Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
At the end of this video, Carlsson is asked about his plans for the summer. All he talks about is going home to Sweden. I'm guessing he won't play in the WC, which is probably the right call.

I don’t think that means anything. The WC only runs to the end of May. Plus he is like a 2 hour plane ride from where the WC is being held from his home.

I’m indifferent if he goes or not , but he missed some time, and should get some more reps in, if he is healthy. Has to get used to playing a full season of games. Plus give him some confidence, try to play for something, instead of on a rebuilding team.

So not sure if it is the right call or not. If he wants to represent his country, don’t think Verbeek will advise against it.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
1713884465344.png

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Terry’s PPG of 0.71 was second only to Vatrano’s 0.73, and he tied with Fowler to lead the team with 34 assists, with 22 (65%) of those being primary assists (also #1), so he wasn’t just accumulating points from other people’s work with a bunch of secondaries.
Statements like this affirm my suspicion that we have become completely ok with mediocrity.

Terry has entered his prime years and just signed a nice fat deal signaling the organizations belief that he is part of the solution to the Ducks moving out of the basement. We should/need to expect more from him. He should not be taking steps back in his contributions to the team, and he most certainly did that this year. 0.71 PPG is not good enough, regardless of how you swing it or who you compare him to. Just watch the games dude....Terry was ass this year.

This is hilarious. Talk about a complete lack of self awareness.

How about we work on using our teammates and not turning the puck over? Guy is delusional.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I expect that Terry quote is going to rub some people the wrong way, but I agree with it. Terry was at his best when he shot the puck quickly off the rush, or he dangled once and then shot, rather than trying to juke every defender on the ice. Terry is just not a great passer - he's got good vision, but he doesn't have the touch to get pucks through/around defenders.

If Terry becomes a shooter alongside Carlsson, I think that could work.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Yeah, Terry's biggest problem this year was that he was constantly trying to do too much on the ice, and kept losing the puck and stifling our offense when that wouldn't work out. And it wouldn't the vast majority of time because he's just not that good of a dangler and not that strong on the puck.

If he simplifies his game and goes back to shooting more, it'd probably benefit him a lot. He was at his very best with Getzlaf, who was excellent at being strong, grindy, and slowing down the game, which in turn let Terry focus on getting the puck and shooting it. Leo could become that for him, and if he emphasizes shooting more then he'll score more and generate more chances for his line mates.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I agree with what Terry wants to do and let other guys do the playmaking. Terry is not a simple north-south pure shooter like Vatrano or someone like that. There is complexity to how he plays so that might be sort of why he goes back and forth. But I think as Leo gets more assertive with the puck that should help. Terry also played well with Mctavish.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Statements like this affirm my suspicion that we have become completely ok with mediocrity.

Terry has entered his prime years and just signed a nice fat deal signaling the organizations belief that he is part of the solution to the Ducks moving out of the basement. We should/need to expect more from him. He should not be taking steps back in his contributions to the team, and he most certainly did that this year. 0.71 PPG is not good enough, regardless of how you swing it or who you compare him to. Just watch the games dude....Terry was ass this year.

How about we work on using our teammates and not turning the puck over? Guy is delusional.

You're correct about Terry's 0.71 ppg is not good enough. My opinion is that Cronin has coached the offense out of our finesse players. Even Carlsson's production looks weak for how much time and talent he was given.

Yeah, Terry's biggest problem this year was that he was constantly trying to do too much on the ice, and kept losing the puck and stifling our offense when that wouldn't work out. And it wouldn't the vast majority of time because he's just not that good of a dangler and not that strong on the puck.

If he simplifies his game and goes back to shooting more, it'd probably benefit him a lot. He was at his very best with Getzlaf, who was excellent at being strong, grindy, and slowing down the game, which in turn let Terry focus on getting the puck and shooting it. Leo could become that for him, and if he emphasizes shooting more then he'll score more and generate more chances for his line mates.

Terry was best with Getz. The hero puck mode that Terry has become started last year and has carried onto this year. I do believe Terry is doing too much because he feels compelled to take on the reins after Getz retired and it hasn't worked for him the past two seasons.

Terry
SeasonGPGAPtsppgShotsShot/GPPrimary APA1 rankCenter
2021-22
75​
37​
30​
67​
0.89​
192​
2.56​
15​
tied-4thGetz
2022-23
70​
23​
38​
61​
0.87​
188​
2.69​
22​
2ndZegras
2023-24
76​
20​
34​
54​
0.71​
172​
2.26​
22​
1stCarlsson

We can see that Terry actually shot more on a per game basis last year compared his Getzlaf season. The difference between those two seasons is Terry wasn't the primary handler in the Getz season, but often the recipient of passes that allowed Terry to notch in 37 goals.

Terry is correct that he needs to shoot more, but he's missing the part that he also needs to carry the puck less. Let his center carry the puck and Terry finds a way to be in prime shooting position.

I prefer Terry with Zegras than with Carlsson. Carlsson dangles through the opposition like Terry does far too often and feels like we're changing Carlsson's game to be more like Mac (shooter) than his naturally game pre-Ducks, which is to be like Getz to have elite passing with elite vision. We should have left Carlsson in Orebro to play 1C in Sweden so we wouldn't screw Carlsson up.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I agree terry should be a shoot first player on this roster…. Don’t dangle as much and actually use your teammates

You're correct about Terry's 0.71 ppg is not good enough. My opinion is that Cronin has coached the offense out of our finesse players. Even Carlsson's production looks weak for how much time and talent he was given.

Terry was best with Getz. The hero puck mode that Terry has become started last year and has carried onto this year. I do believe Terry is doing too much because he feels compelled to take on the reins after Getz retired and it hasn't worked for him the past two seasons.

Terry
SeasonGPGAPtsppgShotsShot/GPPrimary APA1 rankCenter
2021-22
75​
37​
30​
67​
0.89​
192​
2.56​
15​
tied-4thGetz
2022-23
70​
23​
38​
61​
0.87​
188​
2.69​
22​
2ndZegras
2023-24
76​
20​
34​
54​
0.71​
172​
2.26​
22​
1stCarlsson

We can see that Terry actually shot more on a per game basis last year compared his Getzlaf season. The difference between those two seasons is Terry wasn't the primary handler in the Getz season, but often the recipient of passes that allowed Terry to notch in 37 goals.

Terry is correct that he needs to shoot more, but he's missing the part that he also needs to carry the puck less. Let his center carry the puck and Terry finds a way to be in prime shooting position.

I prefer Terry with Zegras than with Carlsson. Carlsson dangles through the opposition like Terry does far too often and feels like we're changing Carlsson's game to be more like Mac (shooter) than his naturally game pre-Ducks, which is to be like Getz to have elite passing with elite vision. We should have left Carlsson in Orebro to play 1C in Sweden so we wouldn't screw Carlsson up.

If terry becomes more of a pure scorer, I’d be okay with him on either carlsson or zegras line…. But if he plays like he did this year I’d prefer him not play with any of those 2

Reactions: Deuce22

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I took some time to look at on-ice teammate impacts on NaturalStatTrick (AKA how well specific duos played with one another). McTavish was one player that stuck out because his underlying numbers were pretty bad with just about every one of our top forwards, with the exception of Zegras. For those saying he and Terry worked well together, believe it or not, McTavish's numbers with Terry were far worse than any other single player (outscored 12-9 with a 36.8% xGF% in 129 minutes of ice time at 5v5). The Zegras-McTavish duo played 54 5v5 minutes together and had an xGF% of 54% (though they were outscored 4-2). For those wondering, Terry's best partners were Zegras and Henrique. Strome's best partner was Carlsson, and Vatrano's was Killorn. Overall, it seemed like Carlsson, Zegras, Killorn, and Henrique generally had the most positive impacts on their linemates.

I didn't dig deep enough to truly draw any conclusions, but I have a couple of thoughts. First, Strome should be on the 3rd line, he doesn't drive play enough to play on the top 2 lines, and he should get easier matchups further down the lineup. Ideally, I think Vatrano would also be on a 3rd line, but I would try and keep him away from Strome. Vatrano seems to have good numbers with Killorn (117 5v5 minutes with a 53.5% xGF%) so maybe that is a duo that could be tried more. The Zegras-McTavish duo seems to work, but I do worry about their combined defensive abilities. They might need a very responsible RW next to them. In theory, Terry could be an option there, but he needs to simplify his game for it to work. Carlsson's numbers are extremely impressive given his age and role on a bad team. He will continue to make everyone around him look good.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We should have left Carlsson in Orebro to play 1C in Sweden so we wouldn't screw Carlsson up.
Totally disagree with this. His numbers were very solid to what you expect from a 18 yo rookie coming into the league, and on a shit team that can't score goals. At times he was looking like a 1C. Should he have produced more? Of course, but given all the factors like injuries, revolving line-mates, bad puck luck, and coaching, was not easy.

I put more fault on the coaching and system than him or his line-mates. I got a little heated with Terry but honestly, I think they were being asked to play a system or game they are not comfortable with which is why the hero puck happened more. Cronin needs to figure out how to use these players to their strengths.

Leo had a positive impact on the ice, made his line-mates better even if they didn't score as much as they should. To me his development went well, because by the end of the season was producing again and killing penalties, and starting to become that full 200 foot player he is expected to become.

Last edited:

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

I think its the exact opposite. Its complete self awareness. Hes not strong enough and getting pushed off the puck too easily and he was always trying to do too much with the puck when he had it. He needs to be a shooter, not a playmaker. We have much better playmakers around him, he needs to simplify his game and shoot.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
People sound like they're thinking that those quotes are the entirety of Terry's thoughts, and that he's not considering anything else. I don't know why.

I think Terry identified a couple things he needs to continue to work on in that snippet. 1) strength. 2) shoot more. Because it seems so obvious to a lot of us, what I would like an interviewer to ask Terry is to address what he specifically thinks about:
  • Using teammates more
  • Carrying the puck less
  • Does he feel he tries to do too much by himself?
  • How he felt the new coaching style affected his game
  • How he felt the new coaching style affected his teammates' games
  • Who he feels he plays best with
I'd like Terry to specifically address those individual topics. I don't think he'd shy away from it, as he's very verbose and contemplative. I'd also like to see stats on average puck carry time per touch, and see where Terry is compared to other offensive-minded teammates. Maybe see stats on how often he was a last touch into turnover, and how that was compared to teammates also. And then maybe talk to Terry about those stats and hear his thoughts.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Totally disagree with this. His numbers were very solid to what you expect from a 18 yo rookie coming into the league, and on a shit team that can't score goals. At times he was looking like a 1C. Should he have produced more? Of course, but given all the factors like injuries, revolving line-mates, bad puck luck, and coaching, was not easy.

I put more fault on the coaching and system than him or his line-mates. I got a little heated with Terry but honestly, I think they were being asked to play a system or game they are not comfortable with which is why the hero puck happened more. Cronin needs to figure out how to use these players to their strengths.

Leo had a positive impact on the ice, made his line-mates better even if they didn't score as much as they should. To me his development went well, because by the end of the season was producing again and killing penalties, and starting to become that full 200 foot player he is expected to become.

In the bold and orange is the reason why Carlsson should have stayed in Sweden. Remember, Orebro has developed Carlsson into becoming the #2 pick as a LW'er and this year was his first year as a center and a 1C at that.

It's apparent that we rushed Carlsson to the NHL and that "load mgmt" was bullshit. The only value Carlsson got was playing on NHL ice, but his play would have been better served with Orebro and Lekkerimaki on his wing.

Oct 18, 2011

Having better talent would help the doing too much mentality. If your team can't score this is going to happen

Reactions: Ducks DVM and Kalv

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I took some time to look at on-ice teammate impacts on NaturalStatTrick (AKA how well specific duos played with one another). McTavish was one player that stuck out because his underlying numbers were pretty bad with just about every one of our top forwards, with the exception of Zegras. For those saying he and Terry worked well together, believe it or not, McTavish's numbers with Terry were far worse than any other single player (outscored 12-9 with a 36.8% xGF% in 129 minutes of ice time at 5v5). The Zegras-McTavish duo played 54 5v5 minutes together and had an xGF% of 54% (though they were outscored 4-2). For those wondering, Terry's best partners were Zegras and Henrique. Strome's best partner was Carlsson, and Vatrano's was Killorn. Overall, it seemed like Carlsson, Zegras, Killorn, and Henrique generally had the most positive impacts on their linemates.

I didn't dig deep enough to truly draw any conclusions, but I have a couple of thoughts. First, Strome should be on the 3rd line, he doesn't drive play enough to play on the top 2 lines, and he should get easier matchups further down the lineup. Ideally, I think Vatrano would also be on a 3rd line, but I would try and keep him away from Strome. Vatrano seems to have good numbers with Killorn (117 5v5 minutes with a 53.5% xGF%) so maybe that is a duo that could be tried more. The Zegras-McTavish duo seems to work, but I do worry about their combined defensive abilities. They might need a very responsible RW next to them. In theory, Terry could be an option there, but he needs to simplify his game for it to work. Carlsson's numbers are extremely impressive given his age and role on a bad team. He will continue to make everyone around him look good.
This leads to me suggest this top 9 lineup:

Vatrano-Carlsson-Killorn
Zegras-McTavish-Terry/New RW
Gauthier-Strome-Terry/New RW

I’m sure Gauthier will force his way up the lineup eventually, but I think starting him on the 3rd line is fine. He can even play C instead of Strome on that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad