2023 U Sports Recruiting

EH7

Aug 12, 2007
Any early rumours surrounding graduating QMJHL players for the fall?

In particular, guys like Fournier, Shortall, MacDonald, Biggar, Trenholm?

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Not a fan of this move. There are Ukrainian athletes, including hockey players, dieing on the front lines defending their country against the Russian invasion while these two avoid the war and improve their game. I don't understand why Russian hockey players are exempt from Western sports boycotts.
Are you not a fan of TMU for allowing these players on their roster, or not a fan of these players for avoiding the war?

If your concern is for the Ukrainians defending their country against Russian invaders, you should really support these players for leaving their country to avoid getting drafted into that quagmire.

Personally, I think that having any top player choose to join a USports program is a positive. Think back to Mike Danton (Jefferson) joining SMU (which was met with greater skepticism than this), Logan Thompson coming through Brock, or Noah Philp coming out of Alberta. Any elite player showing that USports is a development opportunity is a positive, IMO.

That said, I am not crazy about how TMU is building its roster this season. Yes, they are hosting the UCup, but the way they are going about adding players is not the way to build a successful program. Their 11-5 record in a mediocre division supports my contention.

Lakeheadfan95

Jul 19, 2019
Fort William Gardens
Not a fan of this move. There are Ukrainian athletes, including hockey players, dieing on the front lines defending their country against the Russian invasion while these two avoid the war and improve their game. I don't understand why Russian hockey players are exempt from Western sports boycotts.
So players should stay in a country cause their leader started a war if players from both countries can leave they should

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Are you not a fan of TMU for allowing these players on their roster, or not a fan of these players for avoiding the war?

If your concern is for the Ukrainians defending their country against Russian invaders, you should really support these players for leaving their country to avoid getting drafted into that quagmire.

Personally, I think that having any top player choose to join a USports program is a positive. Think back to Mike Danton (Jefferson) joining SMU (which was met with greater skepticism than this), Logan Thompson coming through Brock, or Noah Philp coming out of Alberta. Any elite player showing that USports is a development opportunity is a positive, IMO.

That said, I am not crazy about how TMU is building its roster this season. Yes, they are hosting the UCup, but the way they are going about adding players is not the way to build a successful program. Their 11-5 record in a mediocre division supports my contention.
TMU been very successful program last 7 years from Win - Lost perspective. Most schools in OUA would like to replicate that record

16-17 Year 22-4-2 1st place regular season

17-18 Year 16-9-3 - 3rd place regular season

18-19 Year 20-5-3 1st place regular season

19-20 Year 20-5-3 - 2nd place regular season

21-22 Year 11-4 -0 1st place regular season lost Bronze Medal game in Ucup

22-23 year 16-9-2 4th Place in regular season

23-24 year 11-5 currently 3rd Place in Regular Season

Not too shabby in regular season. Post season curse of 2nd Rd Monster !

Side note- Covid year - many believe they were team to beat in OUA West !

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
TMU been very successful program last 7 years from Win - Lost perspective. Most schools in OUA would like to replicate that record

16-17 Year 22-4-2 1st place regular season

17-18 Year 16-9-3 - 3rd place regular season

18-19 Year 20-5-3 1st place regular season

19-20 Year 20-5-3 - 2nd place regular season

21-22 Year 11-4 -0 1st place regular season lost Bronze Medal game in Ucup

22-23 year 16-9-2 4th Place in regular season

23-24 year 11-5 currently 3rd Place in Regular Season

Not too shabby in regular season. Post season curse of 2nd Rd Monster !

Side note- Covid year - many believe they were team to beat in OUA West !

Meh.

It's been 21 years since an OUA West team won the University Cup, and that team (Western) went 22-0-2. It's been 11 years since an OUA West team even made the UCup Finals, and that team (also Western) was 21-4-1. The OUA West is the weakest division in USports ... unless you're running the table in the OUA West you're simply not going to be competitive at the University Cup.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Meh.

It's been 21 years since an OUA West team won the University Cup, and that team (Western) went 22-0-2. It's been 11 years since an OUA West team even made the UCup Finals, and that team (also Western) was 21-4-1. The OUA West is the weakest division in USports ... unless you're running the table in the OUA West you're simply not going to be competitive at the University Cup.
Look into monetary structure from Canada West to OUA to AUS. Afa to work study to “School Grants “

There reason why top chl players go AUS

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
It's not the fault of the AUS that hockey programs try to max out their AFA pot, while OUA self-imposes limits below the max.
Some OUA do have self imposed pot limit. Example x school has limit of 50K for afa it’s above and beyond 5K allotment max that AUS can offer.

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
There is always an underlying attitude in the OUA that others should adopt their practices and procedures and, when they don't, there has been a serious injustice.
Valid point

Counter point. Offering player afa + work study + hockey camp money + “busary money to outbid oua school is kind of ridiculous but I get it. 10k -18 k per year offer

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Look into monetary structure from Canada West to OUA to AUS. Afa to work study to “School Grants “

There reason why top chl players go AUS

I'm a professor at an OUA university, I was previously a professor at a Canada West university, and I coached in the OUA before undertaking my PhD. I have recruited players in every province from BC to Nova Scotia, at both the undergraduate and graduate student level. With all due respect, there's nothing you can tell me about university admissions / funding / tuition / scholarships that I don't already know.

My comment was simply about TMU not having a strong enough team. It had nothing to do with funding or admissions.

But, let me remind you that TMU has among the lowest admission standards of any OUA school and plays in the nicest arena in USports. As the UCup Host, TMU doesn't have any excuses for not icing the top team in the OUA.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I'm a professor at an OUA university, I was previously a professor at a Canada West university, and I coached in the OUA before undertaking my PhD. I have recruited players in every province from BC to Nova Scotia, at both the undergraduate and graduate student level. With all due respect, there's nothing you can tell me about university admissions / funding / tuition / scholarships that I don't already know.

My comment was simply about TMU not having a strong enough team. It had nothing to do with funding or admissions.

But, let me remind you that TMU has among the lowest admission standards of any OUA school and plays in the nicest arena in USports. As the UCup Host, TMU doesn't have any excuses for not icing the top team in the OUA.
Variables to your statement. As you know hosting nationals doesn’t guarantee you of landing top 3 recruiting class if your from oua and funding different to land these players. “AUS - Canada West- OUA”

- no issue with your comment here. Time will tell with TMU this year

- TMU top 5 lowest in admissions standards in OUA not lowest as I am professor as well Out East

Let’s see how Ottawa builds for 25 UCUP

Solid chat as always.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
So you'd rather these two kids be on the front line shooting at Ukrainians? Ridiculous.

Reactions: Lakeheadfan95

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Variables to your statement. As you know hosting nationals doesn’t guarantee you of landing top 3 recruiting class if your from oua and funding different to land these players. “AUS - Canada West- OUA”

- no issue with your comment here. Time will tell with TMU this year

- TMU top 5 lowest in admissions standards in OUA not lowest as I am professor as well Out East

Let’s see how Ottawa builds for 25 UCUP

Solid chat as always.

I have a lot more faith in Pat Grandmaitre's team-building ability. The Gee-Gees currently lack high-end offensive talent, but PG has building up a ton of depth, and his roster next year will be very experienced and have played together for a long time. Unlike TMU, there is not a lot of turnover at uOttawa. It's a U15 school that attracts serious student-athletes.

What I really dislike about TMU's current roster construction is that most of it is spending their first season together as a team. That's not a recipe for success, and it didn't work for PEI last year, either.

P.S. "TMU has among the lowest" ... so, yes, Top 5 (Bottom 5?) lowest admission standards is EXACTLY what I was referring to.

P.P.S. You're a professor? Where?

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
AUS school

Pat great guy and knows how to build a team but I don’t consider Ottawa Top 5 Hockey School in Ontario at this moment

Random Teams Rank ahead of Ottawa
UQTR
Mcgill
Queens
Toronto
Brock
TMU
Concordia
Carleton
Western - should be better and they have no excuses not to recruit well.

It’s obvious we both coach/recruited in oua in past and more than likely know each other. lol

As for TMU - 23 recruiting class was miss from my understanding they had 5 top end players committed and all our playing in coast or AHL

Having Tenure team that been together helps however having elite recruits sometimes helps more. Aka UNB reload model

Happy Holidays

Last edited:

AUC Regular

Aug 22, 2023
I agree, it looks like he's staying after recent stint in the AHL with Rochester.

At this point it will be a surprise if anyone new is in the lineup for UNB, including D Mitchell Smith.
It certainly looks that way. I know Gardiner was on the recruting trail the latter part of the second week of December, and was l was led to believe it was for this year. We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited:

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
It certainly looks that way. I know Gardinder was on the recruting trail the latter part of the second week of December, and was l was led to believe it was for this year. We'll find out soon enough.
Lots of players stayed in coast who I thought would comeback. Really surprised !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad