Line Combos: 2024-2025 line up

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Mario Armia
Struble - Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux - Barron

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Harris - Honda Civic

Monty
Primeau

Me as coach.
It's funny, but it's also intriguing. Is there even one of our surplus, highly mobile defensemen, who could morph into a forward, despite having not (or barely) played there? I would think that Hutson could make the transition, while still playing QB on the powerplay, and Struble could evolve into a mobile, punishing winger.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's funny, but it's also intriguing. Is there even one of our surplus, highly mobile defensemen, who could morph into a forward, despite having not (or barely) played there? I would think that Hutson could make the transition, while still playing QB on the powerplay, and Struble could evolve into a punishing winger.
I have a fantasy I'd love to see Owen Beck between two Xhekaj's. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: rik schau

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I have a fantasy I'd love to see Owen Beck between two Xhekaj's. :laugh:
I'm loath to take off Wifi though, since he'd go from 20-ish minutes to maybe 12, and the team benefits from having him on the ice during those extra minutes. Maybe play the younger brother with someone like Tuch, although I don't know how the handedness works out. Complement the twin towers with a smaller winger of elite skill and pace, e.g. Mesar if he pans out.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm loath to take off Wifi though, since he'd go from 20-ish minutes to maybe 12, and the team benefits from having him on the ice during those extra minutes. Maybe play the younger brother with someone like Tuch, although I don't know how the handedness works out. Complement the twin towers with a smaller winger of elite skill and pace, e.g. Mesar if he pans out.
I'm talking a preseason farce. :laugh:
Actually all kidding aside I would have already tried Arber as a Rover on PP1.
He'd be a far better bumper than Newhook IMO.
I'm really not sure why we are so fixated with playing 4 forwards on a power play that struggles to stay above 15%.
Particularly with our D being near the top of the league for goals scored.

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'm talking a preseason farce. :laugh:
Actually all kidding aside I would have already tried Arber as a Rover on PP1.
He'd be a far better bumper than Newhook IMO.
I'm really not sure why we are so fixated with playing 4 forwards on a power play that struggles to stay above 15%.
Particularly with our D being near the top for goals scored.
Maybe they could all wear heavy glasses with the bridge taped up. And don't forget the foil.
1711117955867.png

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's funny, but it's also intriguing. Is there even one of our surplus, highly mobile defensemen, who could morph into a forward, despite having not (or barely) played there? I would think that Hutson could make the transition, while still playing QB on the powerplay, and Struble could evolve into a mobile, punishing winger.
You know the one who could possibly benefit most may very well be Justin Barron.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You know the one who could possibly benefit most may very well be Justin Barron.
I'd hate to sell low on him. There is something there, even if he has his warts. I wonder of the Adam Nicholas Lab has given much thought to devising a methodology for converting surplus D with stagnating defensive acumen into punishing wingers with a heavy shot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
Newhook - Dach - [Who be get for WPG 1st or draft 12st, 2nd, or 4th overall]
Roy - Monhan - Lane Hutson
RHP - Evans - Anderson
Gally, Armia

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Barron
Harris or Kovacevic

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Newhook - Dach - Mario Armia
Struble - Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux - Barron

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Harris - Honda Civic

Monty
Primeau

Me as coach.
We have one of the most scoring D in the league, so it makes total sense to make them 3rd and 4th line :)
I just think Struble would be better on faceoffs than Hutson, so I would switch those two.
If it is you, I really enjoy your videos.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Unless we win Celebrini, I don't see much difference with this year's roster compared to next years unless some drastic changes occur (for example one of Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux become a top pairing dman from the get go). Realistically, Dach replaces Monahan and Dvorak replaces White. Then hoping that Caufield and Anderson bounce back goalscoring wise, Slaf/Roy continue to grow but more importantly not slump, and Guhle takes the next step. I am expecting improvement, but we are a bottom 7 team at the moment, and I expect us to be around bottom 12 next year.
There will without a doubt be an external acquisition(s) - at least 1-Dach type move

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Unless we win Celebrini, I don't see much difference with this year's roster compared to next years unless some drastic changes occur (for example one of Hutson/Reinbacher/Mailloux become a top pairing dman from the get go). Realistically, Dach replaces Monahan and Dvorak replaces White. Then hoping that Caufield and Anderson bounce back goalscoring wise, Slaf/Roy continue to grow but more importantly not slump, and Guhle takes the next step. I am expecting improvement, but we are a bottom 7 team at the moment, and I expect us to be around bottom 12 next year.
Hughes has made a relatively big trade every single draft he's been GM. It seems unlikely that we will just stand pat and go into next year with the roster we finish this year with. But it takes two to make a trade so maybe we do stand pat in which case ~12ish is probably a fair prediction. Though Montembeault as the clear starter and playing 50-55 games is going to be an interesting storyline to follow.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Watching last game, we do not need Zegras. We need Zebras, at least fair treatment from them.

Habs need to add some grit up front yes but don't confuse yourself, we need skill as well. We need guys like Dach and Slaf to fill into their frames a bit more. That will come. Roy can be a little gritty as well. I lost hope in Anderson playing to his potential in the power game. Suzuki is a well rounded center and Dach will be too. That's the key... especially up the middle. Dach going down after 2 or 3 games was a big deal in terms of what you seen lacking last night.

Pains of a rebuild... youth take time to mature and get into their prime years. Especially in the physical areas of the game. What you need is one power player on each line with skill added to it.

Adding Zegras to this roster should not be ignored because we also want grit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I thought that about Barron when he was with the Mooseheads as well. He has the size/skating/heavy shot package but I don't think his vision is the greatest. When he is rushing the ice, he tends to have his head down while he focuses on moving the puck as fast as he can. I think that works better for a forward vs a D man.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
There will without a doubt be an external acquisition(s) - at least 1-Dach type move

Hughes has made a relatively big trade every single draft he's been GM. It seems unlikely that we will just stand pat and go into next year with the roster we finish this year with. But it takes two to make a trade so maybe we do stand pat in which case ~12ish is probably a fair prediction. Though Montembeault as the clear starter and playing 50-55 games is going to be an interesting storyline to follow.
Not really sure where we would have the roster room unless we somehow trade Anderson and/or buyout Gallagher. I don't think we will add a dman either.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not really sure where we would have the roster room unless we somehow trade Anderson and/or buyout Gallagher. I don't think we will add a dman either.
Roster room is not an issue on a bottom five team.

Gallagher has a full no-move clause, but it does not include press box protection. He has a big incentive to earn his playing time for his pride. Good for him if he is successful, but he is not guaranteed one of the 12 starting forward spots, just a spot on the 23-man squad.

As far as I am concerned, here are the ONLY players guaranteed a spot in the top-12F:
  • Suzuki
  • Caufield
  • Slafkovsky
  • Dach
  • Newhook
  • Evans
Gallagher is a lock for one of the remaining 8 places.

These players are competing for the 7 spots left (bottom 6 and 13th/14th F) in my order of preference:
  • Armia (final year of contract)
  • Roy (waiver-exempt)
  • Anderson
  • Dvorak (final year of contract)
  • RHP (buriable)
  • Pezzetta (buriable)
  • Ylonen (buriable and also might not be qualified)
In my opinion we have room for 3 new starters replacing the bottom three with zero cap buried.

The three are:
  • a clear top 6 forward who pushes Evans to the bottom six
  • a 3C capable of being a 2C if necessary, ensuring Evans is on the 4th line
  • another middle six winger capable of pushing Armia and Anderson down to the 4th line
If they are available for a fair contract as UFAs, or in a fair trade, the three new players could be players of the following calibre:
  • Zegras
  • Monahan
  • Toffoli
Roy with his smart game could complement Zegras and Dach who provide skill and a high level of skating ability.

Newhook could bring his speed to an amazing third line with Monahan and Toffoli. This would even be a good second line on most teams.

Evans and Armia would be accompanied on the fourth line and special teams by the best of Gallagher, Anderson or Dvorak, the losers gracing the pressbox when there are no injuries. If Armia should happen to go AWOL again (I doubt it, though), there are capable NHL bodies to replace him. RHP with his contract would probably survive waivers and be available in case of injuries, or be the last forward if one of the other bottom five can be traded.

The following year, there will be another three roster spots open to replace Evans, Armia, and Dvorak. After the necessary raises to Slaf, Guhle and Primeau, there would also be cap room for a strong new D if the three forward spots could be filled internally between:
  • Beck
  • Heineman
  • Farrell
  • Mesar
  • Kapanen
  • Tuch

Last edited:
Reactions: waitin425

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Gallagher has a full no-move clause, but it does not include press box protection. He has a big incentive to earn his playing time for his pride. Good for him if he is successful, but he is not guaranteed one of the 12 starting forward spots, just a spot on the 23-man squad.

As far as I am concerned, here are the ONLY players guaranteed a spot in the top-12F:
  • Suzuki
  • Caufield
  • Slafkovsky
  • Dach
  • Newhook
  • Evans

These players are competing for the 7 spots left (bottom 6 and 13th/14th F) in my order of preference:
  • Roy (waiver-exempt)
  • Anderson
  • RHP (buriable)
  • Pezzetta (buriable)
In my opinion we have room for 3 new starters replacing the bottom three with zero cap buried.

Three three are:
  • another middle six winger capable of pushing Anderson down to the 4th line
If they are available for a fair contract as UFAs, or in a fair trade, the three oplayers could be players of the following calibre:
  • Zegras
  • Monahan
  • Toffoli
Roy wsith his smart game could complement Zegras and Dach who provide skill and a high level of skating ability.

Newhook could bring his speed to an amazing third line with Monahan and Toffoli. This would even be a good second line on most teams.

Evans and Armia would be accompanied on the fourth line and special teams by the better of Anderson or Dvorak, the loser joining Gally in the pressbox when there are no injuries. If Armia should happen to go AWOL again (I doubt it, though), there are capable NHL bodies to replace him.

The following year, there will be another three roster spots open to replace Evans, Armia, and Dvorak. After the necessay raises to Slaf, Guhle and Primeau, there would also be cap room for a strong new D if the three forward spots could be filled internally between:
  • Beck
  • Heineman
  • Farrell
  • Mesar
  • Kapanen
  • Tuch

Very interesting way of looking at it.

If we brought in 3 new players, and burried Pez, RHP, and Ylonen, that would mean two of Armia, Anderson, Gally, and Dvo would be healthy scratches (or one if Roy is sent down) when we have a fully healthy lineup. For sure I love that idea. I'm just not sure if MSL would scratch two of those vets regularly.

Also, I want to give RHP another shot.

As for the 3 forwards we bring in. I would like it to be Monahan for sure. And for sure a young player like Zegras. Then for the vet, I don't know if Hughes would go for a vet like Toffoli that can't be here long term (too slow to last much longer). Maybe Duclair? He's starting to produce again. He seems to be a complimentary player that can produce with good players. He might be a rather inexpensive guy to have in the middle six on a 3 or 4 year deal. He'll be 29 when his contract starts. I'd prefer getting him at ages 29, 30, and 31. He might start to decline at 32 and we don't want bad contracts in 3 years when we're going to try to win. But anyways, we'll see with a bigger sample size.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

• Suzuki
  • Caufield
  • Slafkovsky
  • Dach
  • Newhook
  • Evans

• Roy (waiver-exempt)
  • Anderson
  • RHP (buriable)
  • Pezzetta (buriable)

The three are:
  • another middle six winger capable of pushing Armia and Anderson down to the 4th line
If they are available for a fair contract as UFAs, or in a fair trade, the three new players could be players of the following calibre:
  • Zegras
  • Monahan
  • Toffoli
Roy with his smart game could complement Zegras and Dach who provide skill and a high level of skating ability.

Evans and Armia would be accompanied on the fourth line and special teams by the better of Anderson or Dvorak, the loser joining Gally in the pressbox when there are no injuries. If Armia should happen to go AWOL again (I doubt it, though), there are capable NHL bodies to replace him. RHP eith his contract would probably survie waivers and be available in case of injuries, or be the last forward if one of the other bottom four can be traded.

The following year, there will be another three roster spots open to replace Evans, Armia, and Dvorak. After the necessay raises to Slaf, Guhle and Primeau, there would also be cap room for a strong new D if the three forward spots could be filled internally between:
  • Beck
  • Heineman
  • Farrell
  • Mesar
  • Kapanen
  • Tuch
Agree with everything. Want to put Roy in that group at the top, but he is likely still fighting.

The last group, you can include...Demi/Lindstrom/Catton/Iginla/Eiserman/Helenius

Reactions: BaseballCoach

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Very interesting way of looking at it.

If we brought in 3 new players, and burried Pez, RHP, and Ylonen, that would mean two of Armia, Anderson, Gally, and Dvo would be healthy scratches (or one if Roy is sent down) when we have a fully healthy lineup. For sure I love that idea. I'm just not sure if MSL would scratch two of those vets regularly.

He's already done it with Armia. This also assumes no one is injured and no one is traded.
If we trade even just one of these guys, injuries will probbly ensure that none of the vets are scratched for long.

Also, I want to give RHP another shot.

We can always bury a vet other than Gallagher and it costs nothing on the cap if he is replaced by RHP.

As for the 3 forwards we bring in. I would like it to be Monahan for sure. And for sure a young player like Zegras. Then for the vet, I don't know if Hughes would go for a vet like Toffoli that can't be here long term (too slow to last much longer). Maybe Duclair? He's starting to produce again. He seems to be a complimentary player that can produce with good players. He might be a rather inexpensive guy to have in the middle six on a 3 or 4 year deal. He'll be 29 when his contract starts. I'd prefer getting him at ages 29, 30, and 31. He might start to decline at 32 and we don't want bad contracts in 3 years when we're going to try to win. But anyways, we'll see with a bigger sample size.

We could go for someone younger than Toffoli but I would want that player to be able to score goals and cost no more than around $5M - while being good for the locker room, too.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's already done it with Armia. This also assumes no one is injured and no one is traded.
If we trade even just one of these guys, injuries will probbly ensure that none of the vets are scratched for long.

We can always bury a vet other than Gallagher and it costs nothing on the cap if he is replaced by RHP.

We could go for someone younger than Toffoli but I would want that player to be able to score goals and cost no more than around $5M - while being good for the locker room, too.
He did it with Armia, but then inevitably Armia was back in the top 12. I don't see one, or even more unlikely, two of Anderson, Armia, Dvo, and Gally being healthy scratched. Not after watching Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Pearson, etc... get so much ice time.

BUT I could see Hughes using our last retention spot to move out Dvo or Armia, if we were able to bring in the 3 types of players you mention. In fact, he could then even add a 3rd for someone to take Dvo or Armia without retention, to get rid of both of them - Dvo if we were lucky enough to bring Monahan back as 3c. Or, you could move Evans for a pick and have Dvo as 4c.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad