2023 UEFA European Under-21 Championship (21 June – 8 July)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
French team is sick on paper but extremely poor on the bench.
Meslier, Bajic and Chevalier at GK
Boey, Simakan, Bade, Lukeba Diakite, etc... On defense.
Caqueret, Chotard, Kone, Le fee and Thuram at CM.
Cherki, Barcola, Adli, Olise at AM
Gouiri, Kalimuendo and Wahi at striker.

EDIT : on the bench as in the coach, not the depth.
I'm confused. Many of the guys you listed are 23... is not this U-21? I've seen other teams that have 23 year olds too

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
yeah im sure they will turn out to be world class players like ianis hagi and marin
What Romania has in spades is natural footballing talent, too bad we lack the infrastructure and to be honest we also like partying a bit too much to make anything of that talent. How Chiriches for example managed to combine his partying lifestyle with playing for Napoli and Tottenham is beyond me, and he's still a Serie A player at 33. As a Swede (most boring country I've ever visited) I'm sure you can't understand that concept. Also, if we could attract migration from other countries we'd have a better national team like yours (only your last game you used players who could have played for Denmark, North Macedonia, Hungary, Eritrea, Burkina Faso and Cameroon)

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
well, there is like 30 better national teams than romania. thats a fact.

they are not exactly producing any talents.

The correlation between youth teams and senior is not exact, you know this. It is a common issue for countries without their own strong league and without the funds to put into quality facilities etc. Anyone with talent either has to leave the country sooner than they're ready to do so or have their progress halted by lack of development infrastructure

Reactions: cgf

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
. Also, if we could attract migration from other countries we'd have a better national team like yours (only your last game you used players who could have played for Denmark, North Macedonia, Hungary, Eritrea, Burkina Faso and Cameroon)
thats how it is for many countries in Europe. Get used to it.

even with no migration from other countries, we would still be better than Romania. Emil Forsberg, Albin Ekdal, Jesper Karlsson, Viktor Claesson, Lindelöf, Emil Holm, Hjalmar Ekdal, Mattias Svanberg etc.

also its still possible to have a strong NT even without migration...look at Japan, Uruguay etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
The correlation between youth teams and senior is not exact, you know this. It is a common issue for countries without their own strong league and without the funds to put into quality facilities etc. Anyone with talent either has to leave the country sooner than they're ready to do so or have their progress halted by lack of development infrastructure
yes look at Sweden, we won the gold in 2015...did not turn us into a power in the seniors.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
yeah im sure they will turn out to be world class players like ianis hagi and marin

So what? This isn't a senior team tourney it's a youth team one.

yes look at Sweden, we won the gold in 2015...did not turn us into a power in the seniors.

So should you not have been allowed to participate in 2015? Seeing as none of those players turned out to be any more world class than Hagi or Marin?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Portugal blew their opportunity to win this in 2015/2021 with stacked squads, too many player players are missing due to senior callups/injuries to pose a threat this time around imho.

Antonio Silva/Goncalo Inacio both called to the senior team, and would be starting CB's. Third CB Tiago Djalo is missing due to injury.

RB Joao Mario (Porto) is missing due to injury, as is Da Costa from Lens and Goncalo Ramos who played 3/4 of qualification but is now on the main national team, from an attacking standpoint. Oh and Fabio Carvalho from Liverpool despite playing qualification had a lapse in sanity and told Rui Jorge he's too good for the U-21 team and refused the last round of callups lol.

Squad:
GK: Celton Biai (V. Guimarães), Francisco Meixedo (FC Porto), Samuel Soares (Benfica);

Defense: Penetra (Famalicão), Bernado Vital (Estoril), André Amaro (V. Guimarães), Leonardo Lelo (Casa Pia), Nuno Tavares (Marselha), Tomás Tavares (Spartak Moscovo) e Tomás Araújo (Benfica);

Midfield: Afonso Sousa (Lech Poznan), André Almeida (Valência), Fábio Vieira (Arsenal), João Neves (Benfica), Zé Carlos (V. Guimarães), Paulo Bernado (P. Ferreira), Samuel Costa (Almeria), Vasco Sousa (FC Porto) e Tiago Dantas (PAOK);

Forwards: Fábio Silva (PSV), Francisco Conceição, (Ajax), Henrique Aráujo (Benfica), Pedro Neto (Wolves) e Vitinha (Marselha)

Starting 11 probably:

--------------------Samuel Soares-------------------------
------------Andre Amaro------Tomas Araujo---------------
Tomas Tavares---------------------------------------Nuno Tavares
-----------------Joao Neves--------Andre Almeida------------
---------------------------Fabio Vieira(slides right)----------------
-------Henrique Araujo----------Vitinha------------Pedro Neto-----

Yeah, it looks like it.

Is it bad that I really like Tomas Araujo?

A player there I really like, but I ain’t namin’ him. ;)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He’s actually decent, and grew a lot over the season. Hopefully he replaces Otamendi and partners Antonio Silva next season.
I picked him up a while ago but he seems to regress in terms of hype but everytime I saw him I liked what I saw.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
French team is sick on paper but extremely poor on the bench.
Meslier, Bajic and Chevalier at GK
Boey, Simakan, Bade, Lukeba Diakite, etc... On defense.
Caqueret, Chotard, Kone, Le fee and Thuram at CM.
Cherki, Barcola, Adli, Olise at AM
Gouiri, Kalimuendo and Wahi at striker.

EDIT : on the bench as in the coach, not the depth.
Do Kone and Thuram both start for this team?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think we'll either see a three men CM with those two and Caqueret.
Or two of those three with Cherki at 10.

Then again this coach is a disaster.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think we'll either see a three men CM with those two and Caqueret.
Or two of those three with Cherki at 10.

Then again this coach is a disaster.
Yeah on paper that’s what it looks to me. Some of the LFC contingent (not necessarily me/anyone here) don’t think Thuram and Kone can play together. Either way hoping we will be able to get a look at it

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Ondrejka is the new Jesper Karlsson.

He'll be in the Belgian league with Antwerp next season. They're going to lose some guys so he should get plenty of good looks.

Players to keep an eye on?

Lavia is the obvious choice. De Ketelaere too, has to show something after this poor season he's had.
But keep an eye on Artur Vermeeren. 18 year old central midfielder, mostly plays the 8 position. Great talent. Van Bommel had the balls to put him in the starting lineup and it payed off. Was instrumental in Antwerp being as good as they were this year. Looks young and fragile but he's a complete player, has all the tools. Very intelligent, very humble too. Can tackle, can score, can pass.

Zeno Debast is another one. Offensive minded defender with a great pass. Has a bit of Kompany in him. Same kind of technical and physical abilities, just not the same amount of flair and leadership.

Lots of speed up front as well but we lack a true number 9 now that Openda won't be there.

Reactions: Eye of Ra and cgf

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
LAFC won't release Biuk for the U21s (the Euro U21s are being played outside the FIFA international window). That was always the risk of moving there for him in already a move which was negatively viewed by most in Croatia. And its not like he is even dominating there either, though I don't think he's as big a prospect as some think

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Schade will be joining the U21s early after pulling something with the senior team. His euros are not expected to be threatened.

Curious to see what shape we'll play because di Salvo has generally played a 4-2-3-1 but this selection has no 10 with Burkardt hurt, Musiala & Wirtz with the senior team, Samardzic playing for Serbia, and none of Nmecha / Wanner / Bischof / Raebiger getting picked.

My main questions that'll determine our shape;
- 2 or 3 midfielders?
- 2 or 3 CBs? If 3 CBs then in a back 3 or back 4?
- Beyer at FB or CB?
- Knauff at WB or W?
- Can Weiper win a starting spot if he makes the team?

IMO Moukoko, Schade, Knauff, Martel, Netz, Dardai, and Atubolu are must starts. With Beyer, Bisseck, Schmidt, and Vagnoman to fill out the defense. Stiller, Krauß, and Huseinbasic rounding out the midfield. Weiper, Weißhaupt, Thielmann, & Ngankam, as options for another attacker.
4-3-3
Schade - Moukoko - Knauff
Krauß* - Stiller*
Martel
Netz - Dardai - Beyer - Vagnoman
Atubolu

3-1-4-2
Schade - Moukoko
Netz - Krauß* - Stiller* - Knauff
Martel
Dardai - Bisseck/Schmidt - Beyer
Atubolu

4-4-2
Moukoko - Schade
Weißhaupt^ - Martel - Stiller* - Knauff
Netz - Dardai - Beyer - Vagnoman
Atubolu

3-4-3
Weißhaupt^ - Moukoko - Schade
Netz - Martel - Stiller* - Knauff
Dardai - Bisseck/Schmidt - Beyer
Atubolu

*Krauß/Huseinbasic
^Thielmann / Ngankam / Weiper​

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
LAFC won't release Biuk for the U21s (the Euro U21s are being played outside the FIFA international window). That was always the risk of moving there for him in already a move which was negatively viewed by most in Croatia. And its not like he is even dominating there either, though I don't think he's as big a prospect as some think
He's not. He's another Coric/Balic waiting to happen. His football IQ is low, I just don't see it with him.

Beljo is called up the NT for the Nations League finals (instead of the injured Gvardiol), so Simic will likely start. Probably with Frigan on the RW.

Bit of a shame, Gvardiol, Sutalo, Stanisic, Beljo, Sucic, Smolcic, all not available + Vuskovic the Elder suspended... Basically half the team and all the best players won't be available for the tournament.
5 first choice CBs, all unavailable.

Looking forward to watching Baturina though.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's not. He's another Coric/Balic waiting to happen. His football IQ is low, I just don't see it with him.

Beljo is called up the NT for the Nations League finals (instead of the injured Gvardiol), so Simic will likely start. Probably with Frigan on the RW.

Bit of a shame, Gvardiol, Sutalo, Stanisic, Beljo, Sucic, Smolcic, all not available + Vuskovic the Elder suspended... Basically half the team and all the best players won't be available for the tournament.
5 first choice CBs, all unavailable.

Looking forward to watching Baturina though.

That’s u21 football though. Unlike the U19s, the top talents are usually already with the senior teams. For example we’ll be missing Musiala, Wirtz, Adeyemi, Bella Kotchap, and Thiaw because they've already been promoted, Burkardt because he's still recovering, while Moukoko is only on the team because he's still just 18yo...and even he is with the senior team through today's friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad