2024 Draft Discussion

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We
Looking at the draft, 15th isn't the worst. I think we will have at least 2 of MDN/Sennecke/Greentree available and I don't hate that. If 1 gets over drafted we get a faller (with downside risk of another D being the faller).

So we will lose the lottery and pick 1 of the high upside power forwards at 15. Not bad.
Those 3 are good , but non of them projects top line. Id rather trade that pick and Holl for bit later. It will free some money to sign someone good in free agency. We also could use #15 for good player or prospect

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
We

Those 3 are good , but non of them projects top line. Id rather trade that pick and Holl for bit later. It will free some money to sign someone good in free agency. We also could use #15 for good player or prospect
Not sure what we urgently need to clear 3M of cap for, I'd rather take another swing at a high offensive talent. This team could use a scoring power forward. Projections are just that, a guess, and should not be taken as fact.

Reactions: Unfriendly Ghost

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Not sure if anyone posted this, but central scouting released their final rankings for the 2024 draft: Celebrini tops Central Scouting North American ranking for 2024 NHL Draft | NHL.com

The two things that caught my eye most:
-Hage jumping to being ranked #10 among NA skaters
-Eiserman slicing and coming in at #12 among NA skaters
That is really low for Eiserman. I don't want to hope too much that he's there at 15 but what do you guys think the odds are that he is?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
That is really low for Eiserman. I don't want to hope too much that he's there at 15 but what do you guys think the odds are that he is?
If he is one trick pony Yzerman not going to draft him. Ones he said if you can't score you should know how defend

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eiserman will be Zadina 2.0 in the worst case and a one trick pony 30 goal 15 assist guy in the best case. Please don’t draft him

What is this based for?

30-goal guy would be pretty good vs. Zadina.

Quite sure when we are drafting at #15 overall, if Eiserman will fall there, he will be 100% BPA with that pick.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hopefully the pick is just traded in a package for a quality top six roster player.
Yeah. I really don't understand the disconnect. Is it POSSIBLE to hit a home run at 15? Sure. But the most likely outcome is a guy who takes 3-5 years to become something in the Veleno to Rasmussen range, which isn't doing a thing for the rebuild.

Take a handful of magic beans that each only have a tiny chance of ever being a significant player, and turn them into an actual impact player (with additional assets as needed).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Eiserman will be Zadina 2.0 in the worst case and a one trick pony 30 goal 15 assist guy in the best case. Please don’t draft him

Yeah. I really don't understand the disconnect. Is it POSSIBLE to hit a home run at 15? Sure. But the most likely outcome is a guy who takes 3-5 years to become something in the Veleno to Rasmussen range, which isn't doing a thing for the rebuild.

Take a handful of magic beans that each only have a tiny chance of ever being a significant player, and turn them into an actual impact player (with additional assets as needed).
Yeah I really don't understand the disconnect. Don't people realize that we can just force teams to make trades with us for the players we want? Why is this rebuild taking so long given Yzerman's omnipotent power.

I don't think this is a good year to pick a forward. If the guys we're looking at are Greentree and Sennecke at 15, meh. I'd rather take a swing on Buium or Yakemchuk or Parekh if one of them falls.
And if they don't fall????

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah I really don't understand the disconnect. Don't people realize that we can just force teams to make trades with us for the players we want? Why is this rebuild taking so long given Yzerman's omnipotent power.
That's not what I said. Vegas didn't force Buffalo to deal Eichel. Florida didn't force Calgary to deal Tkachuk. Trades of really good players don't happen often, so you need to be constantly looking and willing to be bold when the opportunity does present itself. But they do happen, so don't be content to just sit and wait for the kids as if they'll fill every significant hole in the roster.

Reactions: Snuggs

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It's probably time to go after skills more and less for the size, Guy like Gabe Perreault from last draft

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You guys are responding to a poster that likes it when the Wings are bad because it gives him fuel to shit on said Wings and get reactions out of you. He typically nibbles around the fringes, but every now and then he drops a load like this and gives away the game.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
You guys are responding to a poster that likes it when the Wings are bad because it gives him fuel to shit on said Wings and get reactions out of you. He typically nibbles around the fringes, but every now and then he drops a load like this and gives away the game.

Oh I'm well aware

Reactions: norrisnick

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I assume this is me? Someone who literally just said a few days ago he was anxiously looking forward to playoffs and was so down that we didn’t make it?

I’m sorry I have a differing opinion on the quality of some of our prospects but that doesn’t equate to purposely shitting on the team.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That's not what I said. Vegas didn't force Buffalo to deal Eichel. Florida didn't force Calgary to deal Tkachuk. Trades of really good players don't happen often, so you need to be constantly looking and willing to be bold when the opportunity does present itself. But they do happen, so don't be content to just sit and wait for the kids as if they'll fill every significant hole in the roster.
There is a big difference between:

A. We should be willing to part with our 1st OA pick if a good trade materializes this offseason,
and
B. Our 2024 Draft strategy should be to move our 1st OA pick.

I am hearing a lot more of B than A in this thread, which really does help a thread about the 2024 draft.

Anyways, we can't force a trade to materialize. I would certainly message to the league that it (along with other assets) are available, but you still need to be prepared to make the actual pick.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There is a big difference between:

A. We should be willing to part with our 1st OA pick if a good trade materializes this offseason,
and
B. Our 2024 Draft strategy should be to move our 1st OA pick.

I am hearing a lot more of B than A in this thread, which really does help a thread about the 2024 draft.

Anyways, we can't force a trade to materialize. I would certainly message to the league that it (along with other assets) are available, but you still need to be prepared to make the actual pick.
Fair. But I'll be downright stunned if they make the pick and (assuming they don't trade up) the guy they take becomes anything more than either a middle six forward or a 4/5 defenseman (and I'd lean even lower than that).

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Fair. But I'll be downright stunned if they make the pick and (assuming they don't trade up) the guy they take becomes anything more than either a middle six forward or a 4/5 defenseman (and I'd lean even lower than that).

Larkin was #15OA. It's a good number for the Wings. There's enough talent in this draft, I think at least one kid drafted 15 or later becomes a Robert Thomas level player. I have no idea which one though, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad