Prospect Info: 2023 World Junior Championship

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Part of Zells problem on the PP is that Bedard likes taking the puck away from him at the top. Gotta work out those kinks before you do it for real in The Show, fellas

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That goal was all on zellweger. Had time and turned it over and then lost his man back to the crease.

Reactions: Kalv

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Can’t help but feel Gaucher is the recipient of a little too much criticism rn. I thought he played a decent tournament.

I would not be surprised at all if he had an injury in the final 2-3 games. He looked off compared to early in the tournament.

Zellweger was amazing. He led that D for the entire tournament. Really hope he can make the transition to a stronger game.

Hinds impressed me a TON. I actually think he has a solid middle pairing potential as a stay-at-home guy in the NHL. Pair that with the Zellwegers/Drysdale/Mintys we have and I am super bullish on our prospect group on the backend. Thats without even considering Thrun/Lacombe, who could very well be on their way out.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Bedard scoreless in the finals. I think he will have
I would not be surprised at all if he had an injury in the final 2-3 games. He looked off compared to early in the tournament.

Zellweger was amazing. He led that D for the entire tournament. Really hope he can make the transition to a stronger game.

Hinds impressed me a TON. I actually think he has a solid middle pairing potential as a stay-at-home guy in the NHL. Pair that with the Zellwegers/Drysdale/Mintys we have and I am super bullish on our prospect group on the backend. Thats without even considering Thrun/Lacombe, who could very well be on their way out.
Yeah, Zell played nearly half a game in the past few games. But I think he was prone to be pushed around even at this level.

Hinds to me cleared clear top4 DD potential. Really large frame skates well, and is smart in his own zone. Actually has a decent bomb of a shot as well. I think less physical, but better-decision Manson could be a comparison if all goes well.

Gaucher, not sure, I think he was underwhelming the whole tournament and even going back to his Q highlights. I question what kind of a shutdown center he can be if he cannot sustain the puck in the offensive zone much. Seems that he just has to play defense because he is very one-dimensional in the offensive zone. Sure he can hit, but reminds a lot of Jones. I think he will need some seasoning in the AHL, but to me he's ways away to prove he's better than Groulx or Jones.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Canada has very few forwards eligible to return, and even fewer that will actually be back. Fantilli and Beck if they don't make the NHL, the rest will be all new faces.

Looking at the the way they like to construct their rosters, and with his previous u18 experience plus growth he's shown this season - I'm going to go ahead and predict that Connor Hvidston will be on the team next year.

Similar story on the back end, Canada only has Korchinski eligible to return. Luneau and Warren should be firmly in the mix.

Korchinski - Lamoureux
Mateychuk - Warren
Pickering - Luneau
Kyrou

^ Earliest drafted Canadian D that would be in their final year of eligibility

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Canada has very few forwards eligible to return, and even fewer that will actually be back. Fantilli and Beck if they don't make the NHL, the rest will be all new faces.

Looking at the the way they like to construct their rosters, and with his previous u18 experience plus growth he's shown this season - I'm going to go ahead and predict that Connor Hvidston will be on the team next year.

Similar story on the back end, Canada only has Korchinski eligible to return. Luneau and Warren should be firmly in the mix.

Korchinski - Lamoureux
Mateychuk - Warren
Pickering - Luneau
Kyrou

Just FYI - Kyrou is an 03 born player (in fact he is only 5 days younger than Zellweger). Won't be eligible next year.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Bedard scoreless in the finals. I think he will have

Yeah, Zell played nearly half a game in the past few games. But I think he was prone to be pushed around even at this level.

Hinds to me cleared clear top4 DD potential. Really large frame skates well, and is smart in his own zone. Actually has a decent bomb of a shot as well. I think less physical, but better-decision Manson could be a comparison if all goes well.

Gaucher, not sure, I think he was underwhelming the whole tournament and even going back to his Q highlights. I question what kind of a shutdown center he can be if he cannot sustain the puck in the offensive zone much. Seems that he just has to play defense because he is very one-dimensional in the offensive zone. Sure he can hit, but reminds a lot of Jones. I think he will need some seasoning in the AHL, but to me he's ways away to prove he's better than Groulx or Jones.
I was very surprised also at how slow his skating was. I can understand why the organization assigned a skating coach for him. He is probably a below average NHL level skater based upon the games I watched (which was all of them). His puck skills are below NHL average for a forward and I don't see a lot of further development after 4 years of junior hockey. He does seem to be a combination of Groulx and Jones at this point. I'll stick with my earlier prediction of Derek Grant.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

You mean like Hampus-lite? I don't know if many players have Lindholm's endurance level, though.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
You mean like Hampus-lite? I don't know if many players have Lindholm's endurance level, though.
Maybe, yeah. I'd give Hinds advantage on speed, but he's probably not as good defensively and offensively.

Btw, Hinds has a really large frame, it seems he's still growing into it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Part of Zells problem on the PP is that Bedard likes taking the puck away from him at the top. Gotta work out those kinks before you do it for real in The Show, fellas
I thought the set up was bad for canada on powerplay.

Bedard always worked up top to zellwegers strong side, so zellweger always slid down a bit to his offside... i acutally think clarke woulda been better on that unit, and let zellweger run unit 2

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Korchinski - Lamoureux
Mateychuk - Warren
Pickering - Luneau
Kyrou

Would love to see Luneau in this tournament... hes the prospect behind Mintyukov and dostal that im most excited about. I think Luneau is going to end up a big steal for us w/ that pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00