Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I think it’s comical that Terry outperformed everybody but Vatrano this year and because he’s streaky and had his numbers hampered as badly or worse by the poor play of the rest of the team as they were from his everyone wants to jettison him.
Another thing - who exactly is going to replace him? lol it's not like we have a blue chip prospect in SD who lit the league on fire. The options that would make him somewhat expendable would be to overpay for a FA (likely older than Troy and more expensive - probably a bad idea) or pray we get Celebrini so an existing forward can slot in for him (unlikely).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think it’s comical that Terry outperformed everybody but Vatrano this year and because he’s streaky and had his numbers hampered as badly or worse by the poor play of the rest of the team as they were from his everyone wants to jettison him.

To be fair, Vatrano hit 37 goals. Terry hit 37 goals once, but his goal production has been dropping since. That is what many are upset about. I'm upset about it too.

Terry goal scoring
2021-22: 37 goals​
2022-23: 23 goals​
2023-24: 20 goals​

Although, like you said, Terry is still high in production. There isn't a point of getting rid of players who generate points. I think some people are just impatient.

Terry points and points rank on team
2021-22: 67 points (1st) in 75 games (With Getz, Eakins, GM Murray)​
2022-23: 61 points (2nd) in 70 games (With Eakins, GM Verbeek)​
2023-24: 54 points (2nd) in 76 games (With Cronin, GM Verbeek)​

Yet, unlike others, I blame Cronin for causing our finesse forwards for not producing more like Terry, Z, and Carlsson. They're not dump & chase players.

Mac and our 4th liners are dump & chase guys. Mac dragged Vatrano and Strome to start the season. In Vatrano and Strome's first 26 games, they logged so much scoring with Mac!

Screenshot 2023-12-28 180520.png

Vatrano: 82 games, 37g + 23a = 60 pts
Strome: 79 games, 11g +30a = 41 pts

I know they both scored more with Mac, but I didn't keep track of it. But it's crazy how much they racked up in those first 26 games.

Anyhow, back to Terry... Carlsson and Z, Cronin needs to more flexible offensively to help our finesse guys score more points instead of Verbeek thinking we need more bottom-6 scoring.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Judging by the end of the year I would like us to line up similar to this.

Gauthier Carlsson Killorn
McTavish Zegras Colangelo
Vatrano Strome Terry
Nesterenko Lunderstrom Leason

Fowler Luneau
Minty Gudas
Zellweger Lindstrom
LaCombe

Dostal

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
To be fair, Vatrano hit 37 goals. Terry hit 37 goals once, but his goal production has been dropping since. That is what many are upset about. I'm upset about it too.

Terry goal scoring
2021-22: 37 goals​
2022-23: 23 goals​
2023-24: 20 goals​

Although, like you said, Terry is still high in production. There isn't a point of getting rid of players who generate points. I think some people are just impatient.

Terry points and points rank on team
2021-22: 67 points (1st) in 75 games (With Getz, Eakins, GM Murray)​
2022-23: 61 points (2nd) in 70 games (With Eakins, GM Verbeek)​
2023-24: 54 points (2nd) in 76 games (With Cronin, GM Verbeek)​

Yet, unlike others, I blame Cronin for causing our finesse forwards for not producing more like Terry, Z, and Carlsson. They're not dump & chase players.

Mac and our 4th liners are dump & chase guys. Mac dragged Vatrano and Strome to start the season. In Vatrano and Strome's first 26 games, they logged so much scoring with Mac!

View attachment 855602

Vatrano: 82 games, 37g + 23a = 60 pts
Strome: 79 games, 11g +30a = 41 pts

I know they both scored more with Mac, but I didn't keep track of it. But it's crazy how much they racked up in those first 26 games.

Anyhow, back to Terry... Carlsson and Z, Cronin needs to more flexible offensively to help our finesse guys score more points instead of Verbeek thinking we need more bottom-6 scoring.
Terry’s PPG of 0.71 was second only to Vatrano’s 0.73, and he tied with Fowler to lead the team with 34 assists, with 22 (65%) of those being primary assists (also #1), so he wasn’t just accumulating points from other people’s work with a bunch of secondaries.

IMG_5110.png

People are going off of the 5 points in the last 11 games after Zegras returned and ignoring how much better he was the rest of the year, and that he produced about as well as anyone other than Vatrano (who padded things in the last game) and Zegras.

Terry needs work getting out of his head, and needs to play less hero puck. But many of the folks complaining when he does it turn a blind eye to Carlsson trying to go through three players 4 or 5 times a game and losing a possession every time be he’s “almost” doing something amazing. It’s still hero puck, and it’s still always a turnover.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006

Vatrano Strome Terry

Fowler Luneau
Minty Gudas
Zellweger Lindstrom
LaCombe

Dostal
Luneau needs to go to A and ripen.. Fowler needs be off the 1st pair.. Myntikov and zellweger would be good together. His body is tired.. He needs less minutes.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Terry’s PPG of 0.71 was second only to Vatrano’s 0.73, and he tied with Fowler to lead the team with 34 assists, with 22 (65%) of those being primary assists (also #1), so he wasn’t just accumulating points from other people’s work with a bunch of secondaries.

View attachment 855617

People are going off of the 5 points in the last 11 games after Zegras returned and ignoring how much better he was the rest of the year, and that he produced about as well as anyone other than Vatrano (who padded things in the last game) and Zegras.

Terry needs work getting out of his head, and needs to play less hero puck. But many of the folks complaining when he does it turn a blind eye to Carlsson trying to go through three players 4 or 5 times a game and losing a possession every time be he’s “almost” doing something amazing. It’s still hero puck, and it’s still always a turnover.

Felt like Leo started doing more of that as the season went along. I certainly didn't care for it. He was more of a give-and-go player at the start of the season. Still think he was more effective than Terry who was all over the place this year. Hopefully he can figure it out next year.

Kinda reminds of the Dostál/Gibson comparison. ;)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Ha. Carlsson did the whole hero thing of trying to go through three players as the season went on and Carlsson also lost the puck. He's the new shiny new toy and no one's criticizing him. This feels like the Cronin v Eakins conversation. lol

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If you don't like Terry with Mac, how can you like him with Z? I like Z with Mac. I would run Terry with Lundy and Leason/Colangelo.

Because Z-Terry were more productive in 2022-23. Z understands Terry and Terry can trust Z due to the fact Z scored more points than him in 2022-23.

Mac wants the puck, wants to shoot the puck, plays the dump & chase, and the cycle game. Two different types of players. Terry needs someone who likes to dish more than shoot, that is Z. Carlsson is being shaped oddly by our head coaches. I wished he was left in Sweden to play center properly and then translate that style of play over to NA.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Vatrano Strome Terry

Fowler Luneau
Minty Gudas
Zellweger Lindstrom
LaCombe

Dostal
So the 4th line is the softest? Another fan who doesn't want to see the team hitting let alone any fights

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Vaakou

Jun 30, 2012
Kristianstad
Because Z-Terry were more productive in 2022-23. Z understands Terry and Terry can trust Z due to the fact Z scored more points than him in 2022-23.

Mac wants the puck, wants to shoot the puck, plays the dump & chase, and the cycle game. Two different types of players. Terry needs someone who likes to dish more than shoot, that is Z. Carlsson is being shaped oddly by our head coaches. I wished he was left in Sweden to play center properly and then translate that style of play over to NA.
I strongly disagree with this. Terry is such a puckhog that he makes everyone on his line worse. Z needs to have the puck as much as possible, Terry takes the puck away from Z and is a bad partner for him. MacT is the only center i would pair him with currently. MacT plays a much more touch and go style. However i would perfer MacT to play wing going forward, and keep Z in the middle were he is much better. Terry is a linedriver, even on the wing, so is Z. MacT is not and doesn't mind not having the puck as much.

Edit: I don't hate Terry, i just find him hard to place in the lineup. He's a one-man show, and i don't see it working in the playoffs. That's why i been all for trading him for an uppgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deuce22

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Lundestrom needs to go and the ducks need a big gritty defensive 4th line center. I’m not sure who’s out there but I just don’t see Lundy as a fit on this team anymore

Terry isn’t going anywhere. This was his first somewhat underwhelming season in 3 years and he’ll be given a chance to rebound. I think he either needs to run his own line or play with McTavish. It’s never going to work with him on Carlsson or Zegras’ line

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

View attachment 855617

I was with you here until you mentioned Carlsson. The dude is a teenager and will learn. Terry is a grown man who seems to be a mental midget and keeps falling into the same traps. If Carlsson is still doing the same thing in 5+ years then the comparison would be solid.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Maybe it's just me but I thought Vatrano-McT-Terry looked good in the small sample. I thought T in that stretch looked the best he did all year.

4th line center we should just bring back Carrick. He wins faceoffs. He PKs and we know him. I'd move leason to LW and try and add a 4RW who has a physical element. And PKs. Of course we could add a different center and let Carrick be the RW too. I really don't see us adding a 3+ million player for those roles though

So that leaves us with adding a forward for either a Carlsson or Z line. Should be noted that Z and Strome have a lot of history together too so I'm not as concerned having those 2 together. I still think Stamkos is a real possibility. It makes sense from a term perspective too with Colangelo pretty close if not ready. A 1-2 year deal for Stammer gives a line of succession. That being said I feel like you could find a new home for Steome if you went with a player with more term.

Does anyone have the stats for the Fowler Zell pairing?

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
So the 4th line is the softest? Another fan who doesn't want to see the team hitting let alone any fights
I'm with Dirk on this one. We need Guys more sand paper on that 4th line. We need guys that change the momentum of games with hits.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I was with you here until you mentioned Carlsson. The dude is a teenager and will learn. Terry is a grown man who seems to be a mental midget and keeps falling into the same traps. If Carlsson is still doing the same thing in 5+ years then the comparison would be solid.
The thing is that Terry was completely capable of dangling through players last year, it IS absolutely in his skill set. Carlsson clearly isn’t strong enough to do it effectively - yet.I expect he will be able to dance right through people in 2 seasons doesn’t absolve him of also being a selfish turnover machine right now, but the story has become that a player who’s shown the ability to actually do what he’s trying to do in the past but is currently struggling (and yet still greatly outproducing all but 1 player) is a 7 year boat anchor that needs to be unloaded but the promising flashy kid who’s never proven he can do it shouldn’t be called out for trying to do the same thing repeatedly because reason is what I find comical. Failing is failing. There’s no reason to think Terry can’t get back to form, and no reason to think Carlsson won’t be the significantly better player - but he isn’t right now. He’s much more talented, but he’s not put it together (or put on the muscle) YET.

I’m not bashing Carlsson, and I wasn’t constantly bashing him during the season. I’m calling people out for not holding both players to the same standards, and wanting to trade the one that’s currently significantly more effective from a production standpoint.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Sorry for the word salad, wanted to get all my thoughts out.

I don't necessarily want to trade him at this point but I don't think it's accurate to say his issues this year have just been that he's been streaky. Don't get me wrong, 54 points is still a productive player and I'd be reluctant to move away from that, but at the same time it's not enough to just look at the steaky nature of his production and say you've adequately captured the issues he brings to this team on an individual basis. Everyone on this team struggles with puck management to some degree, I just want to say that off the rip. But with Terry, it's especially problematic because he's the biggest puck hog on the team and while he showed some flashes over the course of the year of starting to play the right way (e.g. knowing when and how to utilize his teammates more), he never stuck with it. For the most part, over his 76 games, he would constantly try to play hero puck holding possession for way too long trying to dangle through player after player and by the time he decided it was time to pass it was usually at a point where he ran out of room and was about to get dispossessed and on more occasions than not it would result in bad passes and turnovers. Like, I get you like the guy and I do too but after 76 games worth of a sample, it should be obvious that this is a very problematic part of his game and one that consistently killed offensive flow for our top young forward who had to spend shift after shift not getting the puck and chasing in the neutral and defensive zones specifically because of Terry's poor decisions with the puck.

It's not so much a question of should we trade him right now as it is can Terry adapt and evolve his game next year to stop playing a way that actively drags the team back. I don't think it's enough to say "well at least he's producing" and that just because he's capable of putting up more than 40 points we should just accept that he is an active puck possession liability no matter what line he is on. Since Cutter's debut a lot of Ducks fans here and around the internet have been speculating on potential line combos next year and I can't speak for anyone else, but I hate any line Terry is proposed to be on because it feels like that line will have to spend a lot of time puck chasing because Terry has been below average at synergizing with his linemates and being a puck distributor when he needs to be. Again, I don't think his raw stats excuse that his overall play is problematic. I hope he turns it around. I really do. I like him as a player and person but he's not done developing. And I think, if after next year, he continues to be a liability on offensive game flow and possession, then you should look at trading him for value.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Ok. First of all, you're comparing a 26 year old who has had years to work on his game to a 19 year old, a teenager, still figuring it out and using that as whataboutism. Second of all, who do you think Leo is learning that from? Granted Leo should be learning from Terry why it's not a good idea but it shouldn't surprise anyone that a second overall pick might think that if he works at it he can get really good at it. And he might be right. He's a still developing young player and maybe when he adds more size and strength, he can be more effective at hero-pucking than he is right now. With Terry, he's in his prime right now. If he hasn't been able to excel what he's trying to do, he doesn't really have much room to grow and get better at it.

When he first started breaking out with this team, the big positive was that he added size and strength and learned how to effectively utilize that to get through the offensive zone without getting immediately knocked off the puck. This was useful when we had a guy like Getzlaf who opposing defenses focused on and who was a big body who could make space for Troy. Now that Getzy is gone, he wants to be the Getzlaf-esque bull who has the entire offense run through him but he's not good enough to do that. And after countless failed attempts he looks like he either hasn't been trying to fix the issue or he is trying and doesn't know how. In any case, I don't think it's a good faith retort to point at a rookie still figuring out his game in the NHL to diminish Terry's issues. It's a total red herring.

Edit: I kept replying without reading through the thread first. Covered ground so you can disregard if you want DVM lol.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I strongly disagree with this. Terry is such a puckhog that he makes everyone on his line worse. Z needs to have the puck as much as possible, Terry takes the puck away from Z and is a bad partner for him. MacT is the only center i would pair him with currently. MacT plays a much more touch and go style. However i would perfer MacT to play wing going forward, and keep Z in the middle were he is much better. Terry is a linedriver, even on the wing, so is Z. MacT is not and doesn't mind not having the puck as much.

Edit: I don't hate Terry, i just find him hard to place in the lineup. He's a one-man show, and i don't see it working in the playoffs. That's why i been all for trading him for an uppgrade.

Mac isn't a line driver? Surely you have not been watching games.

Mac's line cycles, knowing full well his linemates are passing the puck around and playing that physical game. Terry isn't his best at cycling nor is he built for it.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad