GDT: 2023 Upper Deck NHL Draft: 1st Round, June 28, 7 p.m. et | ESPN, SN, TVAS: Nashville, TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We'll have a GDT then a PGT for both the 1st day (1st Round), and the 2nd day with Rounds 2-7 (June 29th).

The 2nd day is being televised: NHLN, SN & TVAS are showing it. It starts at 11 a.m.

Draft won't be as exciting without the #31 & #37 picks. It's a long wait from pick #5 to pick #69.

Montreal met with Michkov today, and things appear to have gone well.

Screenshot_20230627_221333_Brave.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

Not the same situation at all. The only real reason people don't want Michkov is risk-aversion, not an underwhelming season. Plus Wright started with a massive lead in star power compared to the other guys who were unknown, whereas most guys this year are on par. There were no "Pain For Shane" campaign throughout the year to pick Michkov.

As for myself personally, I was on the fence. Ultimately chose Wright, but I had no strong opinion. I fully support the Slaf pick to this day.

This is different. Very, very different.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Not the same situation at all. The only real reason people don't want Michkov is risk-aversion, not an underwhelming season. Plus Wright started with a massive lead in star power compared to the other guys who were unknown, whereas most guys this year are on par. There were no "Pain For Shane" campaign throughout the year to pick Michkov.

As for myself personally, I was on the fence. Ultimately chose Wright, but I had no strong opinion. I fully support the Slaf pick to this day.

This is different. Very, very different.
Habs brass picked Slaf in their building when 80% of the fanbase wanted Wright. I think its safe to say they dont care about what the fans think.

Last edited:

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Michkov is the superstar we've all been waiting for.

To think we might pass on him, is an horror story.
Is only be completely fine with passing on him if some freak thing like Columbus drafts Smith, sharks draft Leonard and Habs take Carlsson. At least you're pretty much guaranteed a 1st liner

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Here we are, according to this board, here are the most likely to get picked 5th OV by the Hans.

Habs brass picked Slaf in their building when 80% of the fanbase wanted Wright. I think its safe to say they dont care about what the fans think.

Did I ever said the brass cared what the fans thought?

I said Michkov is what the people want.

Wright was a propaganda campaign. Almost a cult of personality.

People want Michkov because he's the most talented player of the bunch, not because of hype. Do you disagree with that assertion of Michkov's talent?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
100% expecting it to be traded down.
Philly, Preds, Caps and Detroit are on my radar.
That’s been and continues to be my take since the prior thread unless one of the top 4 centres slips to 5OA.

Hughes can certainly surprise.

Reactions: habsfan891

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Richer was everything you want in a player. 6’4 220, TO THIS DAY the best slap shot I’ve ever seen. He should’ve been an all time scorer. Unfortunately, mental health issues got in the way.

Anyways, the fact that we have to go back to the 70s or 80s to discuss elite forwards really underscores how badly we’ve done in that front. We always focused on what the player couldn’t do.

Galchenyuk for example should’ve been a really good scorer. He was always going to be a one way player and had warts for sure. But he could’ve been productive. Instead we misused him so badly because he wasn’t Brendan Prust (while at the same time played an infinitely inferior player with the same flaws.)

We’ve been so wrong headed for so long. I hope it changes going forward. Caufield has a chance to be a perpetual 50 goal scorer. Hopefully that happens and hopefully we land another one now.

For the record, I’d take Mitch if he was available and that’s what I think we’ll do if he is. We’ll see. It’d be incredible to have TWO 50 goal scorers in the lineup at the same time.
Like you, I’m old enough to have seen Richer’s career. I remember Serge Savard as DG complaining to media that it’s almost impossible to get elite players because of the draft system that was not that old at the time.

We’ve never had a crack at a player like this in 50 years. And they might pass? . If they’re dumb it’s better to be really really dumb. I’ll be like T.O fans having a blast during the Ballard years.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Did I ever said the brass cared what the fans thought?

I said Michkov is what the people want.

Wright was a propaganda campaign. Almost a cult of personality.

People want Michkov because he's the most talented player of the bunch, not because of hype. Do you disagree with that assertion of Michkov's talent?
I mean you could argue michkov has garnered a cult of personality too among this board and that's coming from someone know wants him at 5

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
We'll have a GDT then a PGT for both the 1st day (1st Round), and the 2nd day with Rounds 2-7 (June 29th).

The 2nd day is being televised: NHLN, SN & TVAS are showing it. It starts at 11 a.m.

Draft won't be as exciting without the #31 & #37 picks. It's a long wait from pick #5 to pick #69.

Montreal met with Michkov today, and things appear to have gone well.

View attachment 722382
At this point I'm doubting he falls to 5th. My personal condition for drafting him ( which means absolutely nothing lol) is that he's physically at the draft. However I assume some teams may have thought the same.

Oh my, how entertaining would it be if he pulled a Malkin and disappeared for days only to report to his NHL Club this season.
CBC News: Malkin flees Russian club: report

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Now that I think more is it possible trading the picks for Newhook could be a sign we're trading down with philly for 7/22+? Maybe the scouting staff feel the depth is in the first two thirds of the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad