2023 UEFA European Under-21 Championship (21 June – 8 July)

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Trafford player of the tournament for me, did he even get a goal scored against him all tourney? I can't remember any.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It was close, but that's proper way to win any tournament. Not losing and not conceding a single goal.

I wonder what's in store for Harwood-Bellis. It wasn't senior football, but he organised the defence well and can't remember any mistakes from him.

Unlikely that he breaks into Man City line-up for any meaningful minutes this season, so maybe a loan into Championship at least would be in order?

For Chelsea, Mudryk and Madueke showed glimpses of their abilities, hopefully they'll be impact subs at least next season.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Trafford player of the tournament for me, did he even get a goal scored against him all tourney? I can't remember any.
Can’t believe Gordon got player of the tournament. No clue how this guy is rated, just a diving little prick.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Curtis Jones was best player of the the tournament. At least for England. Colwill could have gotten it but probably changed their minds after conceding the PK.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Plenty of talent in this squad but didn't know what to expect from Carsley. Made some interesting choices and they worked. Garner at RB, no DM, Gomes and Jones in CM. Not starting a natural CF using Gordon up front.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Harwood-Bellis and Colwill as the CBs for the seniors in the future.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
It was close, but that's proper way to win any tournament. Not losing and not conceding a single goal.

I wonder what's in store for Harwood-Bellis. It wasn't senior football, but he organised the defence well and can't remember any mistakes from him.

Unlikely that he breaks into Man City line-up for any meaningful minutes this season, so maybe a loan into Championship at least would be in order?

For Chelsea, Mudryk and Madueke showed glimpses of their abilities, hopefully they'll be impact subs at least next season.
Harwood-Bellis has been on loan in the championship a lot recently. Was a starter almost all of last season for Burnley except for when he was out injured. I believe they wanted to buy him but City either didn't want to sell or the ask was too high as Burnley bought others instead. So either City has plans for him or a different premier league team they want to loan him to.

Reactions: gary69

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Yeah Harwood-Bellis looks like he's outgrown the Championship. If I were Pep I'd keep him as a backup, especially if Laporte ends up leaving.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Told you guys Colwill was crap, but apparently on this forum he's the second coming.
Colwill being “crap” because he conceded a PK in a tournament where he’s been otherwise brilliant is as silly as saying that Pedri was “crap” at Euro 2020 because he scored an own goal. Use your brain, man!

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Colwill being “crap” because he conceded a PK in a tournament where he’s been otherwise brilliant is as silly as saying that Pedri was “crap” at Euro 2020 because he scored an own goal. Use your brain, man!
He's very highly rated but I never seen, ever, a game of his where he was dominant, or where he stood out, and he's been hyped here since he was playing on the Championship team. I found his partner in defense more eye catching. But I'm the kind of guy who prefers the Tarkowskys of the world to the Salibas and feel like ball playing centerbacks trend is overrated unless you can keep possession for 80 percent of the time.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Hard to call it a trend when the best and most successful CBs have been ball playing CBs ever since Der Kaiser.

Even top “Tarkowski”-type defenders have been very good on the ball (Terry and Chiellini leap to mind).

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Good finale. Decent enough. Surprised, but not surprised Spain couldn't pot one.
Reminded me of the CL finale, could have easily been 1-1 and should've. Though I hate PK's given in the final minute of a match unless it's a direct chance on goal, how can you give a free spot kick when the play onthe foul had a very low chance of a shot, let alone goal. But it is what it is...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad