2023 U Sports Recruiting

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
A lot of top end talent are in coast at this moment, therefore, a lot teams had to fill needs wherever they could find talent /bodies etc.

Ontario schools will always play second fiddle to Aus for many reason on “chl “ player recruitment/market!

As for TMU they had 4 rumour commitments from players who are in echl to start year!

I Expect a lot of “returning chl grads “ to return in December this year
If there's a multitude of ECHL players opting for USports at the break, I can't see TMU having room for any?

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
If there's a multitude of ECHL players opting for USports at the break, I can't see TMU having room for any?
No roster cap in the OUA , they could carry 50 players if they want. I think the big thing is guys being aware that they are all in on making a run this year and that you might be the odd man out if you can add someone that helps.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
to date for Alberta:

D Blake Gustafson-Saskatoon
D Mason Ward-Swift Current

F Noah Boyko-Edmonton
F Alex Thacker-Victoria

There will be more...
I hope they’re getting more help soon…because the Bears could use it from the looks of it so far.

I thought their depth was questionable (by their standards) by the end of last year…and then didn’t come close to replacing the talent they lost over the summer.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Chris McQuaid is on the Dal roster . I’m sure one of you has posted this already but I can’t find it. Sorry for the repost if so

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Quebec government has announced that Anglophones from outside Quebec will pay double the current tuition rate to study in English at Quebec universities. Non-Quebecers already pay higher tuition than in-province students -- tuition is heavily subsidized for Quebecers.

I can see this negatively affecting recruiting for McGill and Concordia.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Quebec government has announced that Anglophones from outside Quebec will pay double the current tuition rate to study in English at Quebec universities. Non-Quebecers already pay higher tuition than in-province students -- tuition is heavily subsidized for Quebecers.

I can see this negatively affecting recruiting for McGill and Concordia.
Won't move the needle for Concordia. Concordia has two players from outside QC, both Jr. A calibre, and has never drawn impactful players from out of province. It's the fourth best university in the city.

McGill will be impacted for sure. Doubling will bring most fees from $6000ish to $12000ish. The one thing McGill has going for it is its academic reputation, but Queens and Western will become much better options for smart athletes from Ontario.

Unrelated ... McGill is in decline and living off its past reputation. It can't attract top faculty because of the French language requirements for non-Canadians (they have to send their kids to French schools), the high income tax rates, plus the high cost of living in Montreal. Where McGill was once #1 or #2 in Canada, it is now clearly #3 (behind UT and UBC) and in the next decade you will see McGill fall behind Alberta, McMaster, and possibly even Western, Calgary, and Queens.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB hired a young prof out of McGill a few years ago. He had a young family and said he was never going to be able to afford a house in Montreal. Moves to Fredericton, buys house, and wife is able to stay at home with kids because they could live off his single salary. This was pre-Covid before house prices skyrocketed in Fredericton.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I’ve noticed Mitchell Smith isn’t on Orlando’s roster and hasn’t played yet this season…possible Christmas addition for someone?

EDIT - Thought I was responding to my original post from the summer that said he had signed with Orlando of the ECHL.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I’ve noticed Mitchell Smith isn’t on Orlando’s roster and hasn’t played yet this season…possible Christmas addition for someone?

EDIT - Thought I was responding to my original post from the summer that said he had signed with Orlando of the ECHL.
I think you’ll see Mitchell in school

Reactions: Rob

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Rumour Christmas pickups

Mitchell Smith UNB
Aidan De La Gorgendiere UBC
Cole Dubinsky - Alberta
Tanner Brown - MRU

I did state in earlier post 7-9 guys would be going back school. Sounds like we are half way there

Reactions: Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad