2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What do y’all think Bertuzzi, Marchessault, Stephenson, and Teräväinen would cost in FA? Not saying they should sign all 4 lol, but what could the term and money look like? I think they should try to sign 2 of those players
Over pay a couple of them for 2 years, maybe they don't get what they're looking for in UFA. No longer than that though, unless for some reason they want to sign a team friendly deal.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
A 4 yr overpayment for a middle 6 wing would be fine.
They need another Rockford Center.

...and something so that KD can look at LR in the face to tell him "we're full at d, no room for tinordi".

Where's Pavelski going? cup hunting or prolonging the career? The guy stays healthy.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Running out and signing 4-5 free agents with 4-5 year commitments is not the answer imo.
Ruling it out isn't the answer either. The cap won't be a problem for several years.

As mentioned above, roster looks pretty close to full. don't think we'll see more than 1 interesting add this summer.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
AND WE HAVE A WINNER IN ONLY 32 STARTS!!

1713554312830.png

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
How about we pump the brakes and give it one more year of growth 1st.
I don’t add any Dmen. jones, Murphy and the kids (Vlasic, Korchinski, EDM) with the next 2 rotating in will be fine.
Up front add 1 more kid to Nazar annd Slaggert and a top 9 starts to form.
Unless you are getting your “Hossa” (Brady T is not that). I’d avoid spending on fillers.
Bedard, Nazar, Slaggert, Kurashev, Kid
Blackwell, Dickinson, Foligno, Donato.
The scrubs (most of whom are ok 4th liners) fill out the roster. As more youth comes along (Moore?) they bump out and guys like Blackwell and Donato bump down.
Also let the goalies cook for 1 more year.
Again be patient until you find your top line Hossa.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Season’s over:
Are you going long or short on Vlasic contract? What’s the price?

Are you going long or short on Reichel contract? What’s the price?

-I go 8 on Vlasic anything under 5.75.
- lowball Reichel in a medium length contract and try to luck out on a bargain if he hits. Maybe 4 years 2 million? Or give him a 1 year min contract. Make him choose. Hawks kind of get to give him a rough ride now if you want to find a silver lining on his atrocious season.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Both obvious upgrades.
Yes they are. I just don't know if Kyle will be aggressive enough to go for either.

Season’s over:

- lowball Reichel in a medium length contract and try to luck out on a bargain if he hits. Maybe 4 years 2 million? Or give him a 1 year min contract. Make him choose. Hawks kind of get to give him a rough ride now if you want to find a silver lining on his atrocious season.
Reichel signs a 1 year, lock up Vlasic long term now

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Season’s over:

Reichel is a bum. He shouldn't get anything more than 1x1.

Vlasic, unless they get him locked in on some insanely cheap 8 year deal, I would just give him a bridge. I have no problem with paying him big bucks in 3 years if he roots himself as a true top pairing D. But you don't want to pay him big bucks now and then in 3 years he falls off a bit.

Reactions: Pertti

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Reichel is a bum. He shouldn't get anything more than 1x1.

Vlasic, unless they get him locked in on some insanely cheap 8 year deal, I would just give him a bridge. I have no problem with paying him big bucks in 3 years if he roots himself as a true top pairing D. But you don't want to pay him big bucks now and then in 3 years he falls off a bit.
Reichel is probably a bum. But there’s like a 15% chance he is a top 6 60 point guy. I toy with rolling the dice he’s a 6.5M guy you’re paying 2M in the first two years of playoff window.

Can we just wink at Vlasic, Pay him one year 12M and then 8 at 3.5M. No ones ever done this but there has to be a way to internally weaponize cap space.

Or offer an FA a max contract for a year Or something stupid. Theres gotta be something to do with these piles of cash now to help you later.

Reactions: HawksDub89

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think you definitely chase 8 years on Vlasic.
There's risk.

Some players just fall off after an impressive year.

I'm all for 8 years, but it depends on the cap hit. You don't want to get burned on an overpay.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
There's risk.

I'm all for 8 years, but it depends on the cap hit. You don't want to get burned on an overpay.
8x5m or 8x6m seems relatively reasonable at this stage, IMO. Especially if you factor in expansion teams, more revenue, and the cap rising over the next 4-5 years. I would do 8x6m and be done with it for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
There's risk.

Definitely risk.. I hear you. I think he's 22 and doesn't have that many pro reps. He's only going to get better.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
8x5m or 8x6m seems relatively reasonable at this stage, IMO. Especially if you factor in expansion teams, more revenue, and the cap rising over the next 4-5 years. I would do 8x6m and be done with it for the foreseeable future.
If it's 8x5 or 8x6, then I'm sold.
Definitely risk.. I hear you. I think he's 22 and doesn't have that many pro reps. He's only going to get better.
I hope so.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Bridge him, extend when he's RFA Arb-Eligible. If he's not a PP QB, he's not going to be that expensive that you need to try and chase a bargain. Give yourself a contingency if this is the best year of his career or he gets hurt. Senators and their 20 "amazing contracts" show the issue that comes from handing every young guy that has a good season a long contract

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
You go 8 years on Vlasic. With the cap moving up, him passing the eye test and analytics, the cap space we have now and the fact he’s gonna be a stud shutdown matchup guy for a decade if not a legit top pair guy. Davidson is a moron if he’s the one who shy away from a long term deal. I would get it from Vlasic agent

For the mess that this year was, the core is starting to crystallize and develop

Bedard. Nazar. Vlasic. Jones.

The hardest pieces to get is a number one C and a top pair. The Hawks have that now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad