skill and snarl on the way. need some of the higher skilled guys (dvo and bolduc and lindstein and buchinger, for example) to really hit (or this year's picks could do it too) to give us all of what we need, but our prospect pool is coming along quite nicely. just need to be patient.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
  1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Dickinson
  4. Levshunov
  5. Silayev
  6. Helenius
  7. Lindstrom
  8. Buium
  9. Eiserman
  10. Catton
  11. Iginla
  12. Parekh
  13. Hage
  14. Greentree
  15. Yakemchuk
  16. Boisvert
  17. Sennecke
  18. Brandsegg-Nygard
  19. Chernyshov
  20. Freij
  21. Hemming
  22. Emery
  23. Surin
  24. Elick
  25. Luchenko
  26. Jiricek
  27. Parascak
  28. Mews
  29. Stiga
  30. Gill
  31. Connelly
  32. Miettinen
  33. Badinka
  34. Pulkkinen
  35. Basha
  36. O’Reilly
  37. Stolberg
  38. Fischer
  39. Kleber
  40. Masse
  41. Brunicke
  42. Artamonov
  43. Bednarik
  44. T Smith
  45. Beaudoin
  46. Petterson
  47. Vanacker
  48. Ritchie
  49. Gridin
  50. LSW
I see you have Jiricek down at #26 do see him as being too much of a risk?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He has the size and offensive skills to be 1D. His skating isn’t great and his defensive game is a mess. If he can clean those up he couid be stud. If not, he could still be top 4 guy but one who gives away as much as he creates. Dion Phaneuf has been mentioned as comp, and I don’t know if that is good or bad outcome but I think that is kinda the point.
And really one of the lessons to learn if Yakemchuk does hit his potential and becomes of Phaneuf or to use a current player, maybe an Evan Bouchard, it's important not to see the offensive numbers, minutes played, and their size and then force them into a #1 D role. Those players are designed to play heavy minutes, but heavy offensive minutes, and have another pair carry the defensive load. That's one of the reasons Phaneuf's reputation went bad because Toronto didn't use him properly.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I see you have Jiricek down at #26 do see him as being too much of a risk?
Yes. He struggled early this year playing against men, and then got hurt missing key development time. He is inconsistent too, showing flashes of brilliance and then complete brain fart. None of which means he can't live up to his potential, which is immense, but the risk with him is I think high. I get David Rundberg vibes with him. So all that went into putting him lower than many have him.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'm going to divide mine differently. I have them in six different categories but haven't sorted them to a rank yet. I have them in right shot and left shot divided. Then Centers, wingers, and d separate

Helenius, Konsta
1​
Hage, Michael
2​
Letourneau, Dean
3​
Marques, Miguel
4​
Zether, Simon
5​
O'Reilly, Sam
6​
Romani, Anthony
7​
Koivu, Aatos
8​
Svensson, Joel
9​
Maistrenko, Oleg
10​
Humphreys, Christian
11​
Patterson, Riley
12​

Celebrini, Macklin
1​
Lindstrom, Caden
2​
Catton, Berkly
3​
Boisvert, Sasha
4​
Pettersson, Lucas
5​
Misa, Luke
6​
Surin, Yegor
7​
Ericksson, Linus
8​
Mustard, John
9​
Vuollet, Oskar
10​
Miettinen, Julius
11​
Beaudoin, Cole
12​
Howe, Tanner
13​
Villeneuve, Nathan
14​
Boilard, Raoul
15​
Bednarik, Kamil
16​
Sjodin, Svante
17​
Sikora, Petr
18​

Demidov, Ivan
1​
iginla, Tij
2​
Greentree, Liam
3​
Eiserman, Cole
4​
Connelly, Trevor
5​
Artamonov, Nikita
6​
Vanacker, Marek
7​
Basha, Andrew
8​
Gridin, Matvei
9​
Battaglia, Jacob
10​
Berglund, Jack
11​
Sterner, Karl
12​
josephson, Ollie
13​
Caswell, Clarke
14​
He, Kevin
15​
Fisher, Jake
16​
Kos, Ondrej
17​
Stiga, Teddy
18​
Mateiko, Eriks
19​
Moore, Javon
20​

Brandsegg-Nygard, Michael
1​
Sennecke, Beckett
2​
Chernyshov, Igor
3​
Parascak, Terik
4​
Luchanko, Jett
5​
Ritchie, Ryder
6​
Hemming, Emil
7​
Wetsch, Carson
8​
Traff, Herman
9​
Masse, Maxim
10​
Fernstrom, Melvin
11​
Pikkarainen, Kasper
12​
Pridham, Jack
13​
Ziemer, Brodie
14​
Burrows, Hagen
15​
Danielsson, Liam
16​
Jecho, Adam
17​
Procyszyn, Ethan
18​

Dickinson, Sam
1​
Buium, Zeev
2​
Silayev, Anton
3​
Freij, Alfons
4​
Pulkkinen, Jesse
5​
Shuravin, Matvei
6​
Sahlin Wallenius, Leo
7​
Fischer, Lukas
8​
Smith, Tarin
9​
Skahan, Will
10​
Fransen, Noel
11​
Solberg, Stian
12​
Ustinkov, Daniil
13​
Kol, Timur
14​
Ralph, Colin
15​
Sjoqvist, Gustav
16​
Shokhrin, Roman
17​
Ashton, Luke
18​
Vaisenan, Veeti
19​
Muggli, Leon
20​
Fibigr, Jakub
21​
Uljanskis, Darels
22​
Burger, Eric
23​
Gustafsson, Viggo
24​
Nykyri, Niklas
25​

Levshunov, Artyom
1​
Parekh, Zayne
2​
Yakemchuk, Carter
3​
Badinka, Dominik
4​
Jiricek, Adam
5​
Elick, Charlie
5​
Emery, EJ
6​
Roberts, colton
7​
Marrelli, Luca
8​
Brunicke, Harrison
9​
Gill, Spencer
10​
Danford, Ben
11​
Kleber, Adam
12​
Mews, Henry
13​
Soini, Sebastian
14​
Rep, Ozbej
15​
Bodin, Jack
16​
Alcos, Parker
17​
Pitner, Tory
18​
Von Richter, Parker
19​
McIsaac, William
20​

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
  1. Celebrini
  2. Demidov
  3. Dickinson
  4. Levshunov
  5. Silayev
  6. Helenius
  7. Lindstrom
  8. Buium
  9. Eiserman
  10. Catton
  11. Iginla
  12. Parekh
  13. Hage
  14. Greentree
  15. Yakemchuk
  16. Boisvert
  17. Sennecke
  18. Brandsegg-Nygard
  19. Chernyshov
  20. Freij
  21. Hemming
  22. Emery
  23. Surin
  24. Elick
  25. Luchenko
  26. Jiricek
  27. Parascak
  28. Mews
  29. Stiga
  30. Gill
  31. Connelly
  32. Miettinen
  33. Badinka
  34. Pulkkinen
  35. Basha
  36. O’Reilly
  37. Stolberg
  38. Fischer
  39. Kleber
  40. Masse
  41. Brunicke
  42. Artamonov
  43. Bednarik
  44. T Smith
  45. Beaudoin
  46. Petterson
  47. Vanacker
  48. Ritchie
  49. Gridin
  50. LSW
good work! I can get on board with it

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I've watched some of Boisvert and Hage recently and right now I'd take Boisvert. Hage has nice tools, but I think Boisvert has a significant edge in hockey sense and physical skills. Will need to watch more of these guys still to fully evaluate. Would be interested in others thoughts on these two as they are both USHL centers so should be a pretty straightforward comparison.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I've watched some of Boisvert and Hage recently and right now I'd take Boisvert. Hage has nice tools, but I think Boisvert has a significant edge in hockey sense and physical skills. Will need to watch more of these guys still to fully evaluate. Would be interested in others thoughts on these two as they are both USHL centers so should be a pretty straightforward comparison.
My only problem with Boisvert is he’s an average skater at the USHL level. If he can improve in college, then yes he may have him. Hage is already above average on tools, but smaller overall. Sacha’s shooting tools are better and better using his backhand. Like you said his vision is very good.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
My only problem with Boisvert is he’s an average skater at the USHL level. If he can improve in college, then yes he may have him. Hage is already above average on tools, but smaller overall. Sacha’s shooting tools are better and better using his backhand. Like you said his vision is very good.
The skating isn't a strength, but I don't see it as a big hinderance for him either. His top speed is pretty good and he has the size and skill to make it difficult to check him even if a player can outskate him.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
The skating isn't a strength, but I don't see it as a big hinderance for him either. His top speed is pretty good and he has the size and skill to make it difficult to check him even if a player can outskate him.
I see it as a potential Backes type situation. Excellent college program could help him address his details.

Reactions: LGB

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I’m down. But at 178 lbs, does he have the frame to add weight to his 6’2 body?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ferrari came out with the new ranking today and central scouting is supposed to come out tomorrow as their final.
Ferrari's ranking he released today are wild. Huge discrepancy from most of the others. Doesn't mean he is wrong, but he projects some guys available for us (Helenius, Parekh, Yak, and Eiserman, along with both the USHL centers) that I wouldn't otherwise expect to all be there and would be quite interesting options to consider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad