Rumor: 2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agent Thread: Living in a Stagnant Pond Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Bednar: "It's disappointing for me, it's not frustrating at all...I went through that months ago"

So at the deadline like the rest of us?

I genuinely believe the players on this team - and now Bednar - are pissed at MacFarland for his shitty deadline.

The guy had one f***ing job and he failed miserably. We all heard Devon Toews pre-TDL talking about how they expected players to be arriving to help, and only Lars Eller showed up.

MacFarland is on thin ice I hope this Summer.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I genuinely believe the players on this team - and now Bednar - are pissed at MacFarland for his shitty deadline.

The guy had one f***ing job and he failed miserably. We all heard Devon Toews pre-TDL talking about how they expected players to be arriving to help, and only Lars Eller showed up.

MacFarland is on thin ice I hope this Summer.
I mean knowing what we know now (no Landy, no Nuke, no Manson) getting rentals at the deadline would have been wasted assets.

But cMac didn't know those things back then so it's not an excuse.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just dont even know what they'll come up with this summer for the roster.

We're honestly so f***ed. Zero cap space, zero depth, very little draft capital, literally the worst group of prospects in the league.

They will have to get unbelievably creative to find a good solution that actually makes the team better next year, and I have absolutely zero trust or expectation that CMac is the GM capable of being creative enough to find a good solution.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I mean knowing what we know now (no Landy, no Nuke, no Manson) getting rentals at the deadline would have been wasted assets.

But cMac didn't know those things back then so it's not an excuse.
We for sure win this series with a non-garbage deadline. Maybe even beat the Stars. Who knows after that. It was a wasted year by CMac. Absolutely no excuses

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Compher, Cogliano, Helm, EJ, and JJ should all be gone.

I wouldn’t offer them a contract regardless of the price. Compher will get a decent deal elsewhere so he won’t be worth it and it’s time to move on from the 35+ year olds. They should’ve done it last year.

Try to re-sign Rodrigues at a reasonable price.

I’d take Eller back on a cheap deal.

Retain Malgin as well. He’ll be cheap and he’s a RFA.

On the fence with Nieto but he can probably go too. Works hard but just not enough there.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
At least CMac can sleep soundly tonight knowing he was the architect of one of the most embarrassingly pathetic cup defences in recent memory. Made even memorable by the all-world performances of Mac and Rants, who carried his sorry ass team for most of the year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I wouldn’t offer them a contract regardless of the price. Compher will get a decent deal elsewhere so he won’t be worth it and it’s time to move on from the 35+ year olds. They should’ve done it last year.

On the fence with Nieto but he can probably go too. Works hard but just not enough there.
Unless you can get Rodrigues back at the same cap hit or less, he can walk, too.

Malgin can go, too. Bednar clearly has zero trust in this player and he's useless as a bottom six forward.

Nieto can go back to SJ. Will probably make more money there anyways.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
My off-season play:

I wouldn't mind Rodrigues, Eller and JMFJ back (cheaper than have to trade for him at trade deadline anyway). Compher at up to $4M/year for three years is fine.

The rest of the UFAs should be gone.

Sign Newhook if he costs nothing and hope it clicks. Can't really trade him for anything and Avs need cheap forwards.

Trade Toews to the highest bidder. Use the assets to go for a 2C. Hang on to Girard.

Rub some ground Koala/Tiger/Kitten mixture on Gabes knee.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Toews needs to be either dealt around the draft to the highest biddder or re-signed as soon as possible.

It's vital that they don't lose him for nothing, that would be incredibly foolish.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Agreed on all accounts.

If ERod would sign for say 3x$2-2.5M, I'd take him back to be a 3rd line guy that is the 1st guy to jump into the Top 6 for injuries.

Eller, I'd take him back as the 4C, but that means basically a 1x$1M sort of deal. I wouldn't go any higher then that.

Malgin, offer him a deal at his QO and if he wont take it I wouldn't sign him. I'd probably bring back Nieto on a league minimum deal as well and he and Malgin can be the 12th and 13th forwards, but if they didn't sign Nieto and went after a UFA instead that'd be fine as well.

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Landy - ???? - Nuke
ERod - ???? - ????
LOC - Eller - Malgin
Nieto

Toews - Makar
G/Byram - Manson
???? - Malinski
Hunt

That's how I would see it. Trade one of the LD, I honestly dont care who. If its G, we probably aren't solving the 2C spot using him... if its Toews/Byram we really should be able to get a pretty good 2C along the lines of a Lindholm or Dubois with extensions in place.

At this point, we're probably very very tight on cap space. talking sub $1M for our #6D, sub $1M for our 3rd line winger.... Maaaaybe you've got $1.5-2M for our 3rd line Center. If they do have that kind of space, I'd trade a 1st for Hayton out of Arizona for the 3C honestly.

But knowing CMac, they'll do nearly nothing.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

So basically bring back the bottom 6 that didn’t do a damn thing for 7 games? Nah I’m good.

dump the entire bottom 6 except Eller. Trade Newhook and Toews. If landy isn’t even remotely healthy LTIR him and use the money instantly in free agency.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
So basically bring back the bottom 6 that didn’t do a damn thing for 7 games? Nah I’m good.

dump the entire bottom 6 except Eller. Trade Newhook and Toews. If landy isn’t even remotely healthy LTIR him and use the money instantly in free agency.

Even if you dump them all, can't imagine CMac being able to find anyone of use to fill in the gaps.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Folks, don't get crazy on me now.

I appreciated Eller's play more than most but the facts are the facts:

Will be 34 next season
Had his worst season statistically since he was a rookie in 2010
Isn't going to get any faster
Was part of the bottom six that couldn't muster 1 goal

By all means if Eller wants to come back for 900K - 1M max and play as the 4C - sure, I can make time for that. However, anything above that and you say no thanks.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth

Will be 34 next season

By all means if Eller wants to come back for 900K - 1M max and play as the 4C - sure, I can make time for that. However, anything above that and you say no thanks.
CMac thinks he's a 2C, so I'm not sure we'd get that kind of discount

Reactions: dahrougem2

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado

Will be 34 next season

Eller isn’t a piece you re-sign if you want to build a Stanley Cup winning team; deadline grasp, sure, but I agree wholeheartedly that unless he takes a pay cut and ice time cut, he can take a hike.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I have a feeling EJ comes back.

Wouldn't be my first choice but I think a league minimum deal to be the #6/7D would be fine. Mostly just to keep his locker room presence with the group for 1 more year.

He cam split time with Malinski as the 3RD essentially.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Let me know if you think this is crazy but offseason moves:

Girard, Newhook and Olausson to Washington for Kuznetsov 1.9M retained

Francouz to LA for a draft pick

Re-sign Rodrigues for 2M
Re-sign Cogliano for 1M
Re-sign one of EJ/JMFJ for 900K

Sign Drouin for 1M
Sign Kampf for 2.5M
Sign Reimer for 900K

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Kuznetsov - Nichushkin
Lehkonen - Kampf - Rodrigues
Cogliano - Foudy - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
JMFJ/EJ - Malinski

Georgiev
Reimer

That team comes in under the 83.5M cap ceiling.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I refuse to put TDL all on MacFarland, him and Sakic work as a package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad