GDT: 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He would have cost that if he was the player we needed.

As it stands, Bennett didn't want to be our 3C, so short of him actually being better than Backlund or Lindholm there wasn't really a future here without intentionally making the team worse.
Bennett didn’t want to be our #3C? Source?

If he’s getting Kadri money than that’s great! We have our first and a player in their prime rather than a past their prime player.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Glad Treliving is gone. He missed out on a great chance to get Mark Stone and Jack Eichel. Look at them now. Congrats Vegas, I'm impressed. I hope Aiden Hill wins the Conn Smythe, but that's probably a long shot.

Hopefully our new Coach and GM can build a winner. Vegas has a pretty good blueprint on how to play effective hockey through 60 minutes.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Glad Treliving is gone. He missed out on a great chance to get Mark Stone and Jack Eichel. Look at them now. Congrats Vegas, I'm impressed. I hope Aiden Hill wins the Conn Smythe, but that's probably a long shot.

Hopefully our new Coach and GM can build a winner. Vegas has a pretty good blueprint on how to play effective hockey through 60 minutes.

I'm pretty sure we didn't get Stone because he wouldn't sign an extension here.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm pretty sure we didn't get Stone because he wouldn't sign an extension here.
That could be true. I remember we were heavily involved in talks to acquire him.
Sucks, I know he's got injuries, but he's a heck of a hockey player.

I think this Vegas team plays with so much heart, desire, and determination and that's what was completely lacking in our season last year.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
That could be true. I remember we were heavily involved in talks to acquire him.
Sucks, I know he's got injuries, but he's a heck of a hockey player.

I think this Vegas team plays with so much heart, desire, and determination and that's what was completely lacking in our season last year.

It was something like they weren't willing to trade Valimaki unless they knew he would re-sign long-term. Looks stupid in hindsight because we gave up Valimaki for free but he had great value at the time.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The Denver Nuggets trophy presentation last night was one of the worst things I’ve ever seen in team sports. The new NHL has its own problems but the Stanley Cup presentation still feels so special

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
The Denver Nuggets trophy presentation last night was one of the worst things I’ve ever seen in team sports. The new NHL has its own problems but the Stanley Cup presentation still feels so special

The NBA's presentations have never been great so I didn't expect much. That one was bad though.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Treliving grossly overpaying for Hamonic but not willing to pay up for Eichel sure is something.

He's gonna do so well in Toronto
I said after it happened that even if the Flames simply didn't have the assets to outbid Vegas that it all goes back to the atrocious Hamonic trade.

If Buffalo valued Tuch and Krebs over Mangiapane, Zary and whatever else I can't blame them at all but you have to think if we had a Dobson or Wahlstrom (2 years ago) to add to the package or to make one of our other guys expendable that Jack Eichel would've ended up a Flame.

Reactions: Boomstick

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder what Connor McDavid is thinking about today?

cut.jpg

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I wonder what Connor McDavid is thinking about today?

View attachment 718013
If he's smart, he has to realize that hockey is a team sport and individual awards don't mean as much as The Stanley Cup. McDavid is still the best player in the sport, and he deserves the money he gets, but you need an incredible supporting cast which they don't have at all. The Nurse contract is going to kill them. They want to get rid of Campbell which would probably cost them picks to move, When Leon's contract comes up in 2 years he'll probably want to jump ahead of whatever Matthews signs for. If they sign Leon at a huge raise, how do they afford Connor? If Leon leaves, does Connor leave too? I can't wait for the implosion in Edmonton. I love watching them get bounced every year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If he's smart, he has to realize that hockey is a team sport and individual awards don't mean as much as The Stanley Cup. McDavid is still the best player in the sport, and he deserves the money he gets, but you need an incredible supporting cast which they don't have at all. The Nurse contract is going to kill them. They want to get rid of Campbell which would probably cost them picks to move, When Leon's contract comes up in 2 years he'll probably want to jump ahead of whatever Matthews signs for. If they sign Leon at a huge raise, how do they afford Connor? If Leon leaves, does Connor leave too? I can't wait for the implosion in Edmonton. I love watching them get bounced every year.
Its gotta grind on McDavid to see Jack Eichel, who was drafted #2 the same year McDavid was taken, winning the big one. I suspect Connor is feeling a little depressed right now.

Reactions: Boomstick

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Its gotta grind on McDavid to see Jack Eichel, who was drafted #2 the same year McDavid was taken, winning the big one. I suspect Connor is feeling a little depressed right now.

I don't think Eichel specifically would bother McDavid. But VGK slapping them out of the playoffs in the semis and then going on to winning the big one probably stings a bit more.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I don't think that's a real rivalry. Other than the pre-draft hype to try and generate interest there is nothing else to suggest they may not like each other.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With regards to McDavid and Eichel my post wasn't really referring to any personal animosity between the two players (although I certainly wasn't as clear as I should have been about that) I was thinking that here you have the two biggest players taken in the 2015 draft and both have had personal success (one much more than the other obviously) but career wise they both were in similar situations when it comes to playoff success and winning the SC. Then Eichel manages to extract himself from that awful situation in Buffalo and a year and a half later he's hoisting the SC. To me it seems that it must really grind McDavid's gears to see his draft rival hoisting that cup while he himself is still exiled in Edmonton with probably very little hope of getting out any time soon. That's gotta be a bit depressing. McDavid is probably saying to himself... 3 more years, 3 more years.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
This got me browsing eliteprospects. In the last 35 years or so, 1st overall draft picks have won the cup pretty as many times as 2nd overall picks (not counting wins, but players that have won the cup at some point).

Also the 2003-2011 run for cup for 1st and 2nd overall picks is crazy, and after that it's only been MacKinnon (2013 draft) and Eicher (2015 draft).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad