2024 Draft Discussion

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Trade up , I'd easily attach a 2nd,3rd and move up 5-6 spots for iginla or eiserman. This will probably be the last chance to pick that high for a while

I could trade down or swap picks to next season. 2025 is much better again.
You really think Fantilli is better than Celebrini?

I really like the top 20 in this draft and think we can get someone good where we pick

Yeah. We had this discussion already a year ago, how these 2023 top3 guys would all have been 1st overalls at side drafts, either 2022 or 2024.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pretty much my same feelings about the quality of this draft.

There are still players I like in this draft but overall I think it'll go down as a really mediocre to poor draft. These things work in cycles and we've had good to very good years (19, 20, 21) one that many are expecting to at least be average (2022) and one that we're all expecting greatness from (2023).

We're due for a poor draft along the lines of 1999, 2004, 2012 or 2018.

Easily. They're statistically similar in college but Fantilli looks like the better two way and power forward.
Depending on their draft board, I hope they either deal picks for actual players or package picks to move up. Time to shift from quantity to quality.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pretty much my same feelings about the quality of this draft.

There are still players I like in this draft but overall I think it'll go down as a really mediocre to poor draft. These things work in cycles and we've had good to very good years (19, 20, 21) one that many are expecting to at least be average (2022) and one that we're all expecting greatness from (2023).

We're due for a poor draft along the lines of 1999, 2004, 2012 or 2018.
It's a bit of an underwhelming draft, but I think you and Henkka are taking that a bit far.

This draft is well above average for defenseman. I think guys like Parekh and Buium would be the top defenseman in some other draft years, and they might be the 4th or 5th defenseman off the board in this one. We can't discount that just because we are mostly hoping we draft a forward. It's not a terrible draft overall. It's not a great draft if you are picking after pick 5 and trying to find a difference maker at forward. That is true for a lot of drafts though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just looking at all of the lists, I think it's almost a certainty one of Nygaard or Greentree will be there at 15.
I don't think there is much consensus with this class at all after the first few picks.

Possibly but I wouldnt bank on it . Nygaard been moving up
Using public lists to guess what teams have on their list if mostly a fool's errand. The only list that has ever shown to be able to predict the draft somewhat is Mckenzie's list, and that is usually only the case for the top 5. After that, it's anyone's guess.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023

Yeah. We had this discussion already a year ago, how these 2023 top3 guys would all have been 1st overalls at side drafts, either 2022 or 2024.
⁸highly doubt anyone's dealing a 1st from next year without knowing where that spot would be

Trading back would be an option if they like someone like petterson ranked 10+ spots back. I'd still move up ,think theres some good players with upside there and like I said before this will be the last chance to go for a higher pick cause we should be in the playoffs and in the mix for a while now

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Tank has the Wings with the #15 pick. Keeda says only 14 balls in the lottery. How are the Wings not locked into the #15 slot?

1713379382255.png

Christien

May 1, 2010

A year ago before Celebrini tore up the NCAA and won the Hobey… idk personal preference I guess but I think Celebrini is a better player than Fantilli. He just pops out a lot more when you watch him compared to when I watched Fantilli last year in college

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
It's a bit of an underwhelming draft, but I think you and Henkka are taking that a bit far.

This draft is well above average for defenseman. I think guys like Parekh and Buium would be the top defenseman in some other draft years, and they might be the 4th or 5th defenseman off the board in this one. We can't discount that just because we are mostly hoping we draft a forward. It's not a terrible draft overall. It's not a great draft if you are picking after pick 5 and trying to find a difference maker at forward. That is true for a lot of drafts though.

Parekh and Buium wouldn't be top defenseman in any of the last 10 drafts except 2016 when Juolevi inexplicably went that high.

2014: Ekblad
2015: Hanifin
2016: Juolevi (Sergachev was #2)
2017: Heiskanen
2018: Dahlin
2019: Byram (Seider was #2)
2020: Sanderson
2021: Power
2022: Nemec
2023: Reinbacher

I don't think those two are better as prospects than any of the names save for Juolevi. Levshunov might make it as the top D in half of these drafts and he's expected to be #1D in this year's draft.

There are some decent defense prospects this year but I think it's more to do with the lack of great forward prospects. THAT's why I think this draft is more akin to the 2012 and 2018 drafts in terms of quality. Both with lots of first round defensemen. Both with lots of mediocre forward groups.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Might be gone at 15. Really think this is a draft to move up for an iginla eiserman nygaard greentree . Whoever,dont think any are there at 15

If we stick at 15 ,maybe a hage? Maybe hakan convinces them to take lucas petterson? I'd have to check but wouldnt surprise me at that spot to see them take someone ranked 10-15 spots higher
I would be pretty surprised if at least one of those guys isnt there at 15. Eiserman has been falling over the course of the year too.

I think Sennecke and Catton could be "Yzerman" type players at forward. I also think Yakemchuk on D fits that mould but it seems like dmen shouldnt be a high priority right this second

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Went for a walk and listened to NHL draft class podcast and they talked alot about eiserman and apparently his 2 way game is getting better,had good things to say

I'd be shocked if hes there at 15 and would be a steal. I'd have to check more into sennecke ... they also mentioned hage which I also liked at 15 but now hes moved up to 10 north American list. Said hes consist which we know yzerman loves

Ya we definetly dont need another dman this year . All I know is want someone with high upside to play top 6 , dont want another sure nhler but likely plays bottom 6

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Parekh and Buium wouldn't be top defenseman in any of the last 10 drafts except 2016 when Juolevi inexplicably went that high.

2014: Ekblad
2015: Hanifin
2016: Juolevi (Sergachev was #2)
2017: Heiskanen
2018: Dahlin
2019: Byram (Seider was #2)
2020: Sanderson
2021: Power
2022: Nemec
2023: Reinbacher

I don't think those two are better as prospects than any of the names save for Juolevi. Levshunov might make it as the top D in half of these drafts and he's expected to be #1D in this year's draft.

There are some decent defense prospects this year but I think it's more to do with the lack of great forward prospects. THAT's why I think this draft is more akin to the 2012 and 2018 drafts in terms of quality. Both with lots of first round defensemen. Both with lots of mediocre forward groups.
Look at the defenseman drafted after Sanderson in the first that year. That was a stinky d man draft. Was never much of a Reinbacher guy, didn’t have him top 10.

Maybe I didn’t frame my point the best way, but I think if you take the top 5 defenseman from this draft, (whoever you think that is), they would compare favorably to most drafts over the last 10-15 years or so. The fact that this is a very good defenseman draft makes it so you can’t poo poo on it that much as a whole… IMO

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Maybe I’m looking at the wrong stuff, but the articles I’ve read lately, especially from the athletic, seem to say it’s an average class. Nothing like last years, but not horrible.

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Look at the defenseman drafted after Sanderson in the first that year. That was a stinky d man draft. Was never much of a Reinbacher guy, didn’t have him top 10.

Maybe I didn’t frame my point the best way, but I think if you take the top 5 defenseman from this draft, (whoever you think that is), they would compare favorably to most drafts over the last 10-15 years or so. The fact that this is a very good defenseman draft makes it so you can’t poo poo on it that much as a whole… IMO

I can think of the 2012 and 2018 drafts as the best for defensemen but weak at forward in recent memory. What other defense heavy drafts can you think of, and how many produced a lot of good or better forwards? How many are or will be considered average or better drafts?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Went for a walk and listened to NHL draft class podcast and they talked alot about eiserman and apparently his 2 way game is getting better,had good things to say

I'd be shocked if hes there at 15 and would be a steal. I'd have to check more into sennecke ... they also mentioned hage which I also liked at 15 but now hes moved up to 10 north American list. Said hes consist which we know yzerman loves

Ya we definetly dont need another dman this year . All I know is want someone with high upside to play top 6 , dont want another sure nhler but likely plays bottom 6

You will be disappointed. We are drafting in the mid-teens, not the top 5. Also, while I appreciate that you may want to trade up, trading up into the top 10 on draft day is relatively rare. Again, don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You will be disappointed. We are drafting in the mid-teens, not the top 5. Also, while I appreciate that you may want to trade up, trading up into the top 10 on draft day is relatively rare. Again, don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.
I keep trying to say they should package draft picks and assets for actual players. There's nothing wrong with the middle- to bottom-six kinda guys that Detroit's draft stock is likely to return. But that's not the caliber of player they really need.

Even in the extremely unlikely situation of all their picks panning out, that handful of depth scoring and grinders is less valuable than even one legit top-6 forward or top-4 defenseman.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can think of the 2012 and 2018 drafts as the best for defensemen but weak at forward in recent memory. What other defense heavy drafts can you think of, and how many produced a lot of good or better forwards? How many are or will be considered average or better drafts?
I think this one will be similar. I don’t think the forwards ranked in the 10-20 range are anything to shake a stick at. I think we agree as far as that goes.

If we draft a forward I hope we draft someone we think has a lot of room for development. Senecke or Iginla could make sense from that perspective.

I also wouldn’t fault them if they take a defenseman with the top pick because they think the BPA is a defenseman and it’s not close.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
I know most of these guys wont be there at 15. I'd be disappointed of eiserman is there at 10 or 11and we didnt say f it and trade up for him.

Not expecting it from yzerman he always trades back. Last season he could have traded up for michkov and didnt( no way the Russian fman wouldn't have been there at our spot for Arizona) and I'd expect him to do the same. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he did and think it would be the right call to affect another big piece to our pool

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Brandsegg—Nygard IMO
Im hoping for him, if not, Chernyshev is a player with similar attributes that could attract the Wings attention. Someone else mentioned Greentree; he sounds like he could be pretty good if he improves his skating a bit.

Really, Id love a trade up for Iginla or Helenius (I think he could be great if he keeps developing). Probably a pipe dream but dreams are healthy :)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I keep trying to say they should package draft picks and assets for actual players. There's nothing wrong with the middle- to bottom-six kinda guys that Detroit's draft stock is likely to return. But that's not the caliber of player they really need.

Even in the extremely unlikely situation of all their picks panning out, that handful of depth scoring and grinders is less valuable than even one legit top-6 forward or top-4 defenseman.
That being the case, why would anyone want to give you a bona fide top six forward for the pick? And no, the answer isn't some shit stacking video game trade offer where we package the pick with Holl, Tuomisto, Gylander, a 2025 3rd rounder, the rights to the brothers Dower Nilsson and a Dearborn ham. You need to give to get. Are you willing to package it with Kasper or Danielson or Ed? True quality is always expensive.

I do appreciate you having realistic expectations in terms of what our first round pick is likely to yield if used by Detroit. This board could use more of that realism.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I know most of these guys wont be there at 15. I'd be disappointed of eiserman is there at 10 or 11and we didnt say f it and trade up for him.

Not expecting it from yzerman he always trades back. Last season he could have traded up for michkov and didnt( no way the Russian fman wouldn't have been there at our spot for Arizona) and I'd expect him to do the same. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he did and think it would be the right call to affect another big piece to our pool
How do you know this? You do realize that it takes two teams to make a trade? You need to get on Capfriendly and take a look at the trade history function. Like I said, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think this one will be similar. I don’t think the forwards ranked in the 10-20 range are anything to shake a stick at. I think we agree as far as that goes.

If we draft a forward I hope we draft someone we think has a lot of room for development. Senecke or Iginla could make sense from that perspective.

I also wouldn’t fault them if they take a defenseman with the top pick because they think the BPA is a defenseman and it’s not close.
The middle of the first (and beyond) is largely the same year-to-year. I don't expect the offering at 14 or 15 to be materially different next year for example.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The more I watch video of Iginla the more I want us to draft him so bad. He kind of reminds me of a center version of Raymond. He has amazing drive, skill, and work ethics. Not to mention he has the HOF lineage.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
How do you know this? You do realize that it takes two teams to make a trade? You need to get on Capfriendly and take a look at the trade history function. Like I said, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed
Do I know this 100% ? No ... unless I hear it from someone on the inside no one will convince me otherwise.

Cant imagine the next 2 teams would have taken simashev. Yzerman was just not interested in michkov and targeted danielson. Is what it is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad