Prospect Info: 2023 WJC

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I just can't do lower tier hockey. Tried watching some of the summer WJC when Ed was there. It's just all around bad hockey. The kind of hockey that made me stop watching the Wings for a few years.
I've certainly heard this refrain before, about lower tier hockey. I'm a college hockey fan after all, and most of the guys I skate with don't follow the WJC much. But I guess I just can't relate. It's bad hockey only relative to certain other types of hockey. As a standalone product that includes the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world, I find it plenty entertaining.

Last edited:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Pretty annoying that NHLN isn't showing the Sweden-Finland game right now, because they've opted to show morning pre-game coverage of outdoor game #718 instead.

Reactions: Hughes Hefner
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
People really don't care about this years WJC, eh?
Honestly, I usually love this tournament. As a Canadian, it has been a holiday tradition of mine for years, but this year just hasn't had the same excitement for me because of the lack of Wings prospects. I'm still watching every Canada game, Bedard is so nasty, but the tournament as a whole hasn't been overly exciting for me.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
It's certainly less exciting without as many Wings prospects, but I'm still into it enough to watch.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Savage with his second of the game. Nice execution on an odd-man rush during the PK.

Reactions: Murmansk16A

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Good to see Savage producing today.

But games like this hurt the credibility of the tournament and might be part of the reason interest is down.

It’s bad enough in the round robin… but it’s the quarterfinals now and teams are still getting blown out by 10+ goals.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good to see Savage producing today.

But games like this hurt the credibility of the tournament and might be part of the reason interest is down.

It’s bad enough in the round robin… but it’s the quarterfinals now and teams are still getting blown out by 10+ goals.
I am not here to turn this political, but the implications of this tournament without Russia for however long this happens is what we are talking about. Honestly you have seen the best Czechia team in some time and I think this is the best Slovakia team since the miracle run in 2015.

I appreciate this tournament for what it is, but it is going to be weakened when one of the heavyweights is not there. Hockey also isn't a deep sport internationally, I can want it to be, but the hurdles for actually seeing it are significant. I love the strides Germany is making for instance, but it is going to take some time and it is a niche sport even if we love it dearly.

Savage has a ton of lower line intangibles, he skates well and reads the game well. While I don't think he has a ton of offense at the pro level, he makes a lot of winning plays. I am curious to see how he keeps developing, but he is basically the player they talked about on draft night and he keeps taking steps. What you want at this point.

EDIT: Wow I didn't realize that Czechia hadn't won a medal since 2005, maybe I am looking at the wrong thing, honestly stunned by that, they are far better at the Men's level.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I am not here to turn this political, but the implications of this tournament without Russia for however long this happens is what we are talking about. Honestly you have seen the best Czechia team in some time and I think this is the best Slovakia team since the miracle run in 2015.

I appreciate this tournament for what it is, but it is going to be weakened when one of the heavyweights is not there. Hockey also isn't a deep sport internationally, I can want it to be, but the hurdles for actually seeing it are significant. I love the strides Germany is making for instance, but it is going to take some time and it is a niche sport even if we love it dearly.

Savage has a ton of lower line intangibles, he skates well and reads the game well. While I don't think he has a ton of offense at the pro level, he makes a lot of winning plays. I am curious to see how he keeps developing, but he is basically the player they talked about on draft night and he keeps taking steps. What you want at this point.

EDIT: Wow I didn't realize that Czechia hadn't won a medal since 2005, maybe I am looking at the wrong thing, honestly stunned by that, they are far better at the Men's level.
Tournament will be much better if we have 2USA and 2 Canadian teams. I don't believe it is ever happened

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I’m a hockey fan, so I’m into the WJC.

I've certainly heard this refrain before, about lower tier hockey. I'm a college hockey fan after all, and most of the guys I skate with don't follow the WJC much. But I guess I just can't relate. It's bad hockey only relative to certain other types of hockey. As a standalone product that includes the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world, I find it plenty entertaining.
It is the most entertaining hockey in the world in my opinion. It is an age group that is old enough to play genuinely quick, fast hockey, yet there is still plenty of space in which skill players may operate. More importantly, these kids aren't beat to death with systems-heavy coaching. As a result, you see a lot of mistakes, but you also see a lot of wide open, offensively exciting hockey...which oddly enough is what everyone was clamoring for during the "low event years."

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Great goal by Bedard. I give him as much credit for the moves as I do him identifying that all three Slovaks were tired and flat-footed. He knew he’d have enough space to do what he did.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Yeah, I dont see how you can be a fan of hockey in general and not be in awe of games like that. These are KIDS and they can put on a show to bring you out of your seat. I love that you can never count a team out in these games as well. Yeah, you can get the laughers (which wouldnt be as frequent if they let Russia back in) but you also get the crazy, down by 3 goals with 5 min to play comeback craziness as well with this tourney. The historic OT winner by a potential generational player is just the cherry on top. I havent posted much because ive been playing catch up between actual holiday gatherings, college bowl games, and the Lions...but Ive been trying to watch as much as i can of this, regardless of Wings prospects or not.

Reactions: 13to40

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

and hey it could always be worse, Japan has been in this tournament before

and the Mens tournament has more teams so routinely has the likes of Great Britain , Italy ,France, South Korea etc

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This has been an excellent tournament this year. The skill and pace has been exciting and its been an absolute treat watching connor bedard dominate and set multiple records.

Not really.

Russia missing makes the gap differencies between most teams too big. Overall tournament level is weak.
Not being excited at all of Bedard crushing weak hockey countries by 6-7 points.
But, have been excited when Bedard has being killing good hockey countries like Sweden or Slovakia with his individual effort.
Bedards has been fun to watch, but no so much excited, because we (DET) don't have any chance to draft him.
Finland has been pretty bad, thanks to worse coach + worse class.

Canada looks weak, if you take Bedard's effort out. Other guys are mostly just watchers.

USA will probably win if Bedard is not on GOD mode against them. Best team.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
By far my favourite hockey to watch every year. The passion displayed by the kids is second to none. They are all playing for their potential future and for the flag on their crest.

Sure the hockey is rough around the edges at time. Sure there are some landslide games, but every game can be an upset. One minute you’re up by 3 and the next the game swings against you and you’re heading into the locker room knocked out of the tournament.

Canada v USA will be one heck of a game to watch, this should have probably been the final game of the tournament, but it’ll be fun to watch nonetheless

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
People really don't care about this years WJC, eh?
I'm all about it. I want to see the next generations of pros. Plus it has the intrigue of playing for your nation rather than a club. It's my second favorite event to the Frozen Four.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad