Prospect Info: 2024 CHL Playoffs (Beck, Mesar, Xhekaj, Guindon, Miller & Sobolev)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Dead on. It’s like people don’t remember all the whining about not going after high upside picks.

People thinking he’ll bust is perfectly reasonable (though a tad premature) but the fans acting like he has no upside aren’t worth listening to.

I like his floor. I’m sure all of us are secretly/not-so secretly hoping he finds that untapped upside that he’s shown plenty flashes of. But even if he doesn’t you can’t help but feel he’d be a great 4th liner.
If he gets a step quicker, Florian will play for the Canadiens. And he will play well.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yep you need 4 solid lines. Every contender has a solid 4th line, Vegas rolled 4 lines and they won the cup.
Vegas had a traditional 4th line who did traditional 4th line work. I don't buy into Mesar being a 4th line player at all.
If that is to be his role we won't benefit at all from the player. I look at both our squads right now and see some of the same issues.
The biggest being we don't have the personnel with the ability to wear down teams in their own end of the rink.
For me it's a huge problem when a team has to expend so much energy trying to clear the zone.
I'm really hoping Tuch and Xhekaj can be the spark that starts tipping the ice in our favor.

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It looks like Saginaw got stomped I didn't see the game but I expect it was ugly.
The Soo Greyhounds are dominating Saginaw with their physical play while winning the special teams battle.
Not a good combination for a smaller finesse team.
Honestly Saginaw don't impress me all that much.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

IcemanTBI

Apr 19, 2004
Land of Ice
It looks like Saginaw got stomped I didn't see the game but I expect it was ugly.
The Soo Greyhounds are dominating Saginaw with their physical play while winning the special teams battle.
Was at the game. Hounds played one of their best games all playoffs.
As for Beck, been watching him all series, has alot of upside. He can really skate and is very intelligent with the puck. Last night wasn't one of his best games but then again it wasn't for the entire team.
We need to give Parekh a serious look in the draft. He reminds me alot of Gally. Plays with a chip on his shoulder, is always involved in the play. Would be a great prospect for the Habs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Remember that thought when it comes to the draft and people start banging the drum for Parekh.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Mesar was a gamble pick but if he puts it together he could be elite. That's the exact type of pick I wanted from a second first round pick from a rebuilding team with a bunch of draft capital. Hutson was the same type of pick and that's turning out pretty good so far. These picks are high risk, high reward and that's how you get elite talent later in drafts.
Let’s not get carried away. Elite is a big word to use. He’s not even elite in the OHL as a 20 year old. I liked the pick at the time and he still has some room to improve, I think his style of play compliments good players more than OHL 2nd liners. But he needs to show more, and more consistently, before we can say he has elite potential.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
He definitely has some elite skills. Passing and stick handling. He sees the ice extremely well. Is that enough at this moment to get him to the NHL? I'm not sure about that. He needs to improve in other areas of his game. That's the big question mark and why it's high risk, high reward.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Speaking of "FloJack', he continues to impress and surprise with his play at the AHL level. I know it's a small sample size, but this kid is showing with his skating, anticipation and physical play, that he is here (pro hockey) to stay. He is not overwhelmed at all by the pace of the game in the AHL. There is, in this writer's opinion, little that can be gained by returning this young, emerging player to the OHL.

I know he's a fourth round pick. But sometimes you just get lucky. And this is a franchise that sorely needs a bit of luck.

Placing us in a position to draft Vanacker would not be an issue of luck. But a case of good asset management.
I love how you say "in this writer's opinion", I start reading it in my head in Edgar R Murrow's voice :DD

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Saginaw-Soo 2nd round series is the only OHL series to not be a sweep. The 3 other series were all 4-0s.

7th game is tomorrow night. Winner plays London.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Saginaw-Soo 2nd round series is the only OHL series to not be a sweep. The 3 other series were all 4-0s.

7th game is tomorrow night. Winner plays London.
That is why first overall in that division was so key.
The Soo Greyhounds were always going to be the toughest out for the second place team.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That is why first overall in that division was so key.
The Soo Greyhounds were always going to be the toughest out for the second place team.

Yeah, Soo was 3rd OA in OHL this year.

1. London
2. Saginaw
3. Soo

That's not an easy match-up for anyone. Soo had more points than Division winners Oshawa and North Bay. Whoever wins the West will win the OHL Championship.

Reactions: Rapala

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
It may also have been the result of an over exposure complex. In the team’s continuing assessment of Slafkovsky, our management may have become fixated on his Slovakian teammate to the detriment of other possible player options. Sometimes familiarity distorts independent assessment.

Nevertheless its far too early to throw Mesar on the scrap heap of failed high draft choices.
This doesn't make much sense. They didn't play on the same club or even the same country and the only time they played together in their draft year was at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup and the cancelled U20 WCH (all of 2 games).

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, Soo was 3rd OA in OHL this year.

1. London
2. Saginaw
3. Soo

That's not an easy match-up for anyone. Soo had more points than Division winners Oshawa and North Bay. Whoever wins the West will win the OHL Championship.
That's what I thought also the next series will be for the championship.
But damned if I didn't think the same thing last season until the Pete's turned that theory on it's head.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yeah he's gone lol

1-0 Saginaw in the 1st

Tied up 1-1 Saginaw dominated much of the game but couldn't score. Beck missed a clean break.
I'm not sure what is up with Owen but he's not sharp and his line isn't getting much time.
Soo seems to be coming on strong and are finding the legs.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
OMG, Gervais just hit the side of the net on an empty net. Saginaw is all over Soo.

Soo has only 12 shots all game. Saginaw 8 shots in first 6 minutes of 3rd.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Tied up 1-1 Saginaw dominated much of the game but couldn't score. Beck missed a clean break.
I'm not sure what is up with Owen but he's not sharp and his line isn't getting much time.
Soo seems to be coming on strong and are finding the legs.
If Beck's line is not getting a lot of ice time that is probably why they aren't winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad