2023 University Cup

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Fredericton hockey fans are notoriously fickle, and spoiled. That's one of the reasons why Major Junior has kicked the tires several times at the AUC before bowing out each time. Junior A has been in the Fredericton market for a few years now ... it will be interesting if they survive (hopefully) in the long term.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
He (Holly) goes on to say:

"I would also not be surprised to see a further gerrymander in the first two scenarios where Saint Mary‛s and Alberta would switch places so that they would be on the opposite side of the draw from the conference champion. I don‛t tink they‛d switch U.P.E.I. and the OUA bronze team in the #7 and #8 slots.
I doubt it - they have rarely, if ever, looked beyond round 1 and as such we have seen far too many AUS/AUS and CW/CW semi-finals. I wish they would though - that would be great.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Fredericton hockey fans are notoriously fickle, and spoiled. That's one of the reasons why Major Junior has kicked the tires several times at the AUC before bowing out each time. Junior A has been in the Fredericton market for a few years now ... it will be interesting if they survive (hopefully) in the long term.
You can't say anything about UNB fans or you'll be labelled a UNB hater as I am.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
You can't say anything about UNB fans or you'll be labelled a UNB hater as I am.
I will say that UNB has a much larger following than the rest of the conference but I’ve had far more intelligent conversations with fans in other rinks. UNB crowd is full of people looking for something to do on a Friday night and after 30 seconds of talking you realize they have zero knowledge on the sport as opposed to say PEI where most people in the building are hardcore hockey fans.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I will say that UNB has a much larger following than the rest of the conference but I’ve had far more intelligent conversations with fans in other rinks. UNB crowd is full of people looking for something to do on a Friday night and after 30 seconds of talking you realize they have zero knowledge on the sport as opposed to say PEI where most people in the building are hardcore hockey fans.
Numbers can be misleading if they're mostly fanboys.

Reactions: timbitca and dm8895

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Yes, because they've already said they're playing Friday night.

CON had a full beard lead over UQTR, 4-0 before they gave up 5 goals.
Let's see how Concordia plays in front of 3500 people
Just an opinion, but based on the fact that Concordia swept McGill and pushed UQTR to the limit in overtime game 3. UQTR is basically the same team that won the UCup last year.
You have a point and the crowd should give Lakehead energy.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Just an opinion, but based on the fact that Concordia swept McGill and pushed UQTR to the limit in overtime game 3. UQTR is basically the same team that won the UCup last year.
You have a point and the crowd should give Lakehead energy.
Lakehead will absolutely have some good push from the crowd, but Concordia should be a heavy favourite. They've been consistently the next-best team behind UQTR all year, and there is still a wide disparity between the top of the west and the top of the east in the OUA. Including playoffs, Concordia is 22-4 against everyone else outside of UQTR.

By the way, Lakehead is only 2-2 at home in the playoffs in front of those 3500-person crowds.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Looking into my crystal ball I can see that regardless of the outcome between UNB-SMU, SMU will draw a difficult opponent. The only way SMU gets an "easier" opponent is if WSR wins OUA and SMU wins AUS. SMU would be #2 seed and get #7 OUA Bronze.

If UQTR wins OUA, SMU will either draw ALB (3-6) or UQTR (6-3). Both would be tough teams.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
CAL is #1

A UNB win gives them #2 (my guess) and UQTR/WIN are #3/4 (in some order) with ALB #5.
Now, if CON wins Bronze and with a higher rank than SMU, I see them at #6, SMU #7 and PEI at #8.
or, if LKD wins Bronze and with a lower rank than SMU, I see SMU at #6, LKD at #7 and PEI at #8
So - SMU would be either in the 7/2 game vs UNB but a swap with 6 places them in the 6/3 vs OUA Winner
or, SMU is #6 naturally and plays the OUA Winner. Either way the OUA Winner is a tough draw.
For UNB - they play #7, OUA Bronze (in either case as a result of the swap) and we might just see a UNB/SMU Semi-final.

A UNB loss makes it interesting - OUA Winner is #2 and SMU is #3 with the OUA Loser in #4. UNB is #5 with ALB #6, OUA Bronze is #7 and PEI is #8. SMU would draw ALB in the 3-6 game and UNB would get OUA Loser (WIN/UQTR) which has been an easier draw historically, but it doesn't look to be that way this year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I also agree…but remember in 2020 UBC (CW #2) was ranked 8th, behind 3rd place teams Western and SMU…so there is precedent. Although UBC was clearly the weakest team record-wise that year…cinderella run notwithstanding.

This year all the teams are close enough record-wise you can just seed the teams 1-1-1-2-2-2-3-host like usual.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I also agree…but remember in 2020 UBC (CW #2) was ranked 8th, behind 3rd place teams Western and SMU…so there is precedent. Although UBC was clearly the weakest team record-wise that year…cinderella run notwithstanding.

This year all the teams are close enough record-wise you can just seed the teams 1-1-1-2-2-2-3-host like usual.
Where were they ranked? Spots 1-4 are pre-ordained, the rest are determined by final rank and if necessary regional match-up in 1st game. If UBC was ranked lower than the UWO or SMU then they would go in the 7 spot.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Where were they ranked? Spots 1-4 are pre-ordained, the rest are determined by final rank and if necessary regional match-up in 1st game. If UBC was ranked lower than the UWO or SMU then they would go in the 7 spot.
I think they were. But up until that year I don’t think we ever saw a conference runner-up seeded lower than a 3rd place team. It had always been the three conference champions 1-2-3, the runner-ups 4-5-6, and then the bronze/“host” team in the 7-8 spots.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This.
The only times rankings really matter all season is setting the seedings, first for the top-4 conference winners, and then the bottom-4 runner-ups and host.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad