Prospect Info: 2024 CHL Playoffs (Beck, Mesar, Xhekaj, Guindon, Miller & Sobolev)

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Mesar's value is pretty low.
i think at this point it's more about sending a message, his attitude wasn't good towards being sent down and he hasn't shown anything, you're basically just cutting your losses here

Habs already have way too many similar players in the system so I doubt he'll be able to crack our roster, they'll throw him into a deal to sweeten it imo, or maybe even move a contract they don't want

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
i think at this point it's more about sending a message, his attitude wasn't good towards being sent down and he hasn't shown anything, you're basically just cutting your losses here

Habs already have way too many similar players in the system so I doubt he'll be able to crack our roster, they'll throw him into a deal to sweeten it imo, or maybe even move a contract they don't want
I'm just not sure they should give up on him yet. I'd like to see what he can do in the AHL.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm just not sure they should give up on him yet. I'd like to see what he can do in the AHL.
i just find it hard to see him pass someone like Farrell who's a similar player, then you have Roy/Caufield/Dach/Newhook/Slaf/Suzuki who are gonna be long term players, there's only so many top 6 spots

Mesar won't be a middle 6 or bottom 6 player, that's for sure

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
i just find it hard to see him pass someone like Farrell who's a similar player, then you have Roy/Caufield/Dach/Newhook/Slaf/Suzuki who are gonna be long term players, there's only so many top 6 spots

Mesar won't be a middle 6 or bottom 6 player, that's for sure
I've been a fan of Farrell for a while, good smart player but I think Mesar is a little bit better and could one day slot into the third or second line for the Habs.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Mesar is tied for 1st in points in the OHL playoffs. I wouldn't write him off that quickly. Hope he gets some AHL game action. Guessing he'll be representing Slovakia as the upcoming World Championships and playing with Slafkovsky

Agreed, we should not be writing him off even if I really do not like his playstyle and find it difficult to envision his place on the Habs future roster. I would not be remotely surprised to see him moved relatively soon as a piece of a larger deal or in a swap of prospects who address different organizational needs.

I am not writing him off as an NHL prospect but he has definitely lost his shine in our pool imo. Hopefully he comes back next year with a real commitment to getting to the middle of the ice and competing harder in the trenches.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023

Which of these similar players have Mesars upside? Expected more from him in the OHL but the tools are there. Every time he played for Slovakia he was a difference maker and one of the best players on the ice. Wouldn’t trade him before seeing him play a full AHL season. It’s up to him to show if he’s got a future with Montreal.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

He was dominant in the first half of the season, he was dominant at WJC. Then he got injured, moved to 2nd line center with Sale. Bounced back when it mattered during playoffs. He is a playmaking winger with skills that should easily translate to pro hockey.
I agree with second part, we have too many similar players and I think he will be traded. He will be a solid middle 6 player in NHL similar to Maccelli.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Mesar is part of the cost to get someone established like Necas, then sure, but I'll never understand why fans of a team starved for offense is always so quick to turn on the young offensive players in the organization, especially so early before they've had a chance to develop.

Once again Mesar shows up and is a big producer in big games - that should say something, more than just having trouble finding consistency after the WJC, something he himself admits was a bit of a mental block.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
McConnell-Barker ran the Spirit goaltender (head contact) last game. No suspension.
Soo Greyhounds laying a physical beating on Saginaw. Owen Beck was the only player able to create anything on Wednesday.
I don't know if Parehk is still out took a high hit but I think Hache is suspended for two games after his slew foot.
Playoff hockey and the Bigger Stronger team is having it's way. Saginaw's small finesse players need to step up.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

He wanted to go back to junior. He wanted to play where he would get more puck touches and play top line minutes. He said as much when he was in the AHL and he was asked about it. His attitude has been real good this year. And the only time his production slowed down was after he got hurt mid-January after he came back from the WJC. Up until he got hurt, he was on fire. Before he went to the WJC, he had 32 pts in 20 GP in the OHL up to that point.

Mesar finished 6th in scoring on Kitchener, but he played between 15-22 less games than everyone else on the team. He was over a PPG player. And he was on pace for 79 pts in 68 GP.

He was second in PPG at the WJC (9 pts in 5 GP). So when he came back from the Worlds, he had put up 41 pts in 25 games. At the time Kitchener was eliminated, he's third in points in the OHL playoffs (16 pts in 10 GP). The top-3 are tied at 16 pts, Mesar sits 3rd because he only has 1 goal (top scorer has 7 and 2nd scorer has 5).

If you look at his entire year, he finished with 78 pts (22G, 56A) in 62 GP across all competitions (OHL + OHL Playoffs + WJC + his 2 games in the AHL, where he had 1 assist in 2 GP)

He's not an untouchable. But I don't think he's someone who has underachieved. I think people's expectations of him are too high. He's someone people should be excited about, but he's not some spectacular player who was supposed to dominate everything.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
If Mesar is part of the cost to get someone established like Necas, then sure, but I'll never understand why fans of a team starved for offense is always so quick to turn on the young offensive players in the organization, especially so early before they've had a chance to develop.

Once again Mesar shows up and is a big producer in big games - that should say something, more than just having trouble finding consistency after the WJC, something he himself admits was a bit of a mental block.
Some posters in here act like Mesar was taken top 5 in the draft instead of 26th.

He did very good this season, and showed up strong in the playoffs.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

He is a clutch player. I remember his game in WJC quarterfinals against FIN where he totally dominated. None of the players came close to his level. The same was year before against CAN when he was very good, but there was this guy called Bedard. Now he is leading scorer in OHL playoffs.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

This is HFboard after all.

I was about to write a paragraph about it, then realized my first sentence was enough ;)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He wanted to go back to junior. He wanted to play where he would get more puck touches and play top line minutes. He said as much when he was in the AHL and he was asked about it. His attitude has been real good this year. And the only time his production slowed down was after he got hurt mid-January after he came back from the WJC. Up until he got hurt, he was on fire. Before he went to the WJC, he had 32 pts in 20 GP in the OHL up to that point.

Mesar finished 6th in scoring on Kitchener, but he played between 15-22 less games than everyone else on the team. He was over a PPG player. And he was on pace for 79 pts in 68 GP.

He was second in PPG at the WJC (9 pts in 5 GP). So when he came back from the Worlds, he had put up 41 pts in 25 games. At the time Kitchener was eliminated, he's third in points in the OHL playoffs (16 pts in 10 GP). The top-3 are tied at 16 pts, Mesar sits 3rd because he only has 1 goal (top scorer has 7 and 2nd scorer has 5).

If you look at his entire year, he finished with 78 pts (22G, 56A) in 62 GP across all competitions (OHL + OHL Playoffs + WJC + his 2 games in the AHL, where he had 1 assist in 2 GP)

He's not an untouchable. But I don't think he's someone who has underachieved. I think people's expectations of him are too high. He's someone people should be excited about, but he's not some spectacular player who was supposed to dominate everything.
I agree with all this except that his production is a let down.

Kitchener does seem wonky. He has great tools. We’ll see how coachable he is.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Mesar has had some ups and downs, no doubt about that. If you watch him play you see he has some elite skills. I'm looking forward to him getting further into the system and letting the staff work with him and round out his game. He has a high ceiling but weather he reaches it is another question. He's a late first round pick and the Habs have a much stronger development team now, so let's be patient and see what the future brings.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Only because the overall package is not exciting. Kid plays perimeter. Isn't physical (and I'm not talking about huge hits), doesn't score even as a 20-year old at the junior level after having played against men, and it's about who was picked after him.

What pisses me off the most though is not his fault......I'm going berzerk over talks (not by Habs management 'cause they don't talk) that we might not be interested in freakin Catton because of size.....yet...he'd be our best prospect by a mile. And when I say because of size, it's because of Catton's OWN size AND the size of our own prospects including Mesar....And also, when we picked Mesar (as late as it was, we are still taking 1st rounder), when guys a little bigger like Kulich, Lambert, Bystedt and Cie were available. So Mesar was worthy despite his size, Catton might not be because of Mesar's presence? lol

Now, to be honest, was Mesar just seen as BPA.....maybe. I have a hard time seeing how he would be compared to a Kulich though.

My main concern is that I see him as a one-trick pony, a good passer with a good IQ and nothing else. We will see what the future will make me eat my crow.

• Haha
Reactions: mdk and Natey

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I think it may be less about Mesar underachieving and more about what players taken after him have done.

Setting aside Hutson and Beck (who I think are consensus better prospects, but also Habs prospects), most fans looking at Mesar and then looking at Kulich, Lambert, Firkus, Poitras, etc. will be disappointed in the pick. It doesn't mean he's a bad prospect, but not the best pick.

Its also still pretty early, we'll see what Mesar does in the AHL next season and how much talent will be there.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This is HFboard after all.

I was about to write a paragraph about it, then realized my first sentence was enough ;)
I don't get that point at all. Isn't it the easiest thing to be thrilled by a PPG guy in the playoffs? Why can't people understand that it's all about projecting? Newsflash, most 20 year old will be PPG in the playoffs. Even some who are NOT drafted.

It's not about points. It's about translating. Beck is PPG right now. Beck though has only 2 goals. Not impressive. Yet....his game is more translatable EVEN if we are talking about a lesser ceiling. Yes, Mesar has a better ceiling because...he has no choice. For him, it's top 6 NHL. Or top 6 in Europe. But it's all about trying to determine if he can and will reach his ceiling.

If anything, kudos to posters who do not solely look at a stat sheet, POSITIVELY OR NEGATIVELY to have an opinion on a guy. Even if in the end, the opinion happens to be wrong....'cause Statswatching is so easy and boring to do.....it's not even worth a HF board for it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad