WJC: 2023 World Juniors (Novosibirsk & Omsk) with 11 Teams

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I would prefer a 12-team formula like the Olympic tournament without this unnecessary qualifying round but with classification games.

Everyone would play 5-6 games but weak teams would have fewer games to play against the better teams.

Cahokia

Sep 24, 2021
If they aren't relegating, I think the ideal scenario is to promote the second place Division I team (In this case Latvia) and run a 12-team tournament under basically the same format. That way, you avoid the silliness of trying to divide 11 teams into two groups, and you avoid having to significantly change with the tournament format when the host is already set up for two groups in separate cities.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
just make it 16 teams like the senior wc. there is enough quality.

belarus, latvia, norway, denmark, kazakshan and france.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
What they could do is to place the big five (USA, Canada, Russia, Finland and Sweden) in the same group and guarantee all those five teams from that group a spot in the quaterfinal after group stage. Then the six rest can fight for three quarterfinal spots, and the bottom two teams in this group will be relegated. Same thing as they do in womens olympics tournament since the gap is so huge.

That way you get more even games in the group stage, and avoid blowouts and still three qf spots to fight for in the group with six teams.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
just make it 16 teams like the senior wc. there is enough quality.

belarus, latvia, norway, denmark, kazakshan and france.

Seriously this would be cannon fodder but why not let Canada and the USA bring 2 teams, sure would have helped the USA this year.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
What they could do is to place the big five (USA, Canada, Russia, Finland and Sweden) in the same group and guarantee all those five teams from that group a spot in the quaterfinal after group stage. Then the six rest can fight for three quarterfinal spots, and the bottom two teams in this group will be relegated. Same thing as they do in womens olympics tournament since the gap is so huge.

That way you get more even games in the group stage, and avoid blowouts and still three qf spots to fight for in the group with six teams.
And you could have a team with a losing record winning Gold.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

This is the most sensible plan I’ve seen so far.

Reactions: Rob

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I imagine this will also be played in a bubble with the next variant that will come.

Been dreaming of this for 4 years to go. I don't think Canadians can even go to Russia as of right now, who knows in 2022 even.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I imagine this will also be played in a bubble with the next variant that will come.

Been dreaming of this for 4 years to go. I don't think Canadians can even go to Russia as of right now, who knows in 2022 even.

Well, Russians went to Canada. I'm sure it can't go any worse for Canadians in Russia.

Reactions: wacko2

Kajoo72

Dec 29, 2021
Bratislava
11 teams, everyone plays everyone, then the top 2 play a final game?
Similar format been used for World Championships back in 1980s. Back then, Worlds were just one host-city tournament, circulating in same cities for decades, with interest and attendance inevitable falling down. Everyone hated to play in empty Wiener Stadthalle once in a decade. Finally in late 80s co-hosting the tournament gave a chance to smaller towns to participate (Sodertslje, Fribourg) which turned out to be much needed boost to tournament and organisers never looked back. 2 cities format not only opened the doors to smaller towns, but also allowed to change format by splitting teams into groups, and also set a foundation for future expansions or even co-hosting by 2 different countries.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Similar format been used for World Championships back in 1980s. Back then, Worlds were just one host-city tournament, circulating in same cities for decades, with interest and attendance inevitable falling down. Everyone hated to play in empty Wiener Stadthalle once in a decade. Finally in late 80s co-hosting the tournament gave a chance to smaller towns to participate (Sodertslje, Fribourg) which turned out to be much needed boost to tournament and organisers never looked back. 2 cities format not only opened the doors to smaller towns, but also allowed to change format by splitting teams into groups, and also set a foundation for future expansions or even co-hosting by 2 different countries.

I also think that groups and a playoff type of round adds more excitement to the tournament so I doubt they would go back to the everyone plays everyone, then top 2 play in a final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad