Rumor: 2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agent Thread: Living in a Stagnant Pond Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Toews or Girard who do we keep? Both?

Newhook next contract? Arbitration? Trade bait?

eRod re-signing? What kind of deal is he looking for? He's already on a show me contact and has performed so-so. Re-sign? Walk?

What to do with EJ? Does he still wanna play? Will he take a veterans minimum?

Cogs? Re-sign? Let him walk?

Helm? Retire? Re-sign? Walk?

LBN? Re-sign? Walk?

Malgin RFA. Re-sign? Arbitration? Walk?

JJ? Re-sign? Walk? Veterans minimum?

Compher? Re-sign? Walk? (Let him rot and fester forever in the enteral fires of hell?)

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
It was a fun week without the thread. I will try to not read this until after playoffs because nothing will happen until then.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
But speculating on the team's future is half the fun. At least I always felt that way.

It's demoralizing as shit watching this team not be any semblance of what it was not that long ago and only able to look like they did for periods against shit teams.

Back to thinking past this season at least to some extent.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Girard/Toews debate is a tough one.

I kinda lean to keeping Girard because he’s got more term on his contract, but I do fear he’ll revert back to slow skating Girard. He seems to have shaken out of that recently, but I worry he’ll revert back to that.

Makar and Byram are the only ones on the defence I’m convinced are going to be back next year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see any of the other ones moved.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I kinda lean to keeping Girard because he’s got more term on his contract, but I do fear he’ll revert back to slow skating Girard. He seems to have shaken out of that recently, but I worry he’ll revert back to that.

Makar and Byram are the only ones on the defence I’m convinced are going to be back next year. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see any of the other ones moved.

Honestly I think they're going to try to keep those four together at all costs. Trading Towes is risky, but probably the right move asset management wise.

As long as they actually get a longer term solution at 2C though, the risk is probably worth it.

Not worried about Girard, he may have finally found some balance and lost enough bulk as the season went on. I doubt he's going to make the same mistake this off-season.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The goal is to give Toews' spot on the 1st pairing to Byram as soon as next season and to keep G on the 2nd pairing.

G is a good #3D on a decent contract

Yeah, and G has strung together a consistent stretch now. If he's effective in the playoffs I agree. If he just gets demolished again back to square one though. They'll not even consider trading Towes.

Good signs though playing teams that try to muck it up this time of year and he's playing well.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Basically trading Girard is no option. He won't bring back much(the biggest issue). Toews you can sell as a #1/#2 D. Those are worth A LOT. Should bring in very nice return.

Girard is OK for what he is. Toews is the most valuable asset we could consider trading.

Obviously, trading Toews, means weakening our D.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, and G has strung together a consistent stretch now. If he's effective in the playoffs I agree. If he just gets demolished again back to square one though. They'll not even consider trading Towes.

Good signs though playing teams that try to muck it up this time of year and he's playing well.

Yeah, that would be terrible, because in that case I am closer to buying out Girard.. nobody will take him, if he is destroyed again.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, that would be terrible, because in that case I am closer to buying out Girard.. nobody will take him, if he is destroyed again.

I don't even mean injured either, he has to play well. I do think Byram would be fine with Makar eventually.

I'm sure they could trade G to the right team for futures, but yeah if he has to be sheltered heavily in the playoffs he's not going to have a ton of value.

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
I don't even mean injured either, he has to play well. I do think Byram would be fine with Makar eventually.

I'm sure they could trade G to the right team for futures, but yeah if he has to be sheltered heavily in the playoffs he's not going to have a ton of value.
G , if needs to be sheltered heavily when it matters , does not have much value for the Avs actually

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I still am pretty disappointed at the opportunity cost wasted. Mainly because might as well make a trade this deadline for something when you look at the center pool available for next year in free agency, Compher almost looks like one of the best available, which is troubling. Then you are back to using assets for a center next year anyway 🤷🏼‍♂️. I really hope they don't convince themselves Compher is the answer going forward and re-sign him as one of the few free agent centers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

It depends on Toews' ask. Ideally, it's better to give Byram his own pairing where he's free to freelance/improvise.

Toews has logged a lot of minutes this year. So the judgment towards him isn't necessarily fair or appropriate.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Toews or Girard who do we keep? Both?

Newhook next contract? Arbitration? Trade bait?

eRod re-signing? What kind of deal is he looking for? He's already on a show me contact and has performed so-so. Re-sign? Walk?

What to do with EJ? Does he still wanna play? Will he take a veterans minimum?

Cogs? Re-sign? Let him walk?

Helm? Retire? Re-sign? Walk?

LBN? Re-sign? Walk?

Malgin RFA. Re-sign? Arbitration? Walk?

JJ? Re-sign? Walk? Veterans minimum?

Compher? Re-sign? Walk? (Let him rot and fester forever in the enteral fires of hell?)
EJ,Cogs and Malgin will be back, the rest walk

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Apparently we desperately need a trade thread. So here it is.

We do, a lot of what drives discussion here is exploring the future of correcting the present. It gives us hope to explore the possibilities. No other place than amongst other people with the same goals is it so much fun to argue the possibilities.

Just saying 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad