Prospect Info: 2023 WJC

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Isn't that what you already do? :sarcasm:
It's what I dream of, Soup. It's what I dream of.

Actually, I am heading up to the Twin Cities in two weeks for my annual "play hockey outside all day and drink all night" 4-day trip with a bunch of buddies. So yeah, I guess I do kinda do that already.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
From a Wings point of view it's definitely super lame.

It's fast paced, high intensity, tons of scoring chances, it's some of the most entertaining hockey you can watch. Way better than mid-season NHL.

Really great opportunity to get to see the upcoming draft eligible side-by-side and also against some of the +1 drafted players.

I get some people are casual fans / NHL only / Red Wings only fans but dang you guys are missing out on some great hockey.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
What a bronze medal game between USA and Sweden. If you can't find entertainment from that, then I question if it's really hockey you like, or if it's just a brand you follow.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
In the end, even with the lack of Wings prospects, I guess it was exciting enough for me to feel the need to go talk smack on the main boards after a night of drinking, which I rarely do (talk smack, not drink). So it had that going for it!

Solid tourney by Red, could easily see him on a bottom 6 line in the future.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
US got jobbed in the semifinals on that 1st disallowed goal. Still don’t understand why it didn’t count. Soft.

Took all the momentum out of their sails.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
US got jobbed in the semifinals on that 1st disallowed goal. Still don’t understand why it didn’t count. Soft.

Took all the momentum out of their sails.
Both disallowed goals should have counted to me. Really made that game less enjoyable. Not saying US would have won, but the officiating absolutely knew-capped them.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Both disallowed goals should have counted to me. Really made that game less enjoyable. Not saying US would have won, but the officiating absolutely knew-capped them.
The second dissallowed goal is without a doubt not a good goal. The puck is trapped under the goalie's pad and the us' player spears his pad, pushing the goalie and the puck into the net. Pretty cut and dry no goal, I have no idea how anybody can even vaguely suggest otherwise.

The first goal should have stood but from what I understand it's a IIHF rule that when the us player spin around in the crease he brought the puck out of the crease meaning he's obligated to leave the crease which he obviously did not.

As a sidenote and a Canadian I was hoping for a hattrick of disallowed goals and the more egregious the better. The salt on the main thread was so beautiful.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The second dissallowed goal is without a doubt not a good goal. The puck is trapped under the goalie's pad and the us' player spears his pad, pushing the goalie and the puck into the net. Pretty cut and dry no goal, I have no idea how anybody can even vaguely suggest otherwise.

The first goal should have stood but from what I understand it's a IIHF rule that when the us player spin around in the crease he brought the puck out of the crease meaning he's obligated to leave the crease which he obviously did not.

As a sidenote and a Canadian I was hoping for a hattrick of disallowed goals and the more egregious the better. The salt on the main thread was so beautiful.
By IIHF rule, yeah, the second goal is not a goal (although the explanation from the officials had to do with interference, not what you describe above, so even then it's still questionable to me). But I was speaking more generally, about the sport of hockey. The first goal is a good goal in every universe. The second goal is a good goal in most universes, including the NHL half the time (the Avs scored a near-identical goal about a week ago, and it was allowed). That puck may be under the pad, but if it's not secure, and you can see it, it's still game. Poke it in. If the goalie's leg pad happens to move with it, oh well.

As a sidenote and a hockey fan, hoping for disallowed goals is..... weird? I don't get it. Even against teams I despise, internationally, in the NHL, in college, wherever, I want the integrity of the game to remain intact. I don't want officials screwing my team, because obviously, and I don't want them screwing the other team because I don't want a tainted win. Strange thing to hope for.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
By IIHF rule, yeah, the second goal is not a goal (although the explanation from the officials had to do with interference, not what you describe above, so even then it's still questionable to me). But I was speaking more generally, about the sport of hockey. The first goal is a good goal in every universe. The second goal is a good goal in most universes, including the NHL half the time (the Avs scored a near-identical goal about a week ago, and it was allowed). That puck may be under the pad, but if it's not secure, and you can see it, it's still game. Poke it in. If the goalie's leg pad happens to move with it, oh well.

As a sidenote and a hockey fan, hoping for disallowed goals is..... weird? I don't get it. Even against teams I despise, internationally, in the NHL, in college, wherever, I want the integrity of the game to remain intact. I don't want officials screwing my team, because obviously, and I don't want them screwing the other team because I don't want a tainted win. Strange thing to hope for

I dont get this logic at all. All I want is for the game to be called right. I dont care about making the game more interesting for the sake of it. It's incredible unfair for the team in the league.

The second goal is not a good goal in any universe, if the Avs scored a near-identical goal, sounds like the other team got hosed. Two wrongs dont make a right.

Thirdly I was playing the heel purely for comedic effect seeing a third disallowed goal would have been hilarious, as the americans coping and seething in the main thread was pathetic.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Red finishes with 3 Goals 3 Assists and was a +2 in 7 Games
That exceeds my expectations from him. Also pretty encouraging they chose him over someone like Will Smith. He played like he wanted to prove he belonged.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
It's objectively bad hockey when it is compared to the NHL. You're welcome to enjoy what you enjoy, but don't try to tell us an Outback Steakhouse ribeye is the same as filet mignon.

Just the same as college football objectively being a worse sport than pro football when it comes to level of play. You can like it for many other reasons, but seriously, the quality of play is not the same.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
It's objectively bad hockey when it is compared to the NHL. You're welcome to enjoy what you enjoy, but don't try to tell us an Outback Steakhouse ribeye is the same as filet mignon.

Just the same as college football objectively being a worse sport than pro football when it comes to level of play. You can like it for many other reasons, but seriously, the quality of play is not the same.
It's comparatively amazing hockey when you consider that these are TEENAGERS....they are the best of the best at what they do in their age groups. Much more exciting than boring trap hockey with 4th line scrubs who constantly miss wide open nets....

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad