2024 Draft Discussion

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The middle of the first (and beyond) is largely the same year-to-year. I don't expect the offering at 14 or 15 to be materially different next year for example.
Eh. I think the forwards that went in the 10-30 range last year were of a decent amount higher quality than what we will have this year.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Eh. I think the forwards that went in the 10-30 range last year were of a decent amount higher quality than what we will have this year.
My money says that when you look back 6 or 7 years from now they look pretty similar. You could be right though.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007

1713466671710.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_121321_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_121321_Instagram.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 1

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Are you willing to package it with Kasper or Danielson or Ed? True quality is always expensive.
Kasper, yes, if the acquired player is a significant addition who also fits the timeline. I'd prefer to dump multiple first rounders instead, but like you said, other teams will want more than just picks.

For example, what caliber of roster player could Detroit land if it was a 2024 first, a 2025 first, and Berggren? And how much does the needle move if Kasper is either substituted or added on top?

If Larkin is going to be part of this rebuild on the ice instead of via trade, the Wings need at least one major move to supplement the kids in the pipeline.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Maybe I’m looking at the wrong stuff, but the articles I’ve read lately, especially from the athletic, seem to say it’s an average class. Nothing like last years, but not horrible.
Last season Wood was talking #15
I keep thinking Sennecke seems like a guy they would like.

I worry that Iginla, MBN, and Greentree will all be off the board at 15. Those are the guys I really want.

I wonder if Konsta "The Monsta" Helenius could fall due to just okay size and skating.
Monsta might play for Finish national team

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Kasper, yes, if the acquired player is a significant addition who also fits the timeline. I'd prefer to dump multiple first rounders instead, but like you said, other teams will want more than just picks.

For example, what caliber of roster player could Detroit land if it was a 2024 first, a 2025 first, and Berggren? And how much does the needle move if Kasper is either substituted or added on top?

If Larkin is going to be part of this rebuild on the ice instead of via trade, the Wings need at least one major move to supplement the kids in the pipeline.

I agree that we need to use the trade market if we are going to make any hay during Larkin's career. I am not afraid to move the pick for current help, I am just skeptical that it has much value. Truthfully I have no idea what two firsts and Berggren return in a deal. I guess the first quest to ask is when was the last time that two first were moved together. I know it happens from time to time, I just can't remember when. The other question to ask is who is now clearly in decline who wasn't in obvious decline over the last two years. We need the right trade partner.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I keep thinking Sennecke seems like a guy they would like.

I worry that Iginla, MBN, and Greentree will all be off the board at 15. Those are the guys I really want.

I wonder if Konsta "The Monsta" Helenius could fall due to just okay size and skating.
I'd be very happy with Sennecke, I prefer him to greentree eiserman and helenius.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The other question to ask is who is now clearly in decline who wasn't in obvious decline over the last two years. We need the right trade partner.
Agreed. I'd think that a St Louis or a Calgary would fit that criteria now, with Tampa being a year or two away from it.

The Blues could take all the first rounders they like for Robert Thomas, but I don't see him being for sale at any price.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Agreed. I'd think that a St Louis or a Calgary would fit that criteria now, with Tampa being a year or two away from it.

The Blues could take all the first rounders they like for Robert Thomas, but I don't see him being for sale at any price.
STL is a good call, but I think they may need a season or two of convincing to realize they need to take it apart. Thomas, however, would be a great target. I feel like Calgary has already been striped down and has nothing too exciting left.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
My draft strategy is in trouble. My first choice is Nygard. I really think he’s gone around 12-13 however. My fall back guy was Iginla. I think he’s going to be gone because of overdrafting because of his name or maybe he just warrants a top ten pick. My hope for the second was Surin but he seems to be rising. I’m thinking of Sennecke now if things don’t pan out

Reactions: lilidk

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Last year the group of wingers, or those likely to be wingers, chosen 11-20 OA consisted of But, Benson, Yager, Wood, Barlow, Sale. This year's group could be Iginla, Eiserman, Greentree, MBN, Sennecke, Chernyshov, Connelly. Iginla is as good a prospect as the best of last year's group (Benson) and overall it's a better group for the Wings' biggest need considering the size/physical element most of this year's group brings. Nobody in last year's group aside from possibly Barlow immediately checks as many boxes for what the Wings need as MBN or Chernyshov, who'd be higher on pre-Draft lists if he was anything but Russian. Yager, Wood and Barlow are not looking like anything special yet and no doubt a few of this year's group won't be looking like anything special a year from now either. They are similar groups, with a few more better fits for the Wings this year than last year, and most of them likely to be available when they pick. Unless the first-round pick is absolutely needed to acquire a high-end player, Wings should keep it and add a useful and maybe even really good winger piece to the forward puzzle.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
STL is a good call, but I think they may need a season or two of convincing to realize they need to take it apart. Thomas, however, would be a great target. I feel like Calgary has already been striped down and has nothing too exciting left.

Win the lotto, trade the 5th overall and Berggren for Rob Thomas and Buchnevic?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Unlike previous draft I don't like anything I see in the middle of first. I believe Pronman predicted Red Wings picks last couple of draft. Wonder what is his choice for wings this draft

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Seider said he likes to play with Edvinsson and if our first pair that , we could pick another defansman at mid first

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Rasmus Andersson on D.
Blake Coleman is probably the best 3rd line winger in the entire league.
Kuzmenko might be a fun player if we bring Patrick Kane back.
Markstrom would be a significant upgrade on Husso.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Stupid question.

Every final standing I have seen has has Detroit (#17) ahead of Washington(#18) in the final standings based on ROWs.

What is the draft order based on? When Washington goes out before the conference final, do they draft in front of Detroit or do they follow the playoff regulation win tie breaker?

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Looking at the draft, 15th isn't the worst. I think we will have at least 2 of MDN/Sennecke/Greentree available and I don't hate that. If 1 gets over drafted we get a faller (with downside risk of another D being the faller).

So we will lose the lottery and pick 1 of the high upside power forwards at 15. Not bad.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Looking at the draft, 15th isn't the worst. I think we will have at least 2 of MDN/Sennecke/Greentree available and I don't hate that. If 1 gets over drafted we get a faller (with downside risk of another D being the faller).

So we will lose the lottery and pick 1 of the high upside power forwards at 15. Not bad.

Agreed - I've started looking a lot more closely at various lists and mocks and it seems like 15 will have multiple bigger, skilled wing options. Not the worst case scenario in the world.

Reactions: flychairman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad