Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Mbappe is going to Real Madrid, but don't be surprised if Arsenal is a legit dark horse in this. He was one signature away from signing with us due to Wenger until he decided to stay at Monaco due to being homesick. If he wants to go to EPL, Arsenal should be the favourites to land him.

• Haha
Reactions: King 88

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal.

He’s going to madrid. He wants them. They want him. It’s legitimately his destiny
Oh absolutely, that's why I kept it strictly to only EPL clubs. La Liga probably has the harshest rules when it comes to finances, Real can want him all they want, but the numbers might not work and the deal could fall apart. 99.9% that Perez will make it work, but just saying Arsenal would be a dark horse team. He ain't going to BuLi or Serie A.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I can envision a lot of hesitancy from any club not named Madrid.

The saga has been endless summer after summer.

If he signs for any PL club, who’s to say he isn’t demanding x, y, z instantly?

The easy response is “oh but city bought Haaland who will leave soon” - yeah but they paid so far below market, and he doesn’t have the strings attached that Mbappe does.

I think this is going to get ugly and drag on. PSG want to sell, and Mbappe knows he’s a free to Madrid in 12 months. Such a weird situation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Oh absolutely, that's why I kept it strictly to only EPL clubs. La Liga probably has the harshest rules when it comes to finances, Real can want him all they want, but the numbers might not work and the deal could fall apart. 99.9% that Perez will make it work, but just saying Arsenal would be a dark horse team. He ain't going to BuLi or Serie A.
Rules dont apply to Madrid. Its only barca that are scrambling. Madrid dont have the same issues.

Even if he goes to the EPL.... I'd be shocked if its Arsenal.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If he went to the PL it would only be City because they're the only ones that don't have to play by the rules. So they could pay him whatever and make up fake shit in their books and nobody would care. They'd pay him half his wages off the books or something.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Not inclusive of any payout to Hazard, Madrid are shedding approximately 75 million in wages this Summer on outgoing players. Benzema, Modric, Hazard, Asensio and Diaz are all leaving. Apparently Kroos has been signed to a new deal, but it’s not announced yet. Had they let Kroos walk it’d have been about 100 million.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't really see how City would be able to buy him at the tactical level. I've been watching BlueLock for the past couple of weeks (an amazing show, highly recommend it) and it is all about making a world-class striker for Japan and one of the central themes is about gaining a sense of egoism. Of course, you gotta be a good teammate, but as a #9, you have to have a certain level of arrogance about your game IMHO.

I don't really see how two egoists in Haaland and Mbappe can play together. And I don't see how Neymar changes any of that, you got Mbappe wanting strictly to play as a #9 and Haaland also wanting to play as a #9. Would a 4-4-2 put them on the pitch together? Absolutely, but would it work? I have my doubts like when Avs signed Kariya and Selanne to go along with Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, and whoever else I am missing. You just can't build a team with so much star power because it never works.
Rules dont apply to Madrid. Its only barca that are scrambling. Madrid dont have the same issues.

Even if he goes to the EPL.... I'd be shocked if its Arsenal.
Perez the Great for a reason. Can drop gossip sex scandals about players one second and sign World Class talent another second lol.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't really see how City would be able to buy him at the tactical level. I've been watching BlueLock for the past couple of weeks (an amazing show, highly recommend it) and it is all about making a world-class striker for Japan and one of the central themes is about gaining a sense of egoism. Of course, you gotta be a good teammate, but as a #9, you have to have a certain level of arrogance about your game IMHO.

I don't really see how two egoists in Haaland and Mbappe can play together. And I don't see how Neymar changes any of that, you got Mbappe wanting strictly to play as a #9 and Haaland also wanting to play as a #9. Would a 4-4-2 put them on the pitch together? Absolutely, but would it work? I have my doubts like when Avs signed Kariya and Selanne to go along with Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, and whoever else I am missing. You just can't build a team with so much star power because it never works.

Perez the Great for a reason. Can drop gossip sex scandals about players one second and sign World Class talent another second lol.

@Evilo said today that Mbappe isn’t interested in playing as a 9. And I don’t know how you define “egoist”, but I doubt Haaland is one. You’re also forgetting who the boss is.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Evilo said today that Mbappe isn’t interested in playing as a 9. And I don’t know how you define “egoist”, but I doubt Haaland is one. You’re also forgetting who the boss is.
I don't mean egoist as having a selfish persona as we are used to of that word, but wanting, desiring, and having the ball at all costs to score goals, make plays, and kill opponents.

That is new news to me about Mbappe not wanting the #9.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You for real? Madrid don't have the same issues because they've managed their money better in the last 10-15 years. For every Hazard and Jovic, they've had 10 good buys and they've sold their players well.
They've barely spent for 3 years, especially once COVID hit and only spent big last season on Tchouameni. Hazard, Benz, Asensio, etc... all gone, takes off a considerable amount from their wage bill too.

Barca has only themselves to blame. Don't even try and play victim here how someone's after you or changing the rules to make it work for Madrid.
Aside from the occasional blunder (Jovic, Hazard), Madrid's transfer policy has been exemplary for a long while now.

This article is from the end of last season, so before the Tchoumaneni purchase, but it gives you an indication of what Madrid did in the last 10 years, they're not even in the top 20 clubs in terms of net spend.

A notable absentee from the list is Real Madrid. Los Blancos' net spend in the past decade is just £-114.26m, the 38th highest of any club in the world.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
You for real? Madrid don't have the same issues because they've managed their money better in the last 10-15 years. For every Hazard and Jovic, they've had 10 good buys and they've sold their players well.
They've barely spent for 3 years, especially once COVID hit and only spent big last season on Tchouameni. Hazard, Benz, Asensio, etc... all gone, takes off a considerable amount from their wage bill too.

Barca has only themselves to blame. Don't even try and play victim here how someone's after you or changing the rules to make it work for Madrid.
Aside from the occasional blunder (Jovic, Hazard), Madrid's transfer policy has been exemplary for a long while now.

This article is from the end of last season, so before the Tchoumaneni purchase, but it gives you an indication of what Madrid did in the last 10 years, they're not even in the top 20 clubs in terms of net spend.

A notable absentee from the list is Real Madrid. Los Blancos' net spend in the past decade is just £-114.26m, the 38th highest of any club in the world.
I agree. They managed much much better they finances

In any cases, can't see how they can spend so much money on Bellingham, Mbappe, all the other kids, Havertz, etc

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If Mbappe is moving, there are some EPL clubs who could do it, but I don’t think they’re the top spot.

City obviously could figure it out, but I think they’re unlikely. Newcastle wouldn’t be the favorite, but he would be a coup. I think United would be the team willing to pay the most. I’m sure Chelsea would like to get the marquee guy, so who knows there.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Won't you? Plan to play with Joselu? You can change Havertz with Kane, my point remains
Whoever has a chance to get Mbappe, can't pass on it.
I know City's the flavor of the moment, and Madrid was last season, but Benz, Vini, Haaland... None are as good as Mbappe IMO.

You get him. And then you work around it. Maybe play Rodrygo as striker or something.
Maybe get some oldie a la Giroud to serve until they get more funds for a long term one.

But you don't pass on Mbappe. You just don't.
I imagine Madrid is his first choice still, especially with a really strong French contingent there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad