WJC: 2023 World Juniors (Novosibirsk & Omsk) with 11 Teams

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The IIHF Council has voted that no team will be relegated from the 2022 IIHF World Junior Championship that will begin today in Edmonton and Red Deer, Canada to safeguard the sportive integrity of the competition in the light of the extraordinary Covid-related circumstances.

Due to Belarus gaining promotion after winning the 2022 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship Division I Group A earlier this month, the 2023 IIHF World Junior Championship will be played with 11 teams with the aim of going back to 10 teams for the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Uhhhh that's going to be a scheduling issue. 6 teams in 1 pool requires 5 more games. They can put 3 games in 1 day for 1 pool no problem but making every team in 1 pool play 5 games in 6 days while the others get an extra day off seems not great.

As long as they don't do something stupid like make the 10th place team this year play Belarus in a 3 games series before Christmas to be in the main pool. If they're calling it an 11 team tournament is should be an 11 team tournament not a 10 team tournament where 2 teams have to play in for the final spot.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Does this mean no relegation series this year? I would assume if it doesn't matter it doesn't get played, but if they haven't decided on the implementation next year they might play it anyway in case.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Stupid move. They should make it with 12 teams, if they don't want any relegation this year. Uneven number of teams in groups always means problem with the schedule, plus it makes the entire tournament a bit unfair.

Reactions: bbfan419

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Austria be like:

popping-bubbley-bubbles.gif

Reactions: Smif

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Stupid move. They should make it with 12 teams, if they don't want any relegation this year. Uneven number of teams in groups always means problem with the schedule, plus it makes the entire tournament a bit unfair.
I'm just happy we don't have to worry about relegation.lol

Reactions: wetcoast and Smif

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Although the Germans are in danger of relegation - this is a dumb move.

Lets get back to normalcy.

At the very least even it up and promote two teams and have two teams relegated next season.

They'll have to relegate 2 teams next year regardless. If they went to 12 teams they'd have to relegate 3. Which is fine, probably the best solution.

I don't really get what problem they're trying to solve though. Last year it was because the Division 1 was cancelled. They mentioned on TSN it's because they're afraid of someone getting relegated because of forfeits from a covid outbreak. Then why not cross that bridge when they get there? Announce that there will be 11 teams next year if someone gets screwed by covid forcing them to be relegated by forfeit. I don't know why we have to solve a problem we don't even know will exist yet.

Are the Swiss issues with covid worse behind the scenes than we're aware? And we find out tomorrow that they're not going to be able to play at all?

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
You would need to relegate 3 to allow for the division 1 winner to be promoted.
I was in favour of 12 teams but then I realize that 3 would have to be relegated. Imagine that little relegation round robin at the end where 3/4 teams playing are sent down. I do not know how they will fairly do an 11 team tournament though.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I would rather put 12 teams (Latvia was 2nd in Div I so they would be added) and put the tournament in the same format as Olympics have now. Could actually be done in the same number of days as now. Olympics have 12 days but bronze medal game and final are on different days so 11 is doable much like WJC is now.

Those four who get knocked out in preliminary playoff round would then play two extra rounds of playouts. On the first games, losers will be relegated, the winners would play one more game to qualify for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad