2023 University Cup

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
This.
The only times rankings really matter all season is setting the seedings, first for the top-4 conference winners, and then the bottom-4 runner-ups and host.
When I said 1-4 pre-ordained, I meant the 3 champs plus OUA #2. Ranking determines the seeding for those spots but no other team can go there. 4-8 can be almost any team. I can't find the final rankings for 2020 because the CIS site is a piece of crap or my Google is.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
NO.

If CON wins Bronze. SMU is AUS 2nd place. SMU/UPEI can't be 7/8.

The rankings don't reflect CON loss to UQTR.

It should be:
CAL
UNB
OUA1
OUA2
ALB
SMU
OUA3
UPEI
Agreed this seems to be the most likely scenario. If so, UNB fans should be rooting hard for Lakehead.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
When I said 1-4 pre-ordained, I meant the 3 champs plus OUA #2. Ranking determines the seeding for those spots but no other team can go there. 4-8 can be almost any team. I can't find the final rankings for 2020 because the CIS site is a piece of crap or my Google is.
Here is the pre-tournament rankings for 2020.

Top 10 Repository - March 8th, 2020

Concordia was dropped from the Tournament Seeding list because they didn't advance and that moved UBC from Rank 9 to Seed 8. Certainly strange to see a Conference runner-up below a conference 3rd place (Bronze) team. I agree it was the right call for that tournament, but baring Cinderella stories - not typical.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So, these are the likely outcomes - four in total (baring strange movements in the rankings - hard to trust ELO when they don't share the number every week):

1. CAL - UNB - WIN - UQT | ALB - SMU - CON - PEI
2. CAL - UNB - UQT - WIN | ALB - SMU - CON - PEI
3. CAL - UNB - WIN - UQT | ALB - SMU - LKD - PEI
4. CAL - UNB - UQT - WIN | ALB - SMU - LKD - PEI

Thu: 3 vs 6 and 2 vs 7 - OUA-1 vs SMU & OUA-3 vs UNB
Fri: 4 vs 5 and 1 vs 8 - OUA-2 vs ALB & CAL vs PEI

They could swap/flip the games on Thursday - I guess it depends on who you think will have the better draw. I would think UNB, but I'm obviously bias.

With OUA having a strong year - the OUA matches might be the most intriguing (are they really that good, can they manage the travel, etc). This year was the bias schedule so there were no cross-over games - easy to see how that can make a good team look better in a weak conference.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Anyone else disappointed the gold medal game isn't on TV anymore? Or does it really matter?
Usports has been a disaster. All downhill since the name change. Time to pull the plug and restore CIS. They could use Usports as a casual name, along with Uhockey etc.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Usports has been a disaster. All downhill since the name change. Time to pull the plug and restore CIS. They could use Usports as a casual name, along with Uhockey etc.
It’s awful, if you search USports on twitter it will offer you to include “Esports” lol. I’m a NASCAR fan (yes I know, cars going in circles but if you ever want to feel good about your appearance spend a day at a race!) and they’ve changed series names so many damn times in my life and within 6 months I’m calling it by the new name, I never stopped saying “CIS” , I feel like a bigger tool bag saying I’m a “USports” fan than I do confessing my love of NASCAR. Haha

Reactions: AUS Fan

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Ironically Lakehead and Windsor are the two most difficult streams to watch in the OUA. Lakehead camera work and audio are just dreadful. In Windsor the camera is behind thick netting that makes it hard to see the puck.
It would be great if the OUA stepped up and provided some subsidies for webcast equipment. Some schools have journo programs (TMU) or a nebulous deal with Sportsnet (Guelph), and the webcast looks brilliant. Meanwhile, some are using an outdated laptop/camera and mono usb sound inputs. I'm convinced that the OUA could gradually contribute with sponsorship dollars and/or a strategic partnership, and without having to go the route of the CanWest subscription model.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle and Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It would be great if the OUA stepped up and provided some subsidies for webcast equipment. Some schools have journo programs (TMU) or a nebulous deal with Sportsnet (Guelph), and the webcast looks brilliant. Meanwhile, some are using an outdated laptop/camera and mono usb sound inputs. I'm convinced that the OUA could gradually contribute with sponsorship dollars and/or a strategic partnership, and without having to go the route of the CanWest subscription model.
Well the AUS is the same in that it really varies from rink to rink. Moncton probably being the worst.

Reactions: AdamMcg83

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
No. The X broadcast may be “amateur” but you can clearly see the play. The camera angle in Moncton is pretty bad.
AUS is supposed to have minimum standards to be part of AUStv. I'm hearing the bar might be raised next year. Seeing as the schools pick up all the production costs during the regular season, and it at no cost to the viewer, it is a pretty good deal. With hockey, Acadia has made big strides this season. If all schools would correct their white balance on their cameras, we'd all be happier.

Reactions: Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In the past CIS/Usports had to PAY TSN or SportsNet to broadcast the games, and the sports networks dictated the game start times to their preference. At least they don't have to pay CBC.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
In the past CIS/Usports had to PAY TSN or SportsNet to broadcast the games, and the sports networks dictated the game start times to their preference. At least they don't have to pay CBC.
In those days, that was the deal for some NHL teams. They took the risk for selling ad space. Last year there was close to zero promotion by CBC. On HNIC there will be ads for various CBC shows, but none about Usports.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
AUS is supposed to have minimum standards to be part of AUStv. I'm hearing the bar might be raised next year. Seeing as the schools pick up all the production costs during the regular season, and it at no cost to the viewer, it is a pretty good deal. With hockey, Acadia has made big strides this season. If all schools would correct their white balance on their cameras, we'd all be happier.
I would be happy if we just got replays on every webcast..

On another note…Concordia well on their way to punching the final ticket.

Reactions: dm8895

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad