Transfer: 2023 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion - Closed Window Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Whoever has a chance to get Mbappe, can't pass on it.
I know City's the flavor of the moment, and Madrid was last season, but Benz, Vini, Haaland... None are as good as Mbappe IMO.

You get him. And then you work around it. Maybe play Rodrygo as striker or something.
Maybe get some oldie a la Giroud to serve until they get more funds for a long term one.

But you don't pass on Mbappe. You just don't.
I imagine Madrid is his first choice still, especially with a really strong French contingent there.

Can't forget about the issue of money though. Not only the fee, but if you've got any kind of attempt at wage structure, that's going to be thrown right off as well. Dude ain't comin' somewhere to not get paid like the best player in the world. So there's really not a lot of choices, which leads me to wonder what he feels his options are, because you don't leave if you don't have more than one or you end up kinda stuck like Messi was.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Can't forget about the issue of money though. Not only the fee, but if you've got any kind of attempt at wage structure, that's going to be thrown right off as well. Dude ain't comin' somewhere to not get paid like the best player in the world. So there's really not a lot of choices, which leads me to wonder what he feels his options are, because you don't leave if you don't have more than one or you end up kinda stuck like Messi was.
I think Perez is ready to pay him. It's his dream signing and he's been high on him since Mbappe broke through with Monaco.

And as much as Madrid held on during the last few years, they've clearly managed to win stuff on experience and mentality, and offensive sparks from two players.
Ronaldo's gone, Benz is gone, Ramos, Casemiro, Marcelo... Modric and Kroos are aging, and the Ghost of Dani Carvajal is still there.
Vini's great, Rodrygo getting there, but they do need that extra spark up front.
They need a match winner, and Mbappe's proven over and over he can be that guy.

Madrid have a gaping hole in attack, but honestly, ever since Bale started getting hit with injuries, they've been improvising there. Isco (though peak Isco was amazing), Asensio, Valverde, Rodrygo... Some work, some don't, but none look like longterm solutions.
(well, Rodyrgo does, but not necessarily at RW)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

So Mbappé did not ask to leave this Summer, but PSG is saying "well, renew or we will sell you".

Basically, Mbappé is playing the PR game by saying he is happy to stay the year. I understand PSG here. You do not want to lose him for free and, if he won't commit now, why would he commit at the end of the year? He could, but he could leave on a free. They went through that last time and I understand why they wouldn't want this time.

By sending his letter (when it was an opt in, not an opt out clause), he is basically telling them to sell him. He can play semantics all he wants, but that's the signal he sends.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You for real? Madrid don't have the same issues because they've managed their money better in the last 10-15 years. For every Hazard and Jovic, they've had 10 good buys and they've sold their players well.
They've barely spent for 3 years, especially once COVID hit and only spent big last season on Tchouameni. Hazard, Benz, Asensio, etc... all gone, takes off a considerable amount from their wage bill too.

Barca has only themselves to blame. Don't even try and play victim here how someone's after you or changing the rules to make it work for Madrid.
Aside from the occasional blunder (Jovic, Hazard), Madrid's transfer policy has been exemplary for a long while now.

This article is from the end of last season, so before the Tchoumaneni purchase, but it gives you an indication of what Madrid did in the last 10 years, they're not even in the top 20 clubs in terms of net spend.

A notable absentee from the list is Real Madrid. Los Blancos' net spend in the past decade is just £-114.26m, the 38th highest of any club in the world.
Barca is in trouble for its own doing. Tebas is also punishing them and not budging because its barca. Everyone has tightened their belt post covid. Not contesting the rest.

Reactions: Tony Romo

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I agree. They managed much much better they finances

In any cases, can't see how they can spend so much money on Bellingham, Mbappe, all the other kids, Havertz, etc

Well they’re not going to buy Bellingham, Mbappe, Kane, Havertz, etc. If they buy Mbappe and Bellingham, I wouldn’t expect too much more. Maybe one more bigger fee for an 9 and that’s it. They have Castilla players that can make up some of the squad numbers, guys like Alvaro Rodriguez, Nico Paz and Sergio Arribas assuming they’re going to get a shot.

It’s like I said in the other thread, they’re going to shed something like 100 million from the wage bill as it is. Bellingham’s wages won’t be that high, so that just leaves Mbappe. I would expect him to take up more than the difference, but maybe they can afford it.

Overall, It’s a good Summer for Madrid to rebuild. They’re shedding a lot of big salaries and might be able to sell a few guys while making it a wash with regards to replacements.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad