Speculation: 2023 Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I hate the idea of having a guy who is just here to be a goon, but, it isn't like the Ducks have a plethora of good 4th liners.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
I was an advocate for bringing in a 4th line tough guy, but this is a head scratcher.
What we don’t know is, he might’ve been asked to consciously work on all other aspects of his game first “ we know you’re big and mean and can fight and hit but we want to see xyz first “

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I was an advocate for bringing in a 4th line tough guy, but this is a head scratcher.
I don't think Cronin's praise for Kassian was effusive, and it wasn't really indicative of any sort of impending decision on whether the Ducks will keep him. Cronin was very diplomatic and noncommittal in his comments, saying essentially that Kassian's fate is up to Verbeek. If anything, I interpreted it as, "He's been fine, but no decision has been made yet and it's not mine to make." I think what Cronin said was just to give the player some positive acknowledgment and leave the rest unspoken.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
What we don’t know is, he might’ve been asked to consciously work on all other aspects of his game first “ we know you’re big and mean and can fight and hit but we want to see xyz first “
I hope this is the case, because he showed no interest in body checking, or stirring things up in the preseason.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If Luck was on their side, both Leo and Mac could have both had a hat trick. Top line had 14 SOG combined. So pissed they didn‘t score they looked fantastic. Poor Mac got Stroke’d. His ears are also still ringing from the sound of the puck hitting iron. If you are not exciting about Leo after this game, I don’t know what to tell You. I know Points are the telling tale to some fans, but give me a break. I’ve seen players pick up multiple points and have a horrible game.

Don’t care about the score some of those goals were gimmes like the PS or from horrible turnovers. We out shot Arizona like 34 to 17. Drysdale returning will Hopefully knock Lassie down to SD.

Looking at our potential 4th line role players, Groulx was very disappointing, I think he may have lost the 4C slot to Carrick, who I think along with Leason have both earned a slot. Not sure what to make of Kassian, 5 SOG, picked up an apple but didn’t think he was anything special. We shall see what happens.

Finally, Silf, Henrique, Vatrano, and Strome just coasting, like most vets do. They have time to get back to giving a crap.

I thought Groulx played well as a bottom-6. His job is to neutralize the opposing team's offense as well as playing PK. Expecting big time offense from Groulx is akin to expecting Fowler to be a shutdown d-man. Groulx is playing up a line as a 3C because Lundy will be out for most of the season.

Last night, Groulx was our best FO player (with at least 4 FO attempts).
  • FO stats vs Yotes (Oct 5th)
    • Groulx: 8/11 (72.7%)
    • Rico: 7/10 (70.0%)
    • Carrick: 5/8 (62.5%)
    • Mac: 3/5 (60.0%)
    • Carlsson: 6/12 (50%)
    • Z: 1/4 (25%)

Those faceoffs matter for the PK.

Reactions: lwvs84

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So far Cronin is certainly saying the right things. Seems to have a high level of emotional intelligence, which is critical for that position. Very pleased so far

he said Kaliyev is a mediocre (at best) NHL player

ast time I checked, one is in the NHL, and the other two haven’t figured it out in the minors
In what way is Arthur Kaliyev NOT a mediocre at best NHL player? He's a bigger Brandon Pirri. Yes, hes still young but there's nothing to date that suggests he's going to become the all star 30 goal scorer you thought he'd be.

56 points in 138 career NHL games. 2 points in 9 playoff games

This is a critical year for him as he's been passed on the depth chart by players Rob Blake has brought in that are better than him

Reactions: Static

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought Groulx played well as a bottom-6. His job is to neutralize the opposing team's offense as well as playing PK. Expecting big time offense from Groulx is akin to expecting Fowler to be a shutdown d-man. Groulx is playing up a line as a 3C because Lundy will be out for most of the season.

Last night, Groulx was our best FO player (with at least 4 FO attempts).
  • FO stats vs Yotes (Oct 5th)
    • Groulx: 8/11 (72.7%)
    • Rico: 7/10 (70.0%)
    • Carrick: 5/8 (62.5%)
    • Mac: 3/5 (60.0%)
    • Carlsson: 6/12 (50%)
    • Z: 1/4 (25%)

Those faceoffs matter for the PK.

Good point I didn’t know he was at 72% on FO’s that is one of the issues we had. I was more disappointed in his offensive side of things. I expected more from him. But if he can improve the PK and the FO’s then it’s all good in a 4th line role .

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
-Leason - quiet big man. Powerful, good nose for the net, good hands, thinks the game well. Said he told Leason he was impressed with him. Said "he wished he had more horns on him" but understands that's not "in his DNA." "We're happy with him."

I have to admit Leason has had a good preseason, and he seems slightly more willing to bodycheck.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
@Rasp wrote "Greedy for Celebrini".

Let's make it sound better with "Greedily for Celebrini!" With five top-10 picks in the last five drafts, why not have one more top-end player?! We need to get someone to play with Mac long term since he probably feels like Rudolf and can't play with the talented forwards like Z, Terry, and big Carl.

... hmmm... Maybe Carl's Jr should have Carlsson as a part of their ads. Get a "big Carl" burger whenever Carlsson nets 3 points?!

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Good point I didn’t know he was at 72% on FO’s that is one of the issues we had. I was more disappointed in his offensive side of things. I expected more from him. But if he can improve the PK and the FO’s then it’s all good in a 4th line role .

He is what he is and that's actually OK since guys with his profile can hang around the league for awhile with the niche he's got. The problem with Groulx (as @AngelDuck mentioned in the roster thread) is that there are too many of him on this team who are complete non-factors offensively with zero hands/skill.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I think Cronin has the ability to really straight talk to the players.

If anyone can get Leason to use his size on the ice, I think Cronin has that ability.

Leason is quick enough and understands the game well enough, he just needs that “encouragement” to become more physical if he wants to carve out a career in the NHL.

John

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I'm probably one of the biggest Leo homers, have been since before I thought the Ducks would even get a chance at him. The 200ft IQ, skill and play anticipation have always been there but I've never seen that first step burst before last night. Crazy how fast he's already showing physical improvements and all while he's probably still growing. It wont take long before the Ducks look like genius' for taking him over Fantilli, I still think he has a chance to be as good as Bedard this season.

Reactions: Kariya 9

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hope he plays tomorrow.

Hello Jamie…

IMG_4547.gif

Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad