GDT: 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
More importantly, Hanifin choked on important games. Dude is the opposite of Sam Bennett. What he showed in the Oilers series was one of the all time embarrassment.

Treliving chose to go with guy like Hanifin and Lindholm instead of Tkachuk and Bennett is the reason he is no longer with the Flames

The org begged him to stay, they wanted to extend him. THAT is embarrassing, on top of Edwards nixing both the futures trade for Tkachuk and long-term deal for him post ELC.

It's a mess and tbh I dont see a way out.

Hope Benny wins the Cup and Conn Smythe. What a player. Hanifin and Lindholm can both f off.

Reactions: Mobiandi

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The org begged him to stay, they wanted to extend him. THAT is embarrassing, on top of Edwards nixing both the futures trade for Tkachuk and long-term deal for him post ELC.

It's a mess and tbh I dont see a way out.

Hope Benny wins the Cup and Conn Smythe. What a player. Hanifin and Lindholm can both f off.
I know, Treliving is not a total idiot. He sees the writing on the wall. He painted himself into a corner. He is jumping ship from a mess he created.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Makar and Toews
Mcavoy and Lindholm
Fox and Trouba
Slavin, Burns/Pesce
Pietreangelo and Theodore
Hedman and Sergachev
Chabot Chychrun
Dahlin Power
Ekblad Montour

I can probably go on

More importantly, Hanifin choked on important games. Dude is the opposite of Sam Bennett. What he showed in the Oilers series was one of the all time embarrassment.

Treliving chose to go with guy like Hanifin and Lindholm instead of Tkachuk and Bennett is the reason he is no longer with the Flames
Montour had a single season better than Hanifin. Power isn't there yet. Lol at Trouba being better.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Montour had a single season better than Hanifin. Power isn't there yet. Lol at Trouba being better.
He asked for one, I gave a whole bunch

Some of the guys are debatable but I have to admit I don’t like Hanifin that much. He is not bad but not really great at anything and choked every time they need him. Just watch his last playoff series and you know what I mean.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Man, Tkachuk is such a great hockey player. In Calgary, and in Florida, but it's nonsense like the Muzzin puck flip, and what he did tonight is just stupid. Just play hockey, do what you do best.
Here's what I'm talking about in case you didn't see it. He ended up getting 14 PIM for this play.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I want to criticize Tkachuk, but there is definitely method behind that. Generating offsetting penalties (if he was successful) would favour Florida in that situation.

Stajan did exactly that against the Ducks to set up Gaudreau's late tying goal in 2015.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I’ve been consistently so unimpressed with Eastern conference teams for years now. Other than Tampa, when they’re firing on all cylinders, the rest of them just don’t have what it takes

Toronto, Boston, Carolina already need to take a strong look in the mirror. But if this ends in a sweep or in 5, some serious changes need to be made within their orgs

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
lucked out that the Coilers got schooled by the knights this might have been their best shot. Vegas LTI-ghts are gonna close it out

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You look at Vegas, and you think what could have been for Calgary.
There's not a prospect or pick that I was against moving in an Eichel deal. Shame on Treliving and Co. for not pulling the trigger when they were so close. There's a real chance right now that the two guys who are in the running for playoff MVP for their respective teams could have been playing together for Calgary this year.

Reactions: Boomstick

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Are we going to ignore the fact Bennett was out there for Florida's most important shift in almost 30 years, kept the play alive before Tkachuk scored, and then assisted on OT winner after making a nice shifty play at the blueline?

This org buried him on the third line with AHLer Jankowski and the corpses of Troy Brouwer and James Neal. And people who were there for it all got promoted.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
You look at Vegas, and you think what could have been for Calgary.
There's not a prospect or pick that I was against moving in an Eichel deal. Shame on Treliving and Co. for not pulling the trigger when they were so close. There's a real chance right now that the two guys who are in the running for playoff MVP for their respective teams could have been playing together for Calgary this year.

Wasn’t the asking price for Eichel Tkachuk+ though?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Are we going to ignore the fact Bennett was out there for Florida's most important shift in almost 30 years, kept the play alive before Tkachuk scored, and then assisted on OT winner after making a nice shifty play at the blueline?

This org buried him on the third line with AHLer Jankowski and the corpses of Troy Brouwer and James Neal. And people who were there for it all got promoted.
The worst part is that isn't even the worst thing we did to him. After a pretty dominate playoff run where he had been buried in the lineup in the regular season, Bennett wanted to go back to center as he felt most comfortable there so our dumbass leadership said ok welcome to the 4th line.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The problem isn't the Flames' treatment of Bennett, it's that Bennett wasn't what we needed him to be in the first place. We drafted him as our future #1 centre. We were meant to go Bennett Monahan Backlund down the middle. Now he's in his prime and Backlund is still the superior player. Everything else is crying over spilt milk.

We have Kadri occupying the spot Bennett would have if he was still here, and I'd love to hear arguments about what Bennett can do that Kadri can't do better.

Do you think Florida got where they are by crying over Marchessault and Smith succeeding in Vegas?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Tkachuk should have been on the first plane to Buffalo for Eichel
Nah. But any of the other rumored assets should have been. I thought Tkachuk being part of it was false info fed to Weekes by someone in Buffalo to drive up the price

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The problem isn't the Flames' treatment of Bennett, it's that Bennett wasn't what we needed him to be in the first place. We drafted him as our future #1 centre. We were meant to go Bennett Monahan Backlund down the middle. Now he's in his prime and Backlund is still the superior player. Everything else is crying over spilt milk.

We have Kadri occupying the spot Bennett would have if he was still here, and I'd love to hear arguments about what Bennett can do that Kadri can't do better.

Do you think Florida got where they are by crying over Marchessault and Smith succeeding in Vegas?
Bennett wouldn’t be costing this team 7m dollars for the next 6 seasons. Even if he’s marginally worse, he’s much younger and would’ve cost this team less money.

Cap space we could desperately use.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bennett wouldn’t be costing this team 7m dollars for the next 6 seasons. Even if he’s marginally worse, he’s much younger and would’ve cost this team less money.

Cap space we could desperately use.
He would have cost that if he was the player we needed.

As it stands, Bennett didn't want to be our 3C, so short of him actually being better than Backlund or Lindholm there wasn't really a future here without intentionally making the team worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad