GDT: 2023 Training Camp Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I doubt they are able to find a way to get Perets AHL starts this year unless they work out an arrangement that Perets gets called up when Kochetkov is called up to Raleigh.

Perets likely spends most of the year in Norfolk and if he does well, moves up to be the AHL starter wherever Carolina affiliates next year.

I'm not too upset with giving Kochetkov one more year of split time. Signing Raanta for this year was the biggest indication the team is "going for it" this year rather than continuing to plan for the long-term. Long-term planning would mean using Kochetkov as backup this year and bringing in a veteran #3. But with the lack of an AHL affiliate and knowledge that Raanta can play well in a platoon, this arrangement makes sense for this season.

After this year, we see Andersen/Kochetkov in Raleigh.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Raanta is a better goalie than Pyotr at this stage. The ideal workload for Rants is to play him once every 8-10 games or so, given how easily injured he is. You'd like to roll into the playoffs with 3 healthy goalies. Rotating Pyotr in as a "#2B" goalie with about the same workload as Rants is probably best for all parties. He can hopefully play as well in the minors to get more games.

Edit: come to think of it, I could see Pyotr actually getting a larger workload than Raanta, for the durability concerns. Particularly if Pyotr goes on a heater like he did last year.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I would assume that today they might be waiving / re-assigning guys? Anyone heard anything about that?

Not that it's a big deal since we pretty much know the roster already.

Bunting-Aho-Jarvis
TT-KK-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Lemieux-Drury-Noesen
Svech: (IR) + maybe 1 youngster as a 13th forward until Svech is back.

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-TDA
Chatfield
Maybe Jones

Andersen/Raanta
Maybe Kochetkov.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would assume that today they might be waiving / re-assigning guys? Anyone heard anything about that?

Not that it's a big deal since we pretty much know the roster already.

Bunting-Aho-Jarvis
TT-KK-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Lemieux-Drury-Noesen
Svech: (IR) + maybe 1 youngster as a 13th forward until Svech is back.

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-TDA
Chatfield
Maybe Jones

Andersen/Raanta
Maybe Kochetkov.
Maybe a couple today and then more after the 1st Nashville game

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
What are people's expectations of DeAngelo this season? I am having a real hard time predicting him (for fantasy purposes). Does he stick on PP1? Does he get benched a few games for poor defensive plays? Would 62 games and 50 points be a reasonable projection?

What about next season? Anyone care to guess if he has a future with the Canes?
I hope that top two pairs plus Orlov get periodic rests allowing both Chatfield and Tda to get playing time. Take the NBA approach to resting stars over the long season.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I hope that top two pairs plus Orlov get periodic rests allowing both Chatfield and Tda to get playing time. Take the NBA approach to resting stars over the long season.

Especially for Brent Burns. He's still a great player, but he's also 38. Having DeAngelo play with Slavin for some parts of the season can give him some rest time for the games in the playoffs that really matter.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I like that strategy.

You tell Burns he's sitting occasionally because he's old.
And you could do like the Spurs did with Tim Duncan

1696269811424.png

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Especially for Brent Burns. He's still a great player, but he's also 38. Having DeAngelo play with Slavin for some parts of the season can give him some rest time for the games in the playoffs that really matter.
I like that strategy.

You tell Burns he's sitting occasionally because he's old.

I don’t think Burns is sitting until he gets hurt. The guy is sitting on a 761 game ironman streak. Good for 9th all time in NHL. He was phenomenal last year and didn’t show signs of being an old man. He’s going 82 games this year.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don’t think Burns is sitting until he gets hurt. The guy is sitting on a 761 game ironman streak. Good for 9th all time in NHL. He was phenomenal last year and didn’t show signs of being an old man. He’s going 82 games this year.
We can rest him a bit without scratching him; i.e. take him off the PP/PK and give those heavier minutes to other guys like TDA, Chat, Orlov, whoever. He averaged 23min per game last year, with how deep we are on D that should definitely be closer to 20min at most. It's a no brainer to spread the minutes around in the regular season this year and even scratch some guys at times, Burns doesn't need to be one of the scratches considering the streak but I'd sit Pesce, Slavin a few games here and there while rotating Chat and TDA in/out.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Reality is that it's pretty likely Freddie and/or Raanta will get hurt within he first couple months and Pyotr will be back up as the 1b. I'm glad we brought both vets back on the cheap deals we did but at some point here we gotta get Pyotr some consistent starts in the NHL to see what we really have in him. It's not good for his development to keep going back and forth and basically being in limbo.

I don't think Rod/the team will do this but I'd consider rolling Freddie as starter and Pyotr as backup with Raanta just being depth in case of a Freddie (or less likely Pyotr) injury. Nothing against Raanta when he's healthy I just think that would be best for the team long term, maybe at the expense of a few wins this year but would be worth it in my view. Doubt Raanta would've re-signed though if this were a possibility.
I seem to remember reading somewhere and I believe his AHL record confirms this. Pyotr plays much better when he gets consistent starts. I believe that whatever they do, consistent net time will be a primary goal.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I seem to remember reading somewhere and I believe his AHL record confirms this. Pyotr plays much better when he gets consistent starts. I believe that whatever they do, consistent net time will be a primary goal.
Was certainly true of his career in Russia. Early on he'd get a start here or there in the K, struggle, get benched, go down to the V and play well, come back up be inconsistent across a few starts, get benched, cycle repeats itself. Wasn't until he was finally given the reigns as starter with Torpedo that he started dominating. I think going back and forth between different leagues would be worse for him than him just getting 1b starts in the NHL but it'll be the reality for 1 more year at least. We have time with him and I get bringing Raanta back but personally I'd make Pyotr the clear 1b behind Freddie this year.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
The Athletic is releasing, slowly, their rankings of teams from 32 to 1.

We are in top 6 with Edmonton, Colorado, Dallas, Rangers, and Toronto.

The biggest surprises:

Rangers and their defensive structure, questions with Lavy coming in, and old wheeler being the only meaningful addition.

Seattle at 20

Florida and Boston are 10 & 9, respectively. Key injuries and loss of good players.

Calgary and Winnipeg at 13 & 14. Seattle and LA should be ranked over them.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
yikes that's awfully high for the Rangers, awfully low for Seattle. And no Vegas in the top 5 doesn't feel right. Dom's model has always liked Boston but they had so many guys have career seasons last year, can't see it continuing.

right now I'd go:
contenders (5): Carolina, NJ, Dallas, Colorado, Vegas
playoffs likely (6): Toronto, Tampa, NYR, Minnesota, Edmonton, LA
bubble teams (11): Florida, Boston, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, NYI, Washington, Winnipeg, Calgary, Seattle, Nashville
outside chance (4): Columbus, Vancouver, Arizona, St Louis
rebuilding (3): Philly, Anaheim, Montreal
intentionally bad (2): Chicago, San Jose

One of Florida/Boston probably should be in the "playoffs likely" group for me (probably Florida) but it also would not shock me in the slightest to see both miss in favor of 2 of Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit and not have enough to nip the 2nd WC spot from NYI/Pittsburgh/Washington, so to the bubble they go.

edit: yes I realize I say top 6 is high for the Rangers and have them in a group that they could be in the top 6. They're not for me though. I'd comfortably have Toronto and Edmonton ahead of them in that group, Tampa as well if not for the Vasi injury.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I wouldn’t mind us going to a 11-7 look at some moments and cut down on burns and whomever else’s minutes

Shuffle TDA through the 1st and 3rd pairing right minutes in O zone draws, especially after an icing, and for the PP.
With our defensive depth, especially this year, I've always wanted to see how a 11-7 experiment would work out. But I am not sure Rod wants to risk potentially being down to 10 forwards because for our team they seem to get injured more often than our defensemen even accounting for the 12F:6D ratio.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm guessing that means Brindy would give Unger Sorum one more preseason game, but he could be signaling that he'll play a regular season game, which might be a nice confidence boost for the youngster before he heads over.
If he's worried that Svech might not be 100% yet he could give FUS a few games to start the season in Svech's spot until Svech is ready. Nice reward for the young guy and you plug a lineup hole.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I'm guessing that means Brindy would give Unger Sorum one more preseason game, but he could be signaling that he'll play a regular season game, which might be a nice confidence boost for the youngster before he heads over.
damn shame for FUS that Canes don't have an AHL affiliate available. If he was close, then getting NA minutes at that level could still result in a call up during the year.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
who was the last 18 year old Cup winner?
Larry Hillman 1955. Henri Richard won it at 19 years old a couple of months in 1956. Other than that 21 & 22 year olds are the next youngest.

damn shame for FUS that Canes don't have an AHL affiliate available. If he was close, then getting NA minutes at that level could still result in a call up during the year.
Usually 18 year old Euros don’t play in the AHL. 19 year olds, sure.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Larry Hillman 1955. Henri Richard won it at 19 years old a couple of months in 1956. Other than that 21 & 22 year olds are the next youngest.

Usually 18 year old Euros don’t play in the AHL. 19 year olds, sure.
Wasn't Seguin 19 (or maybe he turned 20 during the season) when he won the cup with Boston in 2011?

Edit: He was born Jan 31st, 1992 and he won the cup in June 2011, so he was 18 to start the season and turned 19 before they won the cup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad