Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would be very surprised if these changes take effect any time soon, if at all, as NCAA coaches and AD's are passionately against the idea. But to your point, there would definitely be a talent drain in the USHL if the cream of the crop 16-18 yr old American players can venture to the CHL w/out repercussions of NCAA eligibility.
And Canadian kids like Celebrini, Schwartz, Hage, Boisvert, Fantilli, Power etc that go to the USHL because they want to go the US college route would disappear too.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
The Athletic had a nice article on Hage today - kid lost his father in a tragic accident about a year ago, right after he got back on the ice from major shoulder surgery that cost him the better part of his season. I'm kinda turning into a big Hage fan after reading up on him a bit.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
And Canadian kids like Celebrini, Schwartz, Hage, Boisvert, Fantilli, Power etc that go to the USHL because they want to go the US college route would disappear too.
Right. I remember specifically how hard Windsor was trying to get Jordan Schmaltz to come to the OHL after he had a very impressive yr in Sioux City in 2010-11. The sales pitch is always that playing in the CHL will improve your draft stock. 2012 was his draft yr. I personally don't see how the new system would benefit player development. I think both avenues are working fine.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Right. I remember specifically how hard Windsor was trying to get Jordan Schmaltz to come to the OHL after he had a very impressive yr in Sioux City in 2010-11. The sales pitch is always that playing in the CHL will improve your draft stock. 2012 was his draft yr. I personally don't see how the new system would benefit player development. I think both avenues are working fine.
any new system would be about taking money from someone else to put in the new systems pockets

Reactions: stlwahoo

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Feels like the devil is in the details. If CHL players are only eligible to play in ncaa after they exhaust chl eligibility, I don’t think that will keep elite guys from ushl if chl route means they can’t olay college until age 20. On the other hand, if chl guys are eligible to play ncaa at any point, that would likely keep most all top Canadian guys out of ushl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueswin

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
The Athletic had a nice article on Hage today - kid lost his father in a tragic accident about a year ago, right after he got back on the ice from major shoulder surgery that cost him the better part of his season. I'm kinda turning into a big Hage fan after reading up on him a bit.

Fate almighty, let him be the guy we take in the first. I think he could be that elite superstar player. I want the best player available, and I truly believe that's Hage.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I would wait till after the U18s. I think you’re going to see several European players take a significant jump. Many of the resources that we read don’t spend a whole lotta time over there they will even admit that. I think you will see several players all of a sudden move up kind of like Willander did last year. You can easily argue that Greentree will be the best player available, I don’t think he will be the best asset available.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Smaht came out with a new list that is rather bold and interesting. If you don’t following them on twitter or otherwise, then they don’t seem to be influenced as much by other polls. Something I like. Putting them on spreadsheet they all seem to fall pretty well in line with each other. Is it scouts see the same thing or they just bullsh*t their rankings off of other rankings?

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Smaht came out with a new list that is rather bold and interesting. If you don’t following them on twitter or otherwise, then they don’t seem to be influenced as much by other polls. Something I like. Putting them on spreadsheet they all seem to fall pretty well in line with each other. Is it scouts see the same thing or they just bullsh*t their rankings off of other rankings?
People are cowards, if everyone toes the same line it provides cover for being wrong

Reactions: Celtic Note

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I saw that elite prospects did a mock draft and had the blues, picking greentree and the first round with Henry Mews in the second along with Ryerson Leander’s. I can’t say I would be very pleased with that start.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I saw that elite prospects did a mock draft and had the blues, picking greentree and the first round with Henry Mews in the second along with Ryerson Leander’s. I can’t say I would be very pleased with that start.

I'm very lukewarm on Greentree. Mews I wouldn't mind that late, but I think we can do better. I do think there is a dropoff with that Toronto 2nd, and we should try to move up with it. The difference between the top 12 in round 2 and the bottom 12 in round 2 is way more than the price to move up should be.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Surely this year there will be teams who either want to move up or move down in the draft. I'd like to think that if a player we wanted was available just a few picks before ours, then we'd do our best to trade up. Same goes for if we aren't ecstatic about the guys left at 14 or wherever we'll end up. It would make sense to move to 17-19 and recoup a 2nd or something and get our guy.

I highly doubt the second scenario would happen at this stage of the Blues scouting and with their pick being in the low teens, but it would likely have happened if we were picking in the early to mid 20s.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Their picks for us are garbage, but if you look at who they project as available with our picks some intriguing options. Couid do Hage or Boisvert, Mews or Badinka, and then Kleber or T Smith. That would be an exciting draft.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
If I could walk out of the draft with Freij, Badinka, and Roberts,, I would be ecstatic. I would pick my center in the third round being Linus Erickson. Don’t mind the spelling. He’s floating under the radar, but use a strong two-way center. That’s an excellent playmaker already playing in the SHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drubilly

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If I could walk out of the draft with Freij, Badinka, and Roberts,, I would be ecstatic. I would pick my center in the third round being Linus Erickson. Don’t mind the spelling. He’s floating under the radar, but use a strong two-way center. That’s an excellent playmaker already playing in the SHL.
He’s playing in the Allsvenskan not SHL but still, playing pro hockey at 17.

I was able to just do this mock:
1BB01B5A-4053-439B-BEC3-D13B506BD60A.png

Not too realistic as I don’t think a lot of these guys will be available at those spots but who knows.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He’s playing in the Allsvenskan not SHL but still, playing pro hockey at 17.

I was able to just do this mock:
View attachment 849434

Not too realistic as I don’t think a lot of these guys will be available at those spots but who knows.
That’s my frustration with the side too as the order is unrealistic. If I recall Kayden Lindstrom‘s like 100 or something, I’m surprised you didn’t pick him ha ha

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I’m surprised you didn’t grab Lindstrom as late as he sits on there. Ha ha yeah a little frustrated with the mock simulators as they’re not realistic. Outstanding draft though I really like Fischer and Paulson. Both have look very good in the USHL. I like Michael Hage, but I’m not convinced he will stay at center. I’ve actually watched him a lot lately and wonder whether or not college will tell him to be an NHL number two center. The scales are definitely there. I also see a lot of Zach Bolduc in him when he had more of a complete game commitment.

I couldn’t remember if it was SHL or the other league I knew he moved to a pro league though and was playing a lot of minutes and is known for his defensive commitment even at the pro level.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I’m surprised you didn’t grab Lindstrom as late as he sits on there. Ha ha yeah a little frustrated with the mock simulators as they’re not realistic. Outstanding draft though I really like Fischer and Paulson. Both have look very good in the USHL. I like Michael Hage, but I’m not convinced he will stay at center. I’ve actually watched him a lot lately and wonder whether or not college will tell him to be an NHL number two center. The scales are definitely there. I also see a lot of Zach Bolduc in him when he had more of a complete game commitment.

I couldn’t remember if it was SHL or the other league I knew he moved to a pro league though and was playing a lot of minutes and is known for his defensive commitment even at the pro level.
Looks like that site had Lindstrom ranked 7th, which seems fair.

But yeah, they’re wholly unrealistic unfortunately.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Looks like that site had Lindstrom ranked 7th, which seems fair.

But yeah, they’re wholly unrealistic unfortunately.
I'm thinking of Draft Prospects Hockey Simulator. They have kiviharju at 4 Lindstrom 80 Freij at 146 Misa 91 Basha 71. Sorry I struggle with responses on my cell phone.

Another interesting choice was Romani. He has looked pretty good this year. I also think Misskey, Sjodin, and Svensson have had strong seasons as reentry players that deserve a strong look.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I'm thinking of Draft Prospects Hockey Simulator. They have kiviharju at 4 Lindstrom 80 Freij at 146 Misa 91 Basha 71. Sorry I struggle with responses on my cell phone.

Another interesting choice was Romani. He has looked pretty good this year. I also think Misskey, Sjodin, and Svensson have had strong seasons as reentry players that deserve a strong look.

In defense of them, their simulator is running an old 2024 ranking from before this season even started. They're late this year with updating their database. Their latest ranking from March still has some hot takes, but it looks a lot more what you would expect.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
In defense of them, their simulator is running an old 2024 ranking from before this season even started. They're late this year with updating their database. Their latest ranking from March still has some hot takes, but it looks a lot more what you would expect.
I’m surprised Elite Prospects hasn’t incorporated one in their product offerings with all the rankings they already have access to, extensive player profiles, and just charge for the tool. I would pay extra for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad