Boston Bruins 2023 Training Camp II

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Good start from Beecher. Be interesting to see how McLaughlin does tomorrow. I think they’re competing for the same job.

Also eager to see Boqvist. I haven’t been impressed with him in practice but hoping he stands out.
Do you see a scenario where the 4th line could be lucic-beecher-mclaughlin? Or some variation.

Reactions: HustleB

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Do you see a scenario where the 4th line could be lucic-beecher-mclaughlin? Or some variation.
Yes, but Lauko has been good in camp too. I think if they’re fairly even they’ll send McLaughlin down because he’s waiver exempt.

I also have a hard time believing they’ll waive Brown. They just signed him to a one-way, two-year deal. So I’d be surprised if they cut him after just 2 weeks of not quite NHL action.

If this team really cut everyone beat out by a rookie in camp Providence would have a $10m payroll.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Yes, but Lauko has been good in camp too. I think if they’re fairly even they’ll send McLaughlin down because he’s waiver exempt.

I also have a hard time believing they’ll waive Brown. They just signed him to a one-way, two-year deal. So I’d be surprised if they cut him after just 2 weeks of not quite NHL action.

If this team really cut everyone beat out by a rookie in camp Providence would have a $10m payroll.

There is actually more competition in this camp than I can remember in a long time. I think all of the following forwards are being a legitimate chance to make the opening night roster:

Poitras
Chiasson
Heinen
Brown
Lauko
Beecher
McLaughlin
Richard
Boqvist

*Note, I think Merkulov and Lysell are too easy to start in Providence and call up for special performance.

I consider 9 forwards to have a forward spot locked in already, and they're the obvious ones. There is one slot open on the 3rd line, two on the 4th line and I suspect one healthy scratch.

Of the group, I think Lauko is close to a lock. I think Boqvist gets at least the healthy scratch. The final two spots could really play out a number of ways.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

At some point, they'll need Brown to suit up in the starting lineup. Injuries and poor play are always a possibility with guys on the 4th line. It's a long season.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I like the thought that its between Beecher, MM and Brown for that 4th line C spot

Good competition

Brown took a nasty puck to the foot. Hope he is ok.

MM I read was battling Chaisson a few days ago. Good to hear. He needs to throw around his body more.

Silently rooting for Beecher or MM to make the 4C.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Excited to see Heinen as well. Hoping he gets top line minutes and we can see what he can do to earn a spot in the top 6.
If they are practicing Thursday I think we are going - if you can swing by look forward to hanging out

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney

Thanks for your opinion. All really good points and can't disagree with any of it.

I was thinking that McLaughlin can be played in almost any position, and that they might keep him around to sub in for any of the 3rd or 4th liners as needed (could be Brown's role too!). I'd probably expect Beecher to hit the rookie wall at some point. I don't have a horse in the race, but I was trying to figure out a way to make the 4th line great defensively, but still able to get those sneaky goals.

Your last line made me laugh, becuase its true.

Reactions: PlayMakers

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
apparently PP work today.

PP1: JVR, zacha, marchand, pasta, mcavoy
PP2: coyle, geekie, debrusk, shattdeuces, lindholm

That 2nd power play unit is terrible. Geekie and Coyle? They need at least one other above average shooter besides Debrusk on that line.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
If Poitras makes it to a 1-9 game tryout, I think it is on the 3rd line. I don't think they'd put a 19 year up to center Pastrnak or Marchand when two more capable options are available.

Marchand/Coyle/DeBrusk
JVR/Zacha/Pastrnak
Geekie/Poitras/Frederic
Lucic/Beecher/Lauko
Boqvist

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Forbort - Mitchell
Zboril - Shattenkirk

Chaisson/Heinen offered two-way deals or released. Greer and Steen put on waivers for assignment. All other forwards assigned to Providence.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Intersting that they went with a LH bumper and LH net front. No more quick passes from Marchand to the slot for 1timers.

It has the benefit of keeping the 1st forward line together. Plus, Zacha can absolutely rip the puck and I can see him doing well from the bumper, even without the tap one-time pass from Marchand on the half wall.

Reactions: PlayMakers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad